C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ditching Super Sport Springs - What are Most Comfortable and Lowest Coils Available?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Question Ditching Super Sport Springs - What are Most Comfortable and Lowest Coils Available?

Ya I know I have posted about this in other threads, but after driving a little bit more today on my Super Sports and feeling every slight bump in the road as a teeth rattling uncomfortable jolt, the lack of comfort is just not worth it.

So I made up my mind that I am ok with dropping some more coin. You live you learn. Everybody has a different opinion about what is passable comfort and I guess mine is different than many who "love" their supersports.

Now that thats out of the way, I really love the aggressive look of the super sport drop. But I really also like a comfortable ride that doesn't scare my lady everytime we hit a bump.

What is the final word?

H&R street? - AZN says the comfort is like stock.
K1s? - I know these are nice but how is the comfort?
Bilsteins? - I hear these are nice but how low can they go and how is the comfort?

Appreciate any tips or advice you may have.

Thanks
RB
Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Not surprised. Jimmythegreek (installed several) found these "dual rate" springs to be riding on the stiff zone, not the soft as they should be. Could be a batch thing, where some are slightly different and work right, most others ...

H&R Coilovers

h-r-coilover-pics-reviews

Links to H&R at end of this thread.

Last edited by kevink2; 08-04-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c350
Im running Megan EuroStreet coilovers right now . Good drop and I have quite a bit a space left I want to go any lower . The handling is a lot better too . As far as comfort goes its pretty crappy . I have the damping set to the middle so next I get her on the lift I'll put back to zero . Unless you go with bags your ride comfort is going to suffer . You ever think about upgrading the shocks rather than the springs ?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by hitokiri89
Im running Megan EuroStreet coilovers right now . Good drop and I have quite a bit a space left I want to go any lower . The handling is a lot better too . As far as comfort goes its pretty crappy . I have the damping set to the middle so next I get her on the lift I'll put back to zero . Unless you go with bags your ride comfort is going to suffer . You ever think about upgrading the shocks rather than the springs ?
ya been thinking about getting the bilstein B8s, but then figured coils are a safer bet and not much more money but just want to make sure I get the right ones...

but I want the lowered look just not AS harsh/bouncy as super sport
Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
"Unless you go with bags your ride comfort is going to suffer"

Very powerful generalization ... not true. Among the links I supplied, was a thread on H&R CO's and an owner thinks they ride like stock. I've hear this from many that have installed quality CO's. Megan's are less expensive copies from China, H&R built in Germany.

Can't remember the last time I saw "MEGAN" on the side of a race car on Speed Channel, while H&R shows up frequently.

I don't enjoy bashing Megan, but it is what it is.

Rb23lb: please take some full frame pictures of the H&R SS's when you take them off.

Last edited by kevink2; 08-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c350
I'm just talking from personal experience not what brands I see in adds lol seriously bro . Anyway my buddy has a Jetta on FK Automotive coils which are built in germany and his rude quality is no better than my own . I can't say how the hr coils feel but the fact you can't adjust the damping is a deal breaker for . At least with mine and d2 coils who can adjust to your liking . My tires also need to be changed do that also has a bit to do with comfort aswell .
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by hitokiri89
I'm just talking from personal experience not what brands I see in adds lol seriously bro . Anyway my buddy has a Jetta on FK Automotive coils which are built in germany and his rude quality is no better than my own . I can't say how the hr coils feel but the fact you can't adjust the damping is a deal breaker for . At least with mine and d2 coils who can adjust to your liking . My tires also need to be changed do that also has a bit to do with comfort aswell .
Glad the Megan's worked for you. And your right, personal experience is more important than who is sponsering what. My main point was that someone happy with H&R CO's said the ride when cruising was comfortable ... close to stock, and it stiffened up nicely when loaded, as I recall.

H&R CO Review

And your Megans road "pretty crappy" .... perhaps the damping adjusment will help. Based on my experience with koni adjustable shocks/struts, it's better to start at 1/4 stiff vs 3/4 stiff, full stiff being like locked up. But that was Koni's.

Last edited by kevink2; 08-05-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
H&r's ride better than stock. Megan racing are rebranded rokkor, vmaxx etc. they are great for going low but suck for ride comfort. I've had them in several cars. FK are crap too unless you buy the top of the line. All will get you low in a VW or Audi but you definitely sacrifice ride quality. I was heavy into the Audi / vw show scene before coming to benz. You get what you pay for with coils. H&R is the best bang for the buck as far as coils go for or cars. I have almost zero body roll since installing mine. Love em!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Why aren't Bilstein pss9's being considered? Following Kevink2's idea of branding, I would think Bilstein would a primary choice over H&R's specially considering your main concern is comfort. H&R's specialize more in ride heights than comfort where as Bilstein's brand was built around shock absorbers. As I told you in pm, my friend runs the pss9's on his BMW 335 and notes it rides the same if not better than stock.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
Pss9 are twice the price of H&R as are kw v3. Great options but not very cost effective. Both are great coils but very pricey. Can't really comment on either on a Benz though as I have never rode in a car with either. Good point though! If price isn't an concern I'd definitely check both out.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by lindseypfaffo
I can't say how the hr coils feel but the fact you can't adjust the damping is a deal breaker for
That's your call, and fine for you. But the H&R's are for street and modest race type driving, and they engineered the spring and shock to work together. I believe there is a healthy market for these CO's with adjustable ride height only.

Originally Posted by Knightmare69
Why aren't Bilstein pss9's being considered? Following Kevink2's idea of branding, I would think Bilstein would a primary choice over H&R's specially considering your main concern is comfort.
No doubt Bilstein is among the highest quality shock. They only charge $75each to reset the valving to your preference, more or less damping. The equal kit (street + track) that they offer for the C300 is the B12, using B8 shocks.

Bilstein Shocks & Kits, C300-RWD