C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Startup Engine noise Explanation from MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C350
Startup Engine noise Explanation from MB

hey guys,
To my experience, I usually get a stuttering startup noise after the car has been turned off for a few hours then turned back on (when the weather is warm/hot). I know there are threads on this topic before, but i finally got the Dealer to reproduce it! does this sound right?

Job #2
PROBLEM B OWNER STATES IF CAR SITS FOR AROUND 2 HOURS THERE IS A CLATTERING N
NPF NORMAL OPERATION....SEE TECH COMME (N/C)
CONFIRMED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT; FOUND NOISE NORMAL AFTER SITTING FOR A
WHILE THE OIL DRAINS DOWN INTO THE OIL PAN AND THE LIFTERS LOOSE OIL
PRESSURE DURING THE VEHINCLE SITTING TIME; AFTER STARTING THE LIFTERS
WILL CHATTER UNTIL FULLY PRESSURIZED WITH OIL.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Yup! Sounds right and makes perfect sense to me, especially if your car has over 15k miles or more. Is EuroMC's your dealership? Hope it's the Germantown branch!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
My 350 sometimes stands for days & the lifters do not loose prime & are silent. Noise can also be camshaft adjustors & timing chain hydraulic tensioner until oil pressure comes up. My engine is silent on all counts.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
My 350 sometimes stands for days & the lifters do not loose prime & are silent. Noise can also be camshaft adjustors & timing chain hydraulic tensioner until oil pressure comes up. My engine is silent on all counts.
Except it's hot as hell here in Maryland where it's expected to reach 104'F ! I agree, they should not bleed-down, but you must admit, it can happen on one or two over time, especially during hellish weather. The chain tensions do as well, and can be costly to replace. Maybe it's a little of both. Either case, it's okay unless they fail to pump-up and go silent.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM

'09 C350
I must say i am jealous! =P but yeah.. i've complaint about this every time i put in my car to the Dealership, at least this time they actually reproduced it and gave me an answer.

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Except it's hot as hell here in Maryland where it's expected to reach 104'F ! I agree, they should not bleed-down, but you must admit, it can happen on one or two over time, especially during hellish weather. The chain tensions do as well, and can be costly to replace. Maybe it's a little of both. Either case, it's okay unless they fail to pump-up and go silent.
and MD's weather is hot and humid! yeah man i only go to the Euromotors in Germantown, my SA seems to be a cool guy and i can trust him.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by dadangman
I must say i am jealous! =P but yeah.. i've complaint about this every time i put in my car to the Dealership, at least this time they actually reproduced it and gave me an answer.

and MD's weather is hot and humid! yeah man i only go to the Euromotors in Germantown, my SA seems to be a cool guy and i can trust him.

I have it at start up as well on my '08 C350, I was very concerned the first time I heard the " ba ba ba ba ba baa " sound, so contacted my advisor and he said what Glyn is saying, cam adjusters waiting to get pressure??? hmmmm either way, they all seem to agree it is ok.

Why does everyone seem to use "Loose" in place of "Lose" on this forum? ;-)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Because it sometimes sounds the same... Rather than saying "lose", I/we/they (hopefully not you) say "loose", then we gets all confused.

Besides the example above (i.e. then vs. than), some of the most common are:

Their/there/they're
To/Two/Too

English is a funny language.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Scat01
I have it at start up as well on my '08 C350, I was very concerned the first time I heard the " ba ba ba ba ba baa " sound, so contacted my advisor and he said what Glyn is saying, cam adjusters waiting to get pressure??? hmmmm either way, they all seem to agree it is ok.

Why does everyone seem to use "Loose" in place of "Lose" on this forum? ;-)
You are of course quite correct.

This US centric forum & working for a US company all my life. I just gave up my British education.

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct...frB4s5FMnPljbA

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-26-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 PM

C350/'08 w204
hey guys,
To my experience, I usually get a stuttering startup noise after the car has been turned off for a few hours then turned back on (when the weather is warm/hot). I know there are threads on this topic before, but i finally got the Dealer to reproduce it! does this sound right?

Job #2
PROBLEM B OWNER STATES IF CAR SITS FOR AROUND 2 HOURS THERE IS A CLATTERING N
NPF NORMAL OPERATION....SEE TECH COMME (N/C)
CONFIRMED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT; FOUND NOISE NORMAL AFTER SITTING FOR A
WHILE THE OIL DRAINS DOWN INTO THE OIL PAN AND THE LIFTERS LOOSE OIL
PRESSURE DURING THE VEHINCLE SITTING TIME; AFTER STARTING THE LIFTERS
WILL CHATTER UNTIL FULLY PRESSURIZED WITH OIL.

Thanks for the info....I feel this explanation is right on. Sometimes when I start my car, I listen with my eyes closed to imagine what conditions/parts would produce the noise. This description is exactly what I've been imagining.

The confirmation is very reliving.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944

Of course it's not normal. The "explanation" is designed to pacify owners. Last time I looked at the fiche for the oil pump in my departed M271, I saw a checkvalve on the output whose job is to prevent drainback.

I went through the same thing with my Porsche long ago.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look, although i know some dealers love to BS and pacify their clients, most are in the business of extracting as much cash from your wallet as possible. Therefore, if they thought it was bad, they would have made up some other BS story to make it sound much worse than it really is, with the intention of ripping off the client. So it all depends on the severity of the "noise" along with the duration before it goes silent. Hydraulic lifters have built in check valves. For all or most of them to go at once would mean either the engine was beaten to death, or way over-revved or both. So I would guess that Glyn is correct that it's the chain tensioners. That check valve I believe is located in or near the oil filter housing. If the problem persists, go back or go to another dealer and have them check out the tensioner/and check valves for proper operation.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:20 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Look, although i know some dealers love to BS and pacify their clients, most are in the business of extracting as much cash from your wallet as possible. Therefore, if they thought it was bad, they would have made up some other BS story to make it sound much worse than it really is, with the intention of ripping off the client. So it all depends on the severity of the "noise" along with the duration before it goes silent. Hydraulic lifters have built in check valves. For all or most of them to go at once would mean either the engine was beaten to death, or way over-revved or both. So I would guess that Glyn is correct that it's the chain tensioners. That check valve I believe is located in or near the oil filter housing. If the problem persists, go back or go to another dealer and have them check out the tensioner/and check valves for proper operation.
So, are you guys aware of any DYI method to check the chain tensioners or the check valves on the lifters?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
hey guys,

CONFIRMED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT; FOUND NOISE NORMAL AFTER SITTING FOR A WHILE THE OIL DRAINS DOWN INTO THE OIL PAN AND THE LIFTERS LOOSE OIL PRESSURE ... WILL CHATTER UNTIL FULLY PRESSURIZED
It seemed the op was implying no noise at 1st morning start-up, which is inconsistent with dealer answer. But I guess he did have the 1st start chatter.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by RLE
Of course it's not normal. The "explanation" is designed to pacify owners. Last time I looked at the fiche for the oil pump in my departed M271, I saw a checkvalve on the output whose job is to prevent drainback ....
That sounds like a check valve to prevent loss of prime to the oil pump. I think the pressurized oil supply to some/all lifters can bleed back from the significant volume inside the plunger (before the internal check valve). It's a matter of how the oil gallery is set up in the head and block. The oil path that feeds the lifters may have a common connection to the branch that supplies the mains, and could possibly bleed back through that or another oil branch.

generic hyd lifter for pushrod:

Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 AM

Mercedes CLS350
Hi Guys,

I know this topic is a bit old, but I have serious concerns about a noise that came up few days ago. Here's a video:

Are you talking about the same sound when you have to replace this timing chain tensioner?
Also I have 1 error and I'm not sure if it's related to that noise:
0060 Continuous Stored camshaft adjustment (RIGHT) : Incorrect position of the exhaust camshaft (P0015)

I'm concerned it could the balance shaft although I don't see the check engine light. The car is CLS 350 MY2005.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 PM

C300 4matic
Originally Posted by jivko2886
Hi Guys,

I know this topic is a bit old, but I have serious concerns about a noise that came up few days ago. Here's a video:
CLS350 noise on start up - YouTube

Are you talking about the same sound when you have to replace this timing chain tensioner?
Also I have 1 error and I'm not sure if it's related to that noise:
0060 Continuous Stored camshaft adjustment (RIGHT) : Incorrect position of the exhaust camshaft (P0015)

I'm concerned it could the balance shaft although I don't see the check engine light. The car is CLS 350 MY2005.

Thanks!
I was just researching this. I have the same thing going on on my 2008 C class during start up. Same exact sound as in that video. I have no errors though. I would like to know more as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Mercedes CLS350
Originally Posted by HK416
I was just researching this. I have the same thing going on on my 2008 C class during start up. Same exact sound as in that video. I have no errors though. I would like to know more as well.
I sent a PM to Rodney with the annoying sound and he told me that it's comming from the the Air Pump. I think the original name is Air Injection Smog Pump(not sure).
The air pump is a pollution control device. It only run when the engine is cold to pump fresh air into the exhaust until the catalytic converters heat up.
According to him we can drive like this as this shouldn't cause any damage to the engine. I found few deals in ebay for $175 but I'm not sure if they're brand new. I guess it means that the MB price will cause me a headache but I'll check it tomorrow anyway.
About the error from my first post - it's the cam magnet.

P.S. Many many thanks to Rodney again
Old 04-27-2016, 04:49 PM

s 350
Dose this sound lifter ?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:31 AM

c63 amg 2009
question

Originally Posted by raymanss
Wierd sound in MB s63 w221 - YouTube
Dose this sound lifter ?
hello you can solve the noise at start?
please you can tell me ?
i have this problem now
thanks
alberto
from argentina
Old 09-13-2017, 03:07 PM

CL63
Originally Posted by raymanss
Wierd sound in MB s63 w221 - YouTube
Dose this sound lifter ?
thanks, I have been looking for info regarding this sound on my 2008 CL63, did you find out what it was?