C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Top Speed Auto - Quad Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Hey guys, just saw this thread. Glad I could be of some inspiration and hopefully I can be of some help/clarification. I usually always do straight pipe setups when modifying my exhaust. Reason being because my cars are leased and its easier to just drop the entire stock exhaust from the catalytic converter and run new pipe back for simple re-install.

As far as my 2009 C300 went, that was a straight pipe from the cat - leading to Tru-X magnaflow x-pipe (in place of the factory resonator) - and then going straight into a second set of stock exhaust tips I purchased (muffler delete). I never did quad exhaust on that car or replaced the diffuser, just changed the sound but kept the look the same.

On my 2012 C250 Coupe (with the quad exhaust tips), the setup is a bit different. As the drone was really bad on my C300 without resonators or mufflers, I wanted a muffler on this setup. So after dropping the factory exhaust from the cat back, I put in a single magnapack muffler in the location of the factory resonator (you can see it at the front of the vehicle in that picture of the undercarriage). I then used a Y-Pipe welded straight onto the end of the magnapack to have two pipes going to the back of the car for the quad exhaust.

I really like this design, and there is barely ANY drone on the highway, and while the exhaust is loud when you're driving hard, it never gets annoying - rather, its a pleasant sound you want to hear (that was the whole point of doing an exhaust mod). It is also very simple. If I had a v6 again which has two exhaust pipes coming from the engine, I would try to mimic this design of a single centralized muffler.

I would try to replace the factory resonator and see if a combination dual in/dual out dual function x-pipe/muffler combination piece can take the place of the resonator. This way you can have a single muffler, the awesome x-pipe sound and then just run new pipes to the exhaust tips, and have them centered so that you can use these quad exhaust tips. You save weight, and the installation is very simple.

I am talking about something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17552/

However, I'm not sure of horizontal clearance and if it could fit.

Last edited by jctevere; 09-10-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
213 C250 Coupe
any updates? did you install the plain tips?