C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Worst Luck Ever???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst Luck Ever???

So, This is my first post on the forum, just wanted to introduce myself and tell you all a really bad, but kind of funny story about my first Mercedes experience. (Don't get discouraged and think this is an Anti Merc thread, it starts off rough, gets way worse, but then better at the end.)

So I was out driving cars looking for a change, and on the recommendation of my mother took out a used C300, which I wound up falling in love with. I decided to purchase it, pulled into the dealership got out of the car, and another sales person came up and said, may I see the keys for a second. I obliged and handed them to him, at which point he quite literally snapped at me, and took the keys saying, this car is not for sale any longer. So go find another one. Well, he was very rude about it, so I decided to go to another dealership. I kept looking around for 3 or 4 days, I must have been to a dozen dealerships trying to find a car that I really liked, at the price that I wanted. Some were better than others, some were very nice, some seemed irritated dealing with me. When I picked up the, I was being a hassle vibe from the rep I would just write that dealership off and go to another one. One dealership I drove 2 hours to get to, to find out the car REEKED of cigarettes. The worst was from this absolutely gorgeous dealership up the road from where I work. I walked in, and decided this is where I want to buy a car. They had one of the largest show rooms I had ever seen. I walked up to the front counter, no one greeted me. Waited around for about 5 minutes or so, and someone finally came over to say hello. Then he was just very rude. He insulted what I said that I was looking for in a car, saying that it "Wasn't much" of a Mercedes. (A 2011 C300 4Matic.) Well, at that point I decided okay I am done here. I said thanks but no thanks, and left for an appointment that I had at a dealer a few towns up the road.

When I got to this dealership, it was about 7pm or so. They closed at 8, the gentleman that I spoke with on the telephone was outside waiting for me to park, and even had held a parking spot in the very front for me. I was greeted professionally, seriously, and helpfully. He showed me several cars, one of which met all of my criteria and more. Following a brief professional and non frustrating negotiation, I felt that I had received an acceptable and fair offer. I told them that I would be by in the morning to complete the transaction. He had stayed well beyond the close of business. The following morning, I received a last minute call for a business trip out of state. So off to the airport I went. I called and apologized saying that I had to run, but I would like to complete the transaction over the telephone / fax if possible. And that I would return the following day to complete the paperwork.

They worked very hard dealing with several special issues with my purchase. Financing and registering out of state. After several dozen phone calls they told me that everything was in order and to come in to sign the paperwork when I got back into town.

My flight landed at about 4pm, I headed over to the dealership and was there at about 6. As I am pulling into the lot, there she is beautifully detailed, wonderful looking. A sprinter was parked next to it. I park my car and get out, an employee gets in the sprinter, fires it up, and takes a turn to sharply and clobbers the front end of my C300!!!!!! I was literally 15 feet away when this happened. I just knew in my mind that it was mine, it had to be. I just walked over to it. Shook my head, and walked inside.

Once inside my sales person greeted me. He was very kind again, and very happy to see me. He stated, I have it all ready to go sitting just out front, did you see it on your way in?

My reply, Yes sir, but unfortunately someone in that utility van hit the front end on my way into the building.

He was stunned, and thought I was joking at first. I explained, no sir, I am not joking and motioned for him to look.

The sprinter had about a 3 - 4 foot gash going down the side of it, on that shiny metal plate on the back quarter panel.

At this point, there was quite a lot of people outside taking photos and scratching there heads.

The GM came over and was very apologetic, and very concerned. Obviously they believed they were going to lose a sale over this.

To be fair, the damage was very minor, mostly cosmetic, however requiring a new lens for the headlamps a new turn indicator and some paint. At worse it would need a front bumper. It wasn't impact damage just a big scratch. Well they offered several things at this point. Obviously I could have bailed out of the deal, or he said they could complete the deal and issue me a loaner car until my car was repaired. Or I could take it for a few days, and they would have someone meet me at my office to take the car in for repairs and leave me a loaner. And that it was up to me.

They sweatened the offer a little so I was getting a VERY Very good deal on the car, and guaranteed the repairs to me. I decided to go ahead and take the car at this point under one stipulation. I pulled the GM the the side and said that I have one more condition to the purchase of this car. He said, okay go ahead. My response, "I would like your word that you will not terminate the employee who hit my car." He gave me his word, at which point I shook his hand and said we have a deal. I hope he keeps his word.

It wasn't ideal, but to be honest it was kind of funny. I hope to be able to purchase from that dealership again, even if I am out of state. They did a fantastic job from before I walked in the door until the transaction was complete. I will keep you posted on the status of the repairs. It certainly could have happened, anywhere, in any parking lot. And at least now, I don't have to worry about finding it damaged for the first time. Because well, that all ready happened.

Aside from this one very bad luck situation though, that dealership was awesome. I felt like a valued customer, who was buying a world class car, and who was receiving world class service. As my budget continues to expand I am sure that I will be visiting them again. Too bad for the other really "nice" dealership.

Last edited by elcid79; 06-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250 4matic
Originally Posted by elcid79
So, This is my first post on the forum, just wanted to introduce myself and tell you all a really bad, but kind of funny story about my first Mercedes experience. (Don't get discouraged and think this is an Anti Merc thread, it starts off rough, gets way worse, but then better at the end.)

So I was out driving cars looking for a change, and on the recommendation of my mother took out a used C300, which I wound up falling in love with. I decided to purchase it, pulled into the dealership got out of the car, and another sales person came up and said, may I see the keys for a second. I obliged and handed them to him, at which point he quite literally snapped at me, and took the keys saying, this car is not for sale any longer. So go find another one. Well, he was very rude about it, so I decided to go to another dealership. I kept looking around for 3 or 4 days, I must have been to a dozen dealerships trying to find a car that I really liked, at the price that I wanted. Some were better than others, some were very nice, some seemed irritated dealing with me. When I picked up the, I was being a hassle vibe from the rep I would just write that dealership off and go to another one. One dealership I drove 2 hours to get to, to find out the car REEKED of cigarettes. The worst was from this absolutely gorgeous dealership up the road from where I work. I walked in, and decided this is where I want to buy a car. They had one of the largest show rooms I had ever seen. I walked up to the front counter, no one greeted me. Waited around for about 5 minutes or so, and someone finally came over to say hello. Then he was just very rude. He insulted what I said that I was looking for in a car, saying that it "Wasn't much" of a Mercedes. (A 2011 C300 4Matic.) Well, at that point I decided okay I am done here. I said thanks but no thanks, and left for an appointment that I had at a dealer a few towns up the road.

When I got to this dealership, it was about 7pm or so. They closed at 8, the gentleman that I spoke with on the telephone was outside waiting for me to park, and even had held a parking spot in the very front for me. I was greeted professionally, seriously, and helpfully. He showed me several cars, one of which met all of my criteria and more. Following a brief professional and non frustrating negotiation, I felt that I had received an acceptable and fair offer. I told them that I would be by in the morning to complete the transaction. He had stayed well beyond the close of business. The following morning, I received a last minute call for a business trip out of state. So off to the airport I went. I called and apologized saying that I had to run, but I would like to complete the transaction over the telephone / fax if possible. And that I would return the following day to complete the paperwork.

They worked very hard dealing with several special issues with my purchase. Financing and registering out of state. After several dozen phone calls they told me that everything was in order and to come in to sign the paperwork when I got back into town.

My flight landed at about 4pm, I headed over to the dealership and was there at about 6. As I am pulling into the lot, there she is beautifully detailed, wonderful looking. A sprinter was parked next to it. I park my car and get out, and employee gets in the sprinter, fires it up, and takes a turn to sharply and clobbers the front end of my C300!!!!!! I was literally 15 feet away when this happened. I just knew in my mind that it was mine, it had to be. I just walked over to it. Shook my head, and walked inside.

Once inside my sales person greeted me. He was very kind again, and very happy to see me. He stated, I have it all ready to go sitting just out front, did you see it on your way in?

My reply, Yes sir, but unfortunately someone in that utility van hit the front end on my way into the building.

He was stunned, and thought I was joking at first. I explained, no sir, I am not joking and motioned for him to look.

The sprinter had about a 3 - 4 foot gash going down the side of it, on that shiny metal plate on the back quarter panel.

At this point, there was quite a lot of people outside taking photos and scratching there heads.

The GM came over and was very apologetic, and very concerned. Obviously they believed they were going to lose a sale over this.

To be fair, the damage was very minor, mostly cosmetic, however requiring a new lens for the headlamps a new turn indicator and some paint. At worse it would need a front bumper. It wasn't impact damage just a big scratch. Well they offered several things at this point. Obviously I could have bailed out of the deal, or he said they could complete the deal and issue me a loaner car until my car was repaired. Or I could take it for a few days, and they would have someone meet me at my office to take the car in for repairs and leave me a loaner. And that it was up to me.

They sweatened the offer a little so I was getting a VERY Very good deal on the car, and guaranteed the repairs to me. I decided to go ahead and take the car at this point under one stipulation. I pulled the GM the the side and said that I have one more condition to the purchase of this car. He said, okay go ahead. My response, "I would like your word that you will not terminate the employee who hit my car." He gave me his word, at which point I shook his hand and said we have a deal. I hope he keeps his word.

It wasn't ideal, but to be honest it was kind of funny. I hope to be able to purchase from that dealership again, even if I am out of state. They did a fantastic job from before I walked in the door until the transaction was complete. I will keep you posted on the status of the repairs. It certainly could have happened, anywhere, in any parking lot. And at least now, I don't have to worry about finding it damaged for the first time. Because well, that all ready happened.

Aside from this one very bad luck situation though, that dealership was awesome. I felt like a valued customer, who was buying a world class car, and who was receiving world class service. As my budget continues to expand I am sure that I will be visiting them again. Too bad for the other really "nice" dealership.
Sounds like a lot of dealers working at Mercedes have gotten quite stuck up. Good luck with your car!!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks, I am really excited about getting a new car, and particularly the Merc. I have been driving a BMW for years now so this was a big change and a big transition for me.

As for the apparent arrogance, well its just silly and uncalled for. I know a lot of people with a whole lot of money that don't drive super nice cars. I also know a lot of people with a whole lot of nothing driving really nice cars. And when that attitude starts costing you sales, which impacts your pocketbook you are only hurting yourself. Particularly in this area where there are quite literally a dozen dealers within a two hour drive.

But as I said, the last dealership was awesome. I will post who they are once I get my car back. Very nice people.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Congratulations and welcome! That is a great story, well told, and I can already tell you have a deep streak of humanity that I sometimes have trouble finding. My side comment in the "moment" to the GM probably would have included some frustration-based reference to "addition training"! You also have quite some endurance and patience! Enjoy your car!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 AM

To be fair, I composed myself for a few minutes outside before going into the dealership, while I surmised how bad the damage was. What is particularly funny is that the car I was trading in had a very similar damage spot on it, that I got the DAY after I started looking for cars. Someone scratched up the rear end.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM

'08 C350
Welcome to Mercedes bro, "The Best, Or Nothing!"
Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Welcome to the forum Great story. Glad it worked out in the end
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM

2008 C300
very nice of you for adding that stipulation! I wish there would be more ppl like you..welcome to the forums
Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM

2015 C300
That was a great story... a few sentences made me grimace, but all turned out ok!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 PM

C220 CDI Sport
Lol that was quite a read! Funnily enough, if it was my brother that bought the car, he'd probably demand the van driver be sacked!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
Great 'short story'! Well written and enjoyable.
And now you and your car have that special 'something'... a bond between you. It will be a good car! Enjoy many happy miles!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Thanks, I am glad that you all enjoyed the read. I have been a huge BMW fan for years with that said this is my first Merc. I suppose all is well though now that BMW doesn't have an F1 team any longer this is for the best. :-D Happy roads, I am sure I will be on and off from time to time to check in.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 PM

2009 C300 Sport
great story from a great person who deserves a great car! congratulations on the purchase and drive in good health sir!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 986 Likes on 722 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Bravo to you for your stipulation. All the best with your new car!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 PM

I received a phone call from the Mercedes dealership today on behalf of the body shop. They are going to replace the scratched headlamp and then repaint the entire fender. Plus recenter all of the pieces that shifted and replace the side turning indicator that was cracked. It should be ready on Monday. So it only took about 2 days to repair. I will post photos in a few days....
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
I'm glad that you never game up and that you finally got your ride.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Well 2 days was a bit overly optimistic.... Should be done tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:20 PM

They repaired and repainted the fender but the headlamp is on order and will be in next week.

Well, the side part of the fender has about a 1/2 cm gap that's not present on the other side. (between the fender and quarter panel.) Then on the top side of the damaged headlamp there is a slightly larger / slightly more noticeable gap than normal between the headlamp and hood. Do any of you have any experience with these sort of repairs? On this car is it pretty simple as in just adjusting a bolt? Or is this sort of repair more complicated. They said that they would adjust the fender when the new lens is being installed next week? Is this over optimism? Am I going to have to replace the fender after all or can these spacing issues be resolved pretty easily.

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Originally Posted by elcid79
They repaired and repainted the fender but the headlamp is on order and will be in next week.

Well, the side part of the fender has about a 1/2 cm gap that's not present on the other side. (between the fender and quarter panel.) Then on the top side of the damaged headlamp there is a slightly larger / slightly more noticeable gap than normal between the headlamp and hood. Do any of you have any experience with these sort of repairs? On this car is it pretty simple as in just adjusting a bolt? Or is this sort of repair more complicated. They said that they would adjust the fender when the new lens is being installed next week? Is this over optimism? Am I going to have to replace the fender after all or can these spacing issues be resolved pretty easily.

Thanks in advance,
John
I am inclined to believe that the damage may be more than cosmetic.
Ask them to replace the fender, it may reveal much more.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Okay so I took a couple of photos to show you all. I will put the normal side first, then the damaged side.

Normal headlamp spacing -

Look at the spacing between the hood and the headlamp.

Normal front fender -

Abnormal fender spacing (between quarter panel and fender.)