C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

new 09 c300 4matic - did some modding

Old 06-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c300
new 09 c300 4matic - did some modding

i've had the car for 24 days.

the car is white/black. 28k miles. fully loaded - navi, h/k, roof, bi-xenon, etc.

i did the following:
19" amg replica wheels
red painted calipers
amg rear spoiler
amg rear diffuser
quad tip conversion
black sport grille
32% tint all around
led eyebrows to match bi-xenons
philips diamond fogs to match bi-xenons
clear side markers
chrome bulbs that blink amber (turn signals and side markers)
removed chrome door molding
removed rear badges
magnaflow x-pipe
10" jl w3 + 250/1 jl amp
interior lighting kit

what do you guys think? before anyone says it - i'm not lowering it!
Attached Thumbnails new 09 c300 4matic - did some modding-photo-4-.jpg   new 09 c300 4matic - did some modding-photo-7-.jpg   new 09 c300 4matic - did some modding-photo-5-.jpg   new 09 c300 4matic - did some modding-photo-6-.jpg  

Last edited by vinny2times; 06-30-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
How much did it cost you?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by vinny2times

the car is white/black. 28k miles. fully loaded - navi, h/k, roof, bi-xenon, etc.

i did the following:
19" amg replica wheels
red painted calipers
amg rear spoiler
amg rear diffuser
quad tip conversion
black sport grille
32% tint all around
clear side markers
removed rear badges

going to do an x-pipe and add a powered sub next week then i'm probably done.

looks good!...what are your future updates that you are planning besides the Xpipe and sub
?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM

09 c300
not sure. i'm keeping my eyes open for other mods i see on here that i like, but i go for the whole "stock plus" look. i've been like that with every car i've had.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM

09 c300
i got it for 25k

Originally Posted by snowmuch
How much did it cost you?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM

2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
> before anyone says it - i'm not lowering it!

No need to. Looks good the way it is.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 AM

09 c300
Originally Posted by 2012c350
> before anyone says it - i'm not lowering it!

No need to. Looks good the way it is.
haha good. that's what i like to hear!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 AM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Looks good. Where did you get the quad tips and rear diffuser from?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 AM

09 c300
diffuser was from a member and the quad tips was from another member
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
are those wheel offsets +45?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM

09 c300
yeah - 45 in the front and 45 in the back

Originally Posted by blue00r6
are those wheel offsets +45?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
not sure. i'm keeping my eyes open for other mods i see on here that i like, but i go for the whole "stock plus" look. i've been like that with every car i've had.
If you want to add some good feel to the good looks:

AMG style steering wheel (can be the real thing which is 1" smaller or this lookalike which has the thick rim and contours, but saves $$ by being the OE diameter and therefore, can reuse the same air bag)

http://www.ecklersmbzparts.com/merce...teering+Wheels

Eibach antisway bars - huge improvement in steering response and handling and has NO effect on ride height. I also won't lower my car, but wanted something much more responsive...this did it very well!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:00 PM

09 c300
the eibach anti-sway bars seem like a worthwhile mod. i can't justify spending $800+ for a steering wheel though.

i just installed the x-pipe. it sounds nice. a jl 10" w3 running on a jl 300/1 amp is being installed on tuesday. i'm really excited for that. the c300 is my 6th car and i've never had a sub before. it's going to really compliment the harman kardon system.

i might do the anti-sway bars after that. i'm very happy with the car right now. i've only had it for 30 days, but that's one of the nice things about being 27 years old and making good money. when i was in high school/college it would take weeks/months to save enough money for a decent mod or two.

Originally Posted by Sportstick
If you want to add some good feel to the good looks:

AMG style steering wheel (can be the real thing which is 1" smaller or this lookalike which has the thick rim and contours, but saves $$ by being the OE diameter and therefore, can reuse the same air bag)

http://www.ecklersmbzparts.com/merce...teering+Wheels

Eibach antisway bars - huge improvement in steering response and handling and has NO effect on ride height. I also won't lower my car, but wanted something much more responsive...this did it very well!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Looking good

Maybe painting the headlight housing next?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Benz
Car looks great, I love the quad conversion and the black sports grille, probably the next two things I would want to do to mine.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM

09 c300
Originally Posted by Stryder04
Car looks great, I love the quad conversion and the black sports grille, probably the next two things I would want to do to mine.
thanks man. they are, IMO, "must do" mods. i was really considering the c63 grille, and at the last minute i actually tried to cancel the black sport grille for the c63 grille, but it was too late - it already shipped. it was a blessing though - i like it so much better.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Just a suggestion. you can also change the fog light to a 2011 DRL led strip
Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic Sport

i did the following:
19" amg replica wheels
red painted calipers
amg rear spoiler
amg rear diffuser
quad tip conversion
black sport grille
32% tint all around
clear side markers
removed rear badges
magnaflow x-pipe
10" jl w3 + 250/1 jl amp
interior lighting kit

dude you hooked your car up nice. How much would you say you spent on the mods? I just bought a c300 and want to modify it but i have no idea what to expect in terms of expenses.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
.... i might do the anti-sway bars after that. i'm very happy with the car right now ....
You actually have a C300 Sport 4MATIC, which has 1/2" lower, stiffer springs with stiffer bars, vs the other Luxury model. I often use this test to see if you are a candidate for bars ... do you like to hit exit/entry ramps at high speed ? This is not 100% effective, just a guide. Sportstick likes bars, and is a bit myopic on the subject.

If you are really happy with the currrent set-up, wait a bit before going with bars, as they do reduce the "independence" of your very good German designed independent suspension. If you frequent rough roads, another reason to stay "as designed" with your suspension.

To help people help you, check out this thread:

note-all-members, your-profile

Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 AM

09 c300
i never got the anti-sway bars. i'm satisfied (for now).

i spent about 4k in mods that first month. if you have any questions shoot me a PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
You actually have a C300 Sport 4MATIC, which has 1/2" lower, stiffer springs with stiffer bars, vs the other Luxury model. I often use this test to see if you are a candidate for bars ... do you like to hit exit/entry ramps at high speed ? This is not 100% effective, just a guide. Sportstick likes bars, and is a bit myopic on the subject.

If you are really happy with the currrent set-up, wait a bit before going with bars, as they do reduce the "independence" of your very good German designed independent suspension. If you frequent rough roads, another reason to stay "as designed" with your suspension..
I presume you meant a friendly "enthusiastic" versus the pejorative intent of "myopic". Yes, I am quite enthusiastic about the Eibach developed application of upgraded anti sway bars, having now lived with the car before and after. I agree with your informal test and I do look for cloverleaf and traffic circle "opportunities" to feel some lateral g force...that is fun to me. You are also correct that stiffening the bars does tie the independent sides together more firmly, but in practical application, the ride quality effect is negligible and certainly less than many of the spring modifications others here do primarily for appearance.

The upgraded bars don't change the engineering design philosophy of the suspension...they just move the line a bit toward the stiffer side. MB chose a calibration which they felt would satisfy a wide range of customers. If the OP, like me, is more toward the chassis performance side, we violate no basic principles by nudging the cal a bit tighter. Eibach did an excellent job in product development to balance improved performance with comfort. Our roads in Michigan are not regaled for being billiard table smooth, yet the car is perfectly comfortable here, keeping in mind my butt calibration perceives the Luxury model as unacceptably floaty.

Here's another test...if you got a C because you couldn't afford an E which you actually like better, leave the chassis alone. But, if you like almost everything about your C, but have a corner of your mind where you wish it felt more like a 3 series, upgraded anti sway bars are probably right for you...although it won't get you all the way there...but the steering response alone made it worthwhile......in my "myopic" opinion!

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-12-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
I presume you meant a friendly "enthusiastic" versus the pejorative intent of "myopic".
Webster's defines myopic behavior as "a lack of foresight or discernment," or "a narrow view of something."

Sorry if myopic most often has another meaning.

Yes, I am quite enthusiastic about the Eibach developed application of upgraded anti sway bars, having now lived with the car before and after. I agree with your informal test and I do look for cloverleaf and traffic circle "opportunities" to feel some lateral g force...that is fun to me. You are also correct that stiffening the bars does tie the independent sides together more firmly, but in practical application, the ride quality effect is negligible ...
Interesting we have the same fun with cloverleafs. I actually tuned my Rx7's Eibach bars with race tires on, ~3am, on a big cloverleaf where you could stay in it non-stop with left and right corners.

negligible ?? Just for example purposes, some people have nice houses off of long, poorly kept rough roads, or live where the winters are rough: ie Philadelphia where pot holes are hidden by muddy water that overflows the hole, and frost heaves are severe (vs a Denver winter with good winter streets). In these conditions, the single wheel rate, which is much stiffer due to the big bars, will provide a much rougher ride.

... and certainly less than many of the spring modifications others here do primarily for appearance.
100% agreement

The upgraded bars don't change the engineering design philosophy of the suspension...they just move the line a bit toward the stiffer side. MB chose a calibration which they felt would satisfy a wide range of customers. If the OP, like me, is more toward the chassis performance side, we violate no basic principles by nudging the cal a bit tighter. Eibach did an excellent job in product development to balance improved performance with comfort. Our roads in Michigan are not regaled for being billiard table smooth, yet the car is perfectly comfortable here, keeping in mind my butt calibration perceives the Luxury model as unacceptably floaty.
100% disagree. Companies like Eibach and Racing Beat make an effort to provide suspension kits, where spring and bar rates are kept in balance as the rates are increased. Ideally, some shock upgrade would be recomended.

1) By putting on bars only, you change MB suspension design philosophy.

2) The OP did a lot of Mods, and none were for chassis performance. So your "if" is a real stretch, with nothing to support it.

3) Again, you do voilate MB's suspension calibration.

MB engineers designed the suspenstion as a total package of bars, springs, and shocks (and also bushing durometer and tire type/stiffness). All of these variables are changed as you step up from the Lux model to the Sport model to the C63. OEM Sway bar diameters are calculated to 2 decimal places. Any time you change on of the three main suspension variables, with no proportional change in the other 2 variables, you have violated the MB design philosophy.

That said, I have put sway bar(s) on 90% of the cars I have owned, but they were not suspensions like the C300. In the case of my 83 Classic Saab 900T, it had no bars, so I added the bars (Saab Kit) that came on the next year's model. I donated my instructions from the saab kit to the Saabnet forum:

www.saabnet.com-900swaybar install

Here's another test......but the steering response alone made it worthwhile......in my "myopic" opinion!
Now who is being a jerk ?

Last edited by kevink2; 09-16-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Wasn't it just weeks ago that I had to talk to you, not as fellow forum member, but as moderator, after you wrote a very informative post, but then ended it with a name calling insult to another member in the last sentence? You obviously are a person of great experience, expertise, and knowledge, so why undermine your credibility by resorting to name-calling, especially after being censured for it so recently? It's fine to disagree, even in the extreme, but the name-calling must stop.

Webster's defines myopic behavior as "a lack of foresight or discernment," or "a narrow view of something."

Sorry if myopic most often has another meaning.

No, you have the correct meaning. I was trying to offer you a friendly way to gracefully back away from your tendency to insult, in this case a totally unsolicited reference to "myopic". I was trying to give you credit for having a more pleasant meaning intended, but apparently you do mean to invoke the insult as defined.

Interesting we have the same fun with cloverleafs. I actually tuned my Rx7's Eibach bars with race tires on, ~3am, on a big cloverleaf where you could stay in it non-stop with left and right corners.

negligible ?? Just for example purposes, some people have nice houses off of long, poorly kept rough roads, or live where the winters are rough: ie Philadelphia where pot holes are hidden by muddy water that overflows the hole, and frost heaves are severe (vs a Denver winter with good winter streets). In these conditions, the single wheel rate, which is much stiffer due to the big bars, will provide a much rougher ride.

Yes, there are widely varying conditions across the country and equally varying perceptions of ride comfort versus handling. I was making the point that on the relatively poor roads of Michigan, the ride comfort is quite fine. I am sure we can find a place where even the Luxury model cannot product good ride comfort. The OP has to decide whether his road conditions allow for even the slightest stiffening, whether from upgraded anti sway bars or something else, such as 18" wheels (or larger), for example.

100% disagree. Companies like Eibach and Racing Beat make an effort to provide suspension kits, where spring and bar rates are kept in balance as the rates are increased. Ideally, some shock upgrade would be recomended.

1) By putting on bars only, you change MB suspension design philosophy.

2) The OP did a lot of Mods, and none were for chassis performance. So your "if" is a real stretch, with nothing to support it.

3) Again, you do voilate MB's suspension calibration.

MB engineers designed the suspenstion as a total package of bars, springs, and shocks (and also bushing durometer and tire type/stiffness). All of these variables are changed as you step up from the Lux model to the Sport model to the C63. OEM Sway bar diameters are calculated to 2 decimal places. Any time you change on of the three main suspension variables, with no proportional change in the other 2 variables, you have violated the MB design philosophy.

Perhaps our differing visions result from your expertise in modifying cars once built, while mine comes from being inside a major auto manufacturer for a couple of decades. It is quite clear to me from having been in the meetings and on the pre-production road trips that many dynamic objectives are calibrated for the average target customer. MB understands that some will buy the C Class Sport for looks, some for status, and others for different reasons. Not all (or even many) seek significant handling improvement at a negligible ride quality trade-off. As such, they aim for the middle two quartiles of the distribution for preference, which makes perfect business sense. However, this in no way invalidates the ability for someone who is outside the average to move the needle a bit.

Ultimately, your warnings are speculative as it seems you have not lived with a C300 with Eibach anti sway bars, and I have for a couple of years. The OP can decide as they wish...I have no stock in Eibach and am just trying to share a potentially enjoyable outcome for others.

Now who is being a jerk ?

As I said, this language is unacceptable and I regret that you cause me to have to invoke Moderator responsibilities rather than just discuss the substance of the issue as a fellow forum member. In my final comment, I was merely using self-directed sarcasm about your original insult...but, you need to find a way to resist having to call someone a name. Perhaps write your otherwise interesting and informative posts, and then delete the last sentence before posting? I hope we can all move on now with a more positive attitude.

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
To be honest Sportstick, I spent quite a bit of time on that last post. I went out to buy some stuff, and on the way home, I had been thinking of a better way of expressing how I felt about your smiley use. I got on the computer 1/2 hr ago, but you had alredy pounced on me. More later.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
To be honest Sportstick, I spent quite a bit of time on that last post. I went out to buy some stuff, and on the way home, I had been thinking of a better way of expressing how I felt about your smiley use. I got on the computer 1/2 hr ago, but you had alredy pounced on me. More later.

Smileys, teasing, humor, etc., are all parts of the forum....let's just agree that we're not going to directly call others insults/names and we'll all be fine. Can we move on?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new 09 c300 4matic - did some modding