C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

'10 C300 vs '13 Altima 3.5SV vs '10 CTS AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C300 vs '13 Altima 3.5SV vs '10 CTS AWD

Hi Guys!

I am having an extremely tough decision on what car to get for a DD. I should be able to get a decent '10 C300 AWD with approx 30-40K miles for around $25-26K (after some negotiation), this is the same case for the CTS AWD (a bit larger which is preferable), and a '13 Altima 3.5 (also a bit larger) should also be around $25-26K. I am stuck, I don't know what to do. The Altima has been redesigned this year and is newer (and is supposed to be good), the C300 and CTS are more luxury oriented though. I would want something dependable and fun to drive and with good fit and finish. The reason I am considering the CTS and C is because they have a little bit of a higher status - but do you think it is worth it? This is an extremely stupid question, but please help me...with a little bias as possible . Please feel free to express all of your wise opinions.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
My choice ould be between the C300 or the Altima. I love my C but the Altima is definitely a bigger car and will have more bang for the buck.
Hate to say it- but unless you are looking at a 2012 C- I would lean towards the Altima.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Drive them all as close to back to back as you can and see which one "speaks" to you the most.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
I took a look and sat in the new 2013 Altima. It looks good from outside. To me, the interior quality / attention to detail is one notch down from C-Class.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Drive them all as close to back to back as you can and see which one "speaks" to you the most.
Agreed. That's the correct way to decide.

As for reliability, I'd expect The Altima to be somewhat better and also less expensive to maintain.

If you get a used C300, factor in the cost of getting an extended warranty - it'll certainly come in handy and save you from unexpected costs down the road.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Depending on what options the 3.5SV has for that price would sell it for me. If it has the adaptive bi-x, nav, and Bose option I'd go with the Altima.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Depending on what options the 3.5SV has for that price would sell it for me.
270 HP to the front wheels? Uhh... I bet they had to electronically limit the power in lower gears to avoid massive torque steer.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pete7874
270 HP to the front wheels? Uhh... I bet they had to electronically limit the power in lower gears to avoid massive torque steer.
The Acura TL, Nissan Maxima, older Altimas, etc have been sending that much power and more to the front wheels for a decade now without any major issues. It's not as good as RWD but it's not a deal-breaker, either.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Yup, as far as I know the TL limits power in lower gears for that reason. I suppose you can live with it. For me, if the choice is between FWD and AWD, like in OP's case, I'd go for AWD.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ford Fusion
I know the warranty isn't the driving factor in your decision, but in case you wanted to compare warranty rates on the two vehicles, you can do so at www.extended-vehicle-warranty.com. The plans are underwritten and administered through Mercury Insurance Group, and you will probably see some fairly decent rates on these vehicles.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
I have not driven the 2013 Altima, but the previous models with the CVT transmission, and I absolutely hate that stupid transmission. I rented one last year and drove it to Miami from Chicago, and back. It wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be and the trans was making the engine noise very very annoying. Almost like it was sucking the life out of it. If I was you I would highly consider the Cadi
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM

C240 4MATIC, ML320
I would go with the C-Class just because "The best or nothing" slogan truly fits all recently new mercedes... Not looking at power, or torque or HP because i'm not familiar with all that... but Mercedes makes their cars to perfect standards and they're for true connoisseurs all around the world. (G-Class for those desert towns with some nice roads to drive on as well, C-Class 4 Matic for moderate winters, M-Class with Low Range for those harsh winters, Slk for those single speeders, CLK for those Luxury owners who want power, GLK useful yet powerful and fun, and all of those SLS and CLS for the true power/luxury lovers who are willing to get the best of the best out there. ... P.S. soon to come: the new Mercedes GLA light sport utility!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by I<3my4MATICc240
I would go with the C-Class just because "The best or nothing" slogan truly fits all recently new mercedes... Not looking at power, or torque or HP because i'm not familiar with all that... but Mercedes makes their cars to perfect standards and they're for true connoisseurs all around the world. (G-Class for those desert towns with some nice roads to drive on as well, C-Class 4 Matic for moderate winters, M-Class with Low Range for those harsh winters, Slk for those single speeders, CLK for those Luxury owners who want power, GLK useful yet powerful and fun, and all of those SLS and CLS for the true power/luxury lovers who are willing to get the best of the best out there. ... P.S. soon to come: the new Mercedes GLA light sport utility!!!
This advertisement brought to you by...

There are a lot of people who do buy Mercedes and find that the "Best or Nothing" slogan is pretty meaningless. Buying a Mercedes because it is a Mercedes is something that lots of people but there are plenty of other good cars out there.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by I<3my4MATICc240
I would go with the C-Class just because "The best or nothing" slogan truly fits all recently new mercedes... Not looking at power, or torque or HP because i'm not familiar with all that...
Thanks for the laughs. I needed that.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Pete7874
Thanks for the laughs. I needed that.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
I've heard that the 2013 Honda Accord is something to take a look at. Redesigned with lots of new functions and around your price range. It also is probably extremely reliable since it's a Honda, though i'm not a fan of the new fog lights.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Domm
I've heard that the 2013 Honda Accord is something to take a look at. Redesigned with lots of new functions and around your price range. It also is probably extremely reliable since it's a Honda, though i'm not a fan of the new fog lights.

I have always liked Hondas but over the last decade, they just can't seem to get things right. The new Accord is a solid enough looking car but what is up with the driving light bezels???
Kind of like the Acuras, decent looking cars but that big buck tooth grin just kills it. I thought they would do like Audi did with the big mouth look and develop it into something nice, but they just can't seem to make it work.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I have always liked Hondas but over the last decade, they just can't seem to get things right. The new Accord is a solid enough looking car but what is up with the driving light bezels???
Kind of like the Acuras, decent looking cars but that big buck tooth grin just kills it. I thought they would do like Audi did with the big mouth look and develop it into something nice, but they just can't seem to make it work.
If you don't like those lights, you should see the new RLX headlights

I hated the redesigned generation and it seemed like they were toning the beak down every year. The ILX was a big improvement in terms of styling and I thought it'd be a hit until I saw the engine specs I'm not sure where Acura is headed with their sedans. Their SUVs seem to be keeping the company afloat while they go through this phase.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
I agree w/ those who've said that you need to take a test drive b/f making up your mind. I have a C-class and love it, but, if I were trying to keep the cost in the mid-20s, I think a brand-new and recently re-designed car (w/ a full warranty and from a company that presumably makes fairly reliable and relatively cheap-to-maintain cars) would be pretty tempting.

What kind of driving do you do? The C-class is enjoyable to drive, but it's not a sports car (even in Sport trim) and, if you're just puttering around town, I don't know if it's going to be *that* much more enjoyable. And if you regularly carry shuttle around more than 2 people, it isn't a great choice. And the 2008-2011 models had pretty drab interiors....

Having not been particularly satisfied w/ my 2003 Accord (a little too big; poor sightlines; not the bulletproof reliability that I had been expecting), I think Honda NA is resting on its laurels and isn't the same company that it was 15-20 yrs ago....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Yeah. Any Pre '12 C doesn't seem to be an excellent option, as I would never purchase something due to a badge. Regarding which speaks to me the most; it is more likely that the CTS and C300 will as they are AWD (but also rear wheel oriented). I have heard that the CVT has really been improved over the last generation which did receive some criticism. Reason I am considering the Altima vs Accord is because the Altima has always been known to have a sporting edge over the Honda (however I know that looking for a "sporty" sedan in that affordable midsize segment is pretty pathetic). Howcome nobody has mentioned the CTS AWD. It has been known to be an extremely solid car with a little sporting edge, as well as excellent reliability, all in all, an extremely significant improvement over the crappy cads of the past...right?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by MBWUSER
Yeah. Any Pre '12 C doesn't seem to be an excellent option, as I would never purchase something due to a badge. Regarding which speaks to me the most; it is more likely that the CTS and C300 will as they are AWD (but also rear wheel oriented). I have heard that the CVT has really been improved over the last generation which did receive some criticism. Reason I am considering the Altima vs Accord is because the Altima has always been known to have a sporting edge over the Honda (however I know that looking for a "sporty" sedan in that affordable midsize segment is pretty pathetic). Howcome nobody has mentioned the CTS AWD. It has been known to be an extremely solid car with a little sporting edge, as well as excellent reliability, all in all, an extremely significant improvement over the crappy cads of the past...right?
The pre-2012 vs. 2012 C-class decision would only be for the interior (which is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade). The cars drive pretty similarly (I've driven 2008, 2010, and 2012 versions fairly extensively).

I would say that Nissan perhaps in general has a more sporting reputation than Honda (and even that's questionable, given that Honda came up the S2000 and NSX), but I don't know if the Altima itself is more sporty. More powerful? Yes (although the current Accord has a similarly powerful engine now, no?). Less refined (which might be confused for being more sporty)? Probably. But genuinely sportier? Not so sure about that. As much as I disliked the Accord, it did have nicely and fairly well-weighted precise steering, comfortable seats, and was clearly engineered by a team that understood what constitutes driving pleasure (vs., for example, the last-gen Camry). It's just not overtly sporty. And the current gen is HUGE.

Can't answer why someone hasn't brought up the CTS AWD. I'm sure it's vastly improved over past Cadillacs (it'd be hard not to improve upon them....), but I personally still don't find modern Cadillacs to be hugely compelling, even though I'd never fault someone for choosing one for themselves. The RWD CTS has gotten rave reviews from just about every auto mag (including Consumer Reports.... gasp).

I'm big on visibility and seating position, though, and the overly thick pillars on the Cadillac would be a deal-breaker for me. The more upright German cars are the only ones that truly fit my shorter-arm, longer-leg, longer torso build.... I don't enjoy having my hair brush the headliner or not being able to see overhead traffic lights.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
I've never had any experience with Cadillac, so I can't tell you much. I know American car companies have had a record year with recalls recently.

Maybe someone with more experience can enlighten us on the subject.

Besides, you're in a W204 forum *C-Class all the way!*
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Domm
I've never had any experience with Cadillac, so I can't tell you much. I know American car companies have had a record year with recalls recently.

Maybe someone with more experience can enlighten us on the subject.

Besides, you're in a W204 forum *C-Class all the way!*
Recall volume in any given year is not a good measure of overall quality. There have been years when one manufacturer may have more recalls, possibly from a supplier part issue, or assembly plant process issue. Then, the following year, the fickle finger of fate lands on another brand, and does not discriminate between foreign and domestic. Honda and Toyota have had whopper amounts of recalls in certain years. Also consider that heightened recalls may also reflect nothing more than more stringent attention to detail, and may reflect additional caution. For a measure of overall quality, I would still look first to the JDPower Initial Quality Study (IQS) at three months in service, assessing build quality, as well as the Vehicle Durability Study (VDS) at three years in service, to assess longer term reliability.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It should be noted that the Accord coupe pictured above is a concept.. those fog lights will never make production.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBWUSER
Hi Guys!

I am having an extremely tough decision on what car to get for a DD. I should be able to get a decent '10 C300 AWD with approx 30-40K miles for around $25-26K (after some negotiation), this is the same case for the CTS AWD (a bit larger which is preferable), and a '13 Altima 3.5 (also a bit larger) should also be around $25-26K. I am stuck, I don't know what to do. The Altima has been redesigned this year and is newer (and is supposed to be good), the C300 and CTS are more luxury oriented though. I would want something dependable and fun to drive and with good fit and finish. The reason I am considering the CTS and C is because they have a little bit of a higher status - but do you think it is worth it? This is an extremely stupid question, but please help me...with a little bias as possible . Please feel free to express all of your wise opinions.
It's tough to put oneself in your shoes, understanding exactly what combination of status and fun you want. But, I think there is another option which should at least be considered. VW Jetta GLI.....no, not the regular disappointing Jetta with cheap interior and suspension...the real car, the GLI, which has gotten some very good reviews for being a fun car, especially with a stick. It is larger than the C in almost every dimension (although, notably, not wheelbase, being front wheel drive), but not as large as Altima or CTS. If you like the C, there is something about the feel of German cars which the Altima (as good as it appears to be from all reports) just doesn't deliver. For similar economics as you are considering, you get a new car with warranty and not facing a range of maintenance/replacement part issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '10 C300 vs '13 Altima 3.5SV vs '10 CTS AWD