C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C350 ECU tune and the result is disappointing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Can someone explain why MPH is on the horizontal scale? Never seen a dyno graph that doesnt use RPM as the baseline for both HP and torque.

Attached is a properly proportioned image of the above dyno runs, maybe it will be clear to another reader.
Attached Thumbnails C350 ECU tune and the result is disappointing-dyno.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
I suspect they did not get an rpm source for the runs. Not sure how they do it without plug cables.

But it's easy to get the surface speed of the dynojet drum, which they did. Need to look up tire rolling radius if available, and 4th gear overall ratio, to get rpms @ the engine.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
And ideally you need skimmed tyres or slicks fitted to improve float.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
As soon as my 2010 C300 finishes its extended warranty (January 2014), it will get a Kleemann ECU tune, which claims 30 HP and 30 torque improvements. Anyone who has had the experience of driving a Kleemann E500, supercharged, exhaust & air intake mods, can be confident that they really know what they are doing, despite disparaging words on other threads. Made me want to swap my V12...

NOW what is REALLY needed is a TCU tune (or locking out this stupd "adaptive driving"), I will commission my MB dealer to reset the firmware, and see if they can just lock it there. When the software is first upgraded the 7G works fantastically. Then you get stuck in a traffic jam, and the TCU "learns" that you drive like an octogenarian. The whole concept STINKS and even Top Gear claims the 7G transmission in automatic mode is LAME in the C63 BLACK Series.

Its a crime. Even the C250 with the 7G is a joke, while Ford is releasing the new Mondeo/Fusion with a 2.0L tuned to up to 270 HP and 280 torques, and their Ecoboost 1.0L has set a new "street car" record around the Nurburgring. 200 HP from a 1.0L.

Go figure. To @until the end if you feel more performance , then the $750 was worth it, dyno graphs scientifically done or not.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
I agree with your choice of Kleeman. I think to get those gains in HP, they need to tune more rpm at the top end, and raise the rev limiter. Thats why hp goes up 37, while the torque is a more modest 20 ft-lb gain.

Not sure of the point in talking about the fusion power, in response to bashing the 7G trans ? Does the Fusion have better shifting logic?

My experience was that the TCU learning is not based on one bumper to bumper drive. I could go for a sporty, agressive, low mpg drive a couple times a week to mitigate the learning. I also wish they had a TCU upgrade to eliminate the adaptive nature.

I delayed GF's purchase of the C300 4MATIC in '07, since the 5 speed seemed like an old slush box. But with the 7G in 2008, the trans sold us on the car. Undetectible slip as the trans TC was 98+% locked in all gears, and the logic for manual mode was much better than other cars. For an automatic, I prefered it over the VW/Audi DSG in auto mode.

I also think the TB map is nonlinear (vs a linear opening rade with a cable). If it's anything like the old map in the sprintbooster "white paper", that encourages low rpm shift points.

Last edited by kevink2; 09-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@kevinl2 - Should really discuss the 7G in another thread. But after the huge disappointment the brand new C300 was, within a few weeks I actually DID go out and buy myself a Ford Mondeo, and its the nicest car I own. Other than my V12, attached is a pic from an exotic car charity event in San Diego, shot just minutes ago. The girls are San Diego Charger cheerleaders.

Also have a BMW ZHP in San Diego and THAT really puts the C300 to SHAME. Also had a 330i here in Acapulco which wiped the Merc off the map. Not due to HP issues, but to transmission performance, the 330i having less torque spec'd than the C300.

Plus another 9 vehicles, so my comments about the ECU and the TCU are not idle commentary, and the C300 has only been driven a few times in the 2 1/2 years I have owned it, so great is my disappointment. Actually I will drive it today, just to keep the battery from going flat, then back into the garage, maybe until December?
Attached Thumbnails C350 ECU tune and the result is disappointing-850zeroduich.jpg   C350 ECU tune and the result is disappointing-850girlsch.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Can someone explain why MPH is on the horizontal scale? Never seen a dyno graph that doesnt use RPM as the baseline for both HP and torque.

Attached is a properly proportioned image of the above dyno runs, maybe it will be clear to another reader.

There's a setting to show the rmp. They sent me files for the runs and had me down the software. I never got around to it since that software was only compatible with Windows and I'm running Mac.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
As soon as my 2010 C300 finishes its extended warranty (January 2014), it will get a Kleemann ECU tune, which claims 30 HP and 30 torque improvements.........NOW what is REALLY needed is a TCU tune (or locking out this stupd "adaptive driving"), I will commission my MB dealer to reset the firmware, and see if they can just lock it there. When the software is first upgraded the 7G works fantastically .......
just a few q's:

1) Is it possible to clear the bad adaption in the TCU by disconnecting the battery and depressing the brake?

2) I thought it was mandated in the US that all ecu type controllers have an adaptive system to run more "efficently" ? How does BMW deal with this ?

3) ever consider sprint booster free trial ? gets you a linear gas pedal response @ the TB.

4) "When the software is first upgraded the 7G works fantastically"

By this do you mean a TCU flash?

Last edited by kevink2; 09-09-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@kevink2: I can only answer your No. 4)- as my C300 is built Eurospec

There was a 7G trans TCU software update issued during 2010. The MB dealer missed it during the first A service, but did the update on my request on the second A service. If your W204 was manufactured before around March 2010, then the 7G TCU does NOT have the latest software, unless the MB dealer did an update during a regular service. Later 7G transmissions have the TCU with the latest programming.

The transmission after the TCU software update worked amazingly. Much like the BMWs and the V12 i have. But only for a few drives, then it "learned" that the driver was a deadbeat (definitely not, I can assure you). Accelerator resets done depressing the pedal only half way down (which basically causes it to work as though a Sprint Booster was attached) changes the system response but only for days.

As mentioned above, the C300 got driven yesterday before getting put into storage again to keep the battery charged. On a straight empty stretch of road (no speed limits where I live) completely flooring the C300 resulted in reaching the redline, it hangs there for almost a second while the TCU tries to decide if its function is to shift into a higher gear or maybe the TCU thinks it's a washing machine and ought to start the spin cycle... "No WAIT, I AM a transmission and I should SHIFT" FINALLY effecting a gear change.

It is just LAME. Even the C63 Black series transmission in automatic mode is LAME. But hey this is an engine ECU tune thread, so these comments are just out of place here. Sorry.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c350 arctic White pano. MM HK
We should tray to do TCU remap ???? Is ther any comp. To do it ???? I didnt like the 7G from the 1st day i think the DSG is smother and change faster and yaster day i drove the 535 2012 i dont like BMWs but. The gear changes is way bater then the layse 7G i want to try 7G plus