C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is it a 08 C300 Sport, Luxury or neither???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 W202
Is it a 08 C300 Sport, Luxury or neither???

I have searched this forum and Google but can’t figure this out. I have been looking into purchasing a 2008 C300, but I am having trouble figuring out if it is a Sport or Luxury edition. All of the searches suggest that the grill on a Luxury will have the standing hood star but not the big star in the middle of the grill. I have now seen a few 2008 models that appear to be luxury edition (wood grain, non-staggered wheels, etc.) yet have the flat hood star and sport grill (big star). Was there an early 2008 model C300 that came this way our are these modified? I checked out two of these C300s and they have clear Carfax report, so and don’t believe they were wrecked and repaired incorrectly… I am very confused. Perhaps the earliest of U.S. C300 models were neither Sport nor Luxury editions…

Anyway, if anyone has any insight into this please share.

Thanks,
J
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
You could order the conversion when getting a sport model, and get the luxury grill (no star) or vice versa (luxury model WITH sport kit and star)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
You could order the conversion when getting a sport model, and get the luxury grill (no star) or vice versa (luxury model WITH sport kit and star)
from the factory the only conversion is available to put the sport bits on a luxury, a luxury grille conversion is not available from the factory on an ordered car, but you can get the parts from the parts dept of any MB store.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200 Estate Kompressor W204, 2018 GLA 220d
Originally Posted by J Mesa
I have searched this forum and Google but can’t figure this out. I have been looking into purchasing a 2008 C300, but I am having trouble figuring out if it is a Sport or Luxury edition. All of the searches suggest that the grill on a Luxury will have the standing hood star but not the big star in the middle of the grill. I have now seen a few 2008 models that appear to be luxury edition (wood grain, non-staggered wheels, etc.) yet have the flat hood star and sport grill (big star). Was there an early 2008 model C300 that came this way our are these modified? I checked out two of these C300s and they have clear Carfax report, so and don’t believe they were wrecked and repaired incorrectly… I am very confused. Perhaps the earliest of U.S. C300 models were neither Sport nor Luxury editions…

Anyway, if anyone has any insight into this please share.

Thanks,
J
All those mods that you mentioned above can be obtained as aftermarket parts from various outlets. Depends what the car is advertised as, a sport or luxury. If you are really confused still then the dealer should be able to tell you by running the VIN number thru the system.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
See if the options include the 772 Package (AMG Appearance Package). You can also usually tell by the rear valance of the car. If it is bare black plastic- it is a Sport. If it is color-matched- it is a Luxury.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
See if the options include the 772 Package (AMG Appearance Package). You can also usually tell by the rear valance of the car. If it is bare black plastic- it is a Sport. If it is color-matched- it is a Luxury.
that is the best way, nobody is gonna change the whole bumper cover to convert one way or the other. the grilles are easily changed tho. The luxury has a color matched bumper and the diffuser that is in between the exhaust tips is the color of the car. The sport has the black flat plastic in between exhaust tips, thats a good way to tell. Or the VIN as mentioned above......good answer AKA
Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 PM

1999 C43 W202
Now that I have done a bit more searching (with help from you guys) it looks like the Luxury version with the sport grill is pretty common. I don't suspect that all of these are individuals moding their luxury models themselves, rather MB dealers sold them this way (there are just too many out there). Either way, both look good. I like the Luxury model with the sport grill, now I am just worried that the suspinion\brakes aren't up to the Sport models specs. Now I need to research those items.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
heres your research............the brakes are exactly the same in both models, the sports have drilled front rotors, and I believe (not positive) the luxury has solid front rotors, either way I highly doubt u would see a difference brakewise. The suspension is kinda different, the luxury uses the same cartridge up front, diff strut out back, and diff springs front and back, they sit higher up by like 3/4" F+R and ride softer, more plush. Not as sporty if your looking for a driving car, you would have to do coilovers or at least spring change to get a sporty ride, no biggie tho really to do. I personally dont like the rear of the luxury car too much, the diffuser on them is kinda weird looking, not as sporty as the sport model out back. The lines on the ground effects are diff on the luxury model, I do kinda dig the grille and star, a couple guys here did them on the sports model to be different
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by J Mesa
Now that I have done a bit more searching (with help from you guys) it looks like the Luxury version with the sport grill is pretty common. I don't suspect that all of these are individuals moding their luxury models themselves, rather MB dealers sold them this way (there are just too many out there).
MB parts sold the sport grill & emblem as a conversion kit, which many also bought (at a discount) and self installed. And, many sport owners went to an aftermarket front grill, and sold their sport grill to Lux people like GF and I.

Either way, both look good. I like the Luxury model with the sport grill, now I am just worried that the suspinion\brakes aren't up to the Sport models specs. Now I need to research those items.
1) Brakes the same, as Jimmy said.

2) do you really need slight upgrade in sway bars and springs?

3) you've been told how to tell if it's a real Sport. Also look at the lower grill mesh, sports are wider at bottom, luxes are rectangular.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Wink

Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
heres your research............the brakes are exactly the same in both models, the sports have drilled front rotors, and I believe (not positive) the luxury has solid front rotors, either way I highly doubt u would see a difference brakewise. The suspension is kinda different, the luxury uses the same cartridge up front, diff strut out back, and diff springs front and back, they sit higher up by like 3/4" F+R and ride softer, more plush. Not as sporty if your looking for a driving car, you would have to do coilovers or at least spring change to get a sporty ride, no biggie tho really to do. I personally dont like the rear of the luxury car too much, the diffuser on them is kinda weird looking, not as sporty as the sport model out back. The lines on the ground effects are diff on the luxury model, I do kinda dig the grille and star, a couple guys here did them on the sports model to be different
We have a small difficulty here with terminology. The Lux (like mine) has solid discs in the rear and ventilated discs in front which are not cross-drilled. That's also a misnomer since the holes are cast in, not drilled. Discs with any kind of holes can develop cracks in time but cool better, marginally in a street car.

The Lux does not have a body kit at all which is the main exterior difference from the Sport which is improved by it's body kit. The Lux does not have a diffuser at all but just a removable panel. I doubt that the so-called diffuser of the Sport versions has any aerodynamic benefit at all but is purely cosmetic and yes, it looks good.

I am one who swapped the grill for the Sport version right away but I still miss the hood star, maybe for aiming purposes. I felt that the grille change along with good tires on the 18" AMG wheels and the 5mm spring pads narrowed the gap between the Lux and Sport in re: handling although the turn-in of the Sport still has the edge. Well, OK, the grille doesn't change the cornering much.

The one and only reason I bought the C300 Lux over the C350 was the mandatory black interior in either Sport model.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by RLE
I am one who swapped the grill for the Sport version right away but I still miss the hood star, maybe for aiming purposes.

I think the grille star looks great, but I enjoy the standing star. I appreciate with W203 for not making me choose.