C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Another question regarding belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
c300 sport
Another question regarding belt tensioner

So I am about 3 months into my c300 (used out of warranty). When I purchased the car it was making that chirping noise form the belt. The dealer replaced the belt and all was good. I recently changed the oil myself and the very next day the chirping was back. I read some where that I may have spilled some oil on the belt so I applied some belt conditioner and the noise went away. Now it is back again... I apply more conditioner and it goes away for a few days.

I have read a lot about the belt tensioner issue with these cars but if that is my issue wouldn't the noise be constant and not go away with an application of the conditioner? I am think about taking a pressure washer to the belt for a good cleaning in case I did spill some oil on it.

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 4MATIC 2008
I had the same chirping issue around 80k, it was the tensioner not applying enough pressure on the belt anymore, causing the belt to ''chirp'' on some pulleys. Replaced it myself and it was all smooth and silent again.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Did the dealer replace the belt without charge? How far out of warranty are you? Does the cars service history show a complaint about the chirping while it was under warranty?
Since this is a common enough issue to have a Technical Service Bulletin, the dealership should replace the tensioner for free if it had this problem while under warranty and, if not, may do it without charge as it is a build/design issue.
Good Luck
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
c300 sport
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Did the dealer replace the belt without charge? How far out of warranty are you? Does the cars service history show a complaint about the chirping while it was under warranty?
Since this is a common enough issue to have a Technical Service Bulletin, the dealership should replace the tensioner for free if it had this problem while under warranty and, if not, may do it without charge as it is a build/design issue.
Good Luck
Yes the dealer replaced the belt... Regarding a TSB; I have searched NHTSA and could not find a TSB for this problem. Is there one?

Thanks