C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Trunk misaligned after slammed shut overloaded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Trunk misaligned after slammed shut overloaded

Hello everyone this is my first post and I'm hoping you all will be able to help me. My friend loaded my trunk full and then slammed it shut. Now the trunk is severely misaligned and there is a significant gap on the left side. It does latch closed but it appears the metal hinges have been bent. Anybody know where I could buy the hinges or what I should do? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk misaligned after slammed shut overloaded-photo-1.jpg   Trunk misaligned after slammed shut overloaded-photo-2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
You could buy it here for $91:

http://genuinemercedesparts.com/part...iagram=5777394

Its part #11 but I have no idea how to change it. I would assume its pretty straightforward but i've never looked into removing the hinges before.

I hope your friend is going to pay for hinge. Good luck to you
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 PM

C300 Sport 4Matic
Thanks for your help! He better pay lol.

Originally Posted by Domm
You could buy it here for $91:

http://genuinemercedesparts.com/part...iagram=5777394

Its part #11 but I have no idea how to change it. I would assume its pretty straightforward but i've never looked into removing the hinges before.

I hope your friend is going to pay for hinge. Good luck to you
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Nk2985
Hello everyone this is my first post and I'm hoping you all will be able to help me. My friend loaded my trunk full and then slammed it shut. Now the trunk is severely misaligned and there is a significant gap on the left side. It does latch closed but it appears the metal hinges have been bent. Anybody know where I could buy the hinges or what I should do? Thanks!
Instead of doing what you are doing, go the body shop that your dealer uses and ask them to adjust the trunk lid.

Hand the bill to your friend and from now on don't let others abuse your car.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Some people call these things mistakes... after a while you tend to realize most are habitual offenders.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Your friend is an *******.

/thread

#hiremetofixit
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by RLE
Instead of doing what you are doing, go the body shop that your dealer uses and ask them to adjust the trunk lid.

Hand the bill to your friend and from now on don't let others abuse your car.
Agreed. I have packed a trunk pretty full and cringed at the fact that things were just a bit snug when I gently closed the lid. To pack it so full that it bends the metal when you forcefully slam it shut is simply beyond understanding.

Originally Posted by dcjwlee
Some people call these things mistakes... after a while you tend to realize most are habitual offenders.
So true. You have to keep a mental note of the more accident prone and simply careless people in your life and keep them far away from your more delicate/precious things...
Old 01-04-2021, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 C300 Sport 4Matic M276 w/ Renntech Stage 1
I recently had this issue, so thought I would post how I fixed it for anyone who stumbles across this thread when troubleshooting:

I was talking to my mechanic, and I was able to get it fixed without bringing it in. He said that this likely happened due to overfilling the trunk, which caused one of the springs to get out of whack. To fix it, pop open your trunk and push it with quite a bit of strength towards your rear windshield. You are going to hear some creaking coming from the springs, but this is normal. You will likely need to push harder than you think, as I didn't get it first time, as I was afraid of breaking something, and had to do it twice after getting his confirmation to push harder.
The following users liked this post:
Rheeva (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 12:47 PM

2011 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Smile Thanks for this!

Originally Posted by picuron
I recently had this issue, so thought I would post how I fixed it for anyone who stumbles across this thread when troubleshooting:

I was talking to my mechanic, and I was able to get it fixed without bringing it in. He said that this likely happened due to overfilling the trunk, which caused one of the springs to get out of whack. To fix it, pop open your trunk and push it with quite a bit of strength towards your rear windshield. You are going to hear some creaking coming from the springs, but this is normal. You will likely need to push harder than you think, as I didn't get it first time, as I was afraid of breaking something, and had to do it twice after getting his confirmation to push harder.
Thank you! I have been afraid to do this. My husband and friend both tried this and I freaked out and stopped them. I'll let my husband try it the way you've suggested and hope this works. The dealership will be a costly lesson.

Last edited by Rheeva; 04-28-2022 at 12:47 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 07-08-2022, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c3500 4matic
Originally Posted by Rheeva
Thank you! I have been afraid to do this. My husband and friend both tried this and I freaked out and stopped them. I'll let my husband try it the way you've suggested and hope this works. The dealership will be a costly lesson.
Did this method work? Does the trunk lid need to be full opened when pushing on it, nearly closed, or somewhere in between? I have the same issue, caused by the lid being blown closed while something was in the trunk lip by the hinge. Would love to know if this can be fixed without replacing the hinge. Looking forward to any comments. Thanks.