C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Headrest is floppy....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350/'08 w204
Headrest is floppy....

For lack of a better term, my driver's headrest is limp. It hasn't been engaged as if it were in an accident, but I cannot adjust the headrest in the forward-aft motion. That is, if I pull out toward the front of the vehicle it should stay positioned, but it falls back down. This just started a couple months ago.

Anyone have some knowledge to share?? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
I don't have any information on how to fix it, but it should be fixed soon. The headrest, as you know, has a safety feature if you ever got into an accident.

I think your manual has a diagram on how to reset the safety feature if its ever engaged. Maybe you should look it at to see if it helps you in your current situation.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by Domm
I don't have any information on how to fix it, but it should be fixed soon. The headrest, as you know, has a safety feature if you ever got into an accident.

I think your manual has a diagram on how to reset the safety feature if its ever engaged. Maybe you should look it at to see if it helps you in your current situation.
Thanks. I realize the safety function of the headrest, but this is unrelated. Has more to do with making the adjustment for comfort. I have no doubt that my car is safe to drive. Just looking for someone who has experienced this problem and might have a fix before I have to drop tons of money for a repair.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Eickecc
Thanks. I realize the safety function of the headrest, but this is unrelated. Has more to do with making the adjustment for comfort. I have no doubt that my car is safe to drive. Just looking for someone who has experienced this problem and might have a fix before I have to drop tons of money for a repair.
There is no actual role in comfort for a head restraint. It is not a "rest". If the restraint is not properly positioned behind the further rearward portion of your skull, it will not perform optimally, so you may, indeed, have a safety concern in the event of being impacted in the rear. Given the value of your head, I suggest repair soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by Sportstick
There is no actual role in comfort for a head restraint. It is not a "rest". If the restraint is not properly positioned behind the further rearward portion of your skull, it will not perform optimally, so you may, indeed, have a safety concern in the event of being impacted in the rear. Given the value of your head, I suggest repair soon.
Yep. I get it. It's definitely a safety concern. So do you have any insight into the actual problem I'm describing?

Just wondering if there is some obvious fix that I'm missing. For instance: it's off track, or it needs to be reset somehow, or these restraints tend to go bad, etc.

Just to clarify, I know it's safety related and I plan to have it fixed. Just not at 7:15 pm on Sunday. Please don't take this sarcastically. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Eickecc
Yep. I get it. It's definitely a safety concern. So do you have any insight into the actual problem I'm describing?

Just wondering if there is some obvious fix that I'm missing. For instance: it's off track, or it needs to be reset somehow, or these restraints tend to go bad, etc.

Just to clarify, I know it's safety related and I plan to have it fixed. Just not at 7:15 pm on Sunday. Please don't take this sarcastically. Thanks in advance.
Without actually seeing it try to move, I am sorry I cannot offer any specific help. Glad you will be attending to it!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Without actually seeing it try to move, I am sorry I cannot offer any specific help. Glad you will be attending to it!
Thanks anyway. I'm just looking to walk into the dealership informed, that's all.