C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How to make C300 go faster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300
How to make C300 go faster?

I have heard some people say that a G-force chip apparently makes it faster with an extra 60 horsepower and 20 lbs ft of torque. To me it's too good to be true. What do you all think? And how might you suggest for a C300 to go faster? Thanks
Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Add an x-pipe and be satisfied that it sounds faster
Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Or, swap out the antisway bars and improve the tires, and you will make the car faster wherever there are corners. Remember, anyone can mash an accelerator for a straight line, but fully exploiting driving skills in braking/cornering makes you faster because you're a better driver!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 PM

c63
trade it in for a c63?

otherwise.. tune, headers/exhaust work, turbo
Old 06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Drive it down a mine shaft. Easier & cheaper.

These engines are not economical to modify for realistic improvements.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck

So sad that everyone wants high performance at the price of a pill... Believe me, it's not that simple, nor should the "right way" ever be cheap.... even though a new chip or reprogramming the chip already there is an integral part of any engine power mod, it never should be the only thing... a true tuner takes a holistic approach to the canvas... in my shop it can cost as much as the car itself or more, which is hard to convey to new customers who almost always love the finished product regardless of the price. PS: Try and find someone in your area that has a G-Force already installed.... (go to your local dealers and spread the word through the Parts counter/Service techs) then take it for a spin first, BEFORE you buy. Check for mid range dead spots or hesitation from stand-still, look for soot and over blackened tail-ends, a sure sign of misadjusted trim-levels, ask the owner about fuel milage and/or detonation, overheating, or just running hotter than normal etc etc... hate to say, but we throw their chips away more than I like to admit.

Last edited by MBRedux; 06-10-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache

lol...my first thought was "off a cliff" but a mine shaft is close enough.

I agree with Domm that while adding an x-pipe might not make it any faster, it is at least a little more satisfying while running through the gears.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by _timothy
trade it in for a c63?

otherwise.. tune, headers/exhaust work, turbo
Haha I'm only 16 right now. My parents won't let me handle that kinda power just yet.

And thanks for the advice guys.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204

Glyn while we're on the topic I would love to hear your opinion on ECU tunes on the W204 in particular, perhaps Eurocharged for example:

http://www.eurocharged.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=99

I picked them because I think they are reasonably priced compared to Renntech and Kleeman.

Do you think that as long as you use the proper octane fuel (93+), an ECU tune is making the engine work more efficiently and in its most optimum way therefore creating more power? Or is it a bad aftermarket way of squeezing out power and shortening engine life? I would also love it if a tune like that could help the throttle response, I know there are other factors, but the ECU has to be one if them.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by C300Sport
lol...my first thought was "off a cliff" but a mine shaft is close enough.

I agree with Domm that while adding an x-pipe might not make it any faster, it is at least a little more satisfying while running through the gears.
Mineshafts - especially SA ones 4 Km's deep - give you more time to hit terminal velocity than cliffs.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
The only way to make a 300 go faster is to get a 350.
There is no way a computer tune will give you 60 hp on a N/A engine. If you do everything possible to this engine you will not get 60 extra hps out of it. About only thing you can do is a computer tune good for solid 15 hp on a good day with filters and some exhaust work. And you're done.

Do some nice wheels instead. At 16 you don't need to go faster, you need to go smarter. instead concentrate on becoming a good driver so later you can enjoy a high-powered vehicle properly and safe. And not like this guy..... Happend a block from my house

Last edited by malahhaor; 06-11-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:20 AM

2008 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by malahhaor
The only way to make a 300 go faster is to get a 350.
There is no way a computer tune will give you 60 hp on a N/A engine. If you do everything possible to this engine you will not get 60 extra hps out of it. About only thing you can do is a computer tune good for solid 15 hp on a good day with filters and some exhaust work. And you're done.

Do some nice wheels instead. At 16 you don't need to go faster, you need to go smarter. instead concentrate on becoming a good driver so later you can enjoy a high-powered vehicle properly and safe. And not like this guy..... Happend a block from my house
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s61E...e_gdata_player
Lol damn that must blow .Thanks for the advice man I'll stick with some rims and tints for now.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by smehdic300
Lol damn that must blow .Thanks for the advice man I'll stick with some rims and tints for now.
See if you can get your folks to send you to the Teenage Defensive Driving program at either Bob Bondurant or Skip Barber racing schools. No matter how much you know, you will learn quite a bit more, and the experience was lots of fun...very cool...both my kids enjoyed it so much, they wanted to go back for the more advanced classes!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
On an very old 68 2L I6 Triumph GT6, I a least doubled the hp on the engine by porting, polishing, recontouring the combustion chambers then CC'ing the chambers formed at TDC, and balancing anything that moved. I followed the British Leyland Compition manual (except for trip weber DCOE's) written for SCCA DP compition by the guy that later took over Tech Management of that Nissan team in the celebrated "Prototype Class".

But these days stock engines are 5-axis machined to creat most of what I did by hand.

Actually, for short blasts of speed, adding a 75 hp Nitrous Oxide system with 6 injectors would give you your power at best cost. You just need to spend a week with an expert to be sure it's designed correctly and is absolutely safe. The concept is great: the flashing of the high pressure N02 into the ports helps cool the intake charge, and carries dense O2 that you would only get with a turbo/supercharger --- but without the heat of compression, just the oppossite. I think a retune is mandatory, as well as a pro control system.

Last edited by kevink2; 06-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
Glyn while we're on the topic I would love to hear your opinion on ECU tunes on the W204 in particular, perhaps Eurocharged for example:

http://www.eurocharged.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=99

I picked them because I think they are reasonably priced compared to Renntech and Kleeman.

Do you think that as long as you use the proper octane fuel (93+), an ECU tune is making the engine work more efficiently and in its most optimum way therefore creating more power? Or is it a bad aftermarket way of squeezing out power and shortening engine life? I would also love it if a tune like that could help the throttle response, I know there are other factors, but the ECU has to be one if them.
LSA - I'm not going to get into an argument with Eurocharged. My experience of ECU tunes is that they take away somewhere to give you somewhere else - usually at the expense of driveability or taking power & torque up the rev range. A little more is possible with guaranteed fuel density & higher octane that allows greater timing advance which is almost impossible for the average driver.

So yes some optimisation is possible in ideal conditions as Benz have to tune for the worst possible conditions for driveability & longevity. You don't want a vehicle that knocks on poor fuel or develops driveability issues at certain temperatures, air density and humidity, altitude etc.

In SA the few that want meaningful performance increase from the MB V6 engines turbo charge them. I know of a few that go like hell but the one off conversions were very expensive - only somewhat ameliorated by good second-hand price maintenance here.

If you want a sleeper & have the bucks I guess this is OK. I would rather just buy an AMG. In fact nearly did but sanity prevailed. They turn me from a spirited driver that appreciates other Benz values into a hooligan.