C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2012 C220 CDI Engine whine and hot wings!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
2012 C220 CDI Engine whine and hot wings!

Dear knowledgeable fellow owners

I have a nearly new C220 (5000 miles) with a few "problems" which may or may not be normal. I wonder if you could offer your views:

1. Engine whine noticeable when parked, run at above 2000rpm, when warm, wheels straight: not noticed when driving, but I don't expect to be able to hear it. Present with or without A/C on.

2. Hot wings! Yes, very hot. Not after every journey, and mainly after low speed driving

3. Uncomfortable driver's seat: my thighs are excruciating after a lenghtly drive

Any opinions or advice on any of these?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Hello chorlton hee,

The 220 CDI engine is noisy at standstill . Wind noise & road noise tend to cover it up when underway. I would describe it as a clattery whine. The next time you are at the dealers , start one of theirs & compare.

I do not know what you mean by hot wings. I would be grateful if you could enlighten me ?.

Is your drivers seat of leather of MBTex? . My 2007 220CDI has the hardest seats I have ever experienced in a car but also the most comfortable after a long drive. I can sit in them for 12 hours straight & not have a twinge!!. I would suggest you trying out different seating adjustments to find the most comfortable. We are all of different size , shape & weight so hopefully the adjustments cope with this.I am long & skinny & don't have a problem but do have a sheep shin throw over to protect the seat.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM

C220
Originally Posted by Carsy
Hello chorlton hee,

The 220 CDI engine is noisy at standstill . Wind noise & road noise tend to cover it up when underway. I would describe it as a clattery whine. The next time you are at the dealers , start one of theirs & compare.

I do not know what you mean by hot wings. I would be grateful if you could enlighten me ?.

Is your drivers seat of leather of MBTex? . My 2007 220CDI has the hardest seats I have ever experienced in a car but also the most comfortable after a long drive. I can sit in them for 12 hours straight & not have a twinge!!. I would suggest you trying out different seating adjustments to find the most comfortable. We are all of different size , shape & weight so hopefully the adjustments cope with this.I am long & skinny & don't have a problem but do have a sheep shin throw over to protect the seat.
Thanks Carsy

I think I'm being over-sensitive on the engine whine, but the wings (well, that's what we call them in the UK, the metal arch panels over the front wheels) are hot to the touch (sometimes too hot to touch) after certain journeys and remain hot for hours after. I've taken it back to MB and they can find no problem.

The seats are artico leather type and yes, they are hard.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chorlton_hee
Thanks Carsy

I think I'm being over-sensitive on the engine whine, but the wings (well, that's what we call them in the UK, the metal arch panels over the front wheels) are hot to the touch (sometimes too hot to touch) after certain journeys and remain hot for hours after. I've taken it back to MB and they can find no problem.

The seats are artico leather type and yes, they are hard.
We went to town today & checked for red hot chilli wings

My wings are cool when first stopped after a run but after a few minutes they do warm up to a little over blood temp & stay warm for an hour or so.

In my opinion the heat is released from the engine & as the wings are not insulated & are located at the top of the engine ( hot air rises) they become warm to touch. The engine is a big heat sink of around 150 to 250 KG ? .The coolant runs at 92'c alone not to mention the 6.5 litres of hot oil . The exhaust manifold, combustion chambers , block ect would be much higher temp.

All this has to dissipate & obviously finds it way out via your wings . The hot feel would be accentuated if the car is a dark colour & exposed to the sun.

It is a good thing the bonnet is insulated .

I hope that you become used to the seats.

Carsy.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 AM

c220
Hi matey I am also in the uk and drive a 220
These issues seem normal to be honest
We have 2 of the same cars in the household and they both have nosiey engines nothing drastic but noticeable diesel engine noise
Where abouts in uk you from
Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 AM

c220
In the uk we call fenders
Wings Lol
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 AM

SLK
MB 2012 C220 CDI Engine whine and hot wings

This may help for reference…

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-98669.html
Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 AM

C220 W204
The engine whine noise usually appear when I first start the car up after awhile of resting, but then it goes away afterwards. With regard with the hot wing I don't think its anything that the car can't handle
Old 09-22-2012, 05:32 AM

C220
Thanks everyone!

Anybody have the same annoyances about the Audio 20? There should be a "Audio" button, rather than "Radio". When using Nav, if I want to go back and change the MP3 track or Bluetooth stream, pressing Radio stops the current selection. The only way around this, that I have found, is to go to "System" and then scroll back to Audio. Any other hints?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Chorlton,

Enjoy your C 220. In my opinion it is a great little car, with a great balance of handling /ride /comfort/engineering /economy/torque /power & hopefully longevity.

Just stay clear of those "hot wings". If the truth were known I think the heat is coming from your brakes after you have been exercising its performance !!!!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM

C220 W204
Originally Posted by chorlton_hee
Thanks everyone!

Anybody have the same annoyances about the Audio 20? There should be a "Audio" button, rather than "Radio". When using Nav, if I want to go back and change the MP3 track or Bluetooth stream, pressing Radio stops the current selection. The only way around this, that I have found, is to go to "System" and then scroll back to Audio. Any other hints?
If you simply press "Disc" it pretty much returns back to the audio menu for the music source its currently playing on, no matter if you're playing it on USB or bluetooth