C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2008 C350 reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
In addition, if your 2008 W204 was the Sport version with the AMG package, this suspension already has lowered, stiffer springs and different shocks. Even the electric steering control electronics are changed to provide different (read quicker reacting) characterstics, all tied into the ESP, as part of the integral Stability Control.

One can be sure that Bilsteins and H&R coilovers will provide a "different" ride. But will it be better and SAFER? In that instant one needs to avoid a life-threatening situation on the road, how will the Bilstein/H&R combo perform? Will it respond integrally with the steering, and the Agility Control ESP system which takes into account momentum, steering wheel angle, individual rotation of each wheel, braking pressure and measurements from the yaw sensor, to provide a response that could save you and your family's lives from tragedy?

Besides, to finance this substitution, you propose canceling or refunding the extended warranty And if the transmission has a major problem, the air conditioning fails, or the rare but dreaded EIS problem rears its head, whom will pay for THAT?

BTW I am a great Bilstein fan. Have a set of 4 for my V12. However the shocks have been sitting in their original boxes nearly two years, waiting for the moment when the $2,000 investment required just for a proper installation with complete replacement of all rubber parts and bushings, and a complete suspension realignment to 0.08 degrees is warranted.
I agree, i have the sport version RWD only and it handles differently than the 4-matic loaners i have been given to me to use.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by alsyli
Still not sure where you're reading that the Agility Control is an "integrated" system. This is directly from the MB USA website:

"Engineered specifically for performance driving, AGILITY CONTROL automatically adjusts the individual shock absorbers based on the road surface and the driver's current driving style. Valving inside each shock absorber automatically firms up during stronger body motions for sharper handling feedback and stability, and reduces the damping rates during gentler motions for a smoother, more composed ride."

It mentions nothing about the steering or ESC. ::shrug::
The self adjusting shocks are purely mechanical with no electronics at all. And if any W204 has variable ratio power steering, it came a lot later than 2008.

I don't know about the C250's little 4-banger, but new designs like electric water and oil pumps, electric power steering (which would be infinitely variable, I suppose) are coming on the newest engines such as the twin-turbo V-8. The new Porsche 991's engine has all this stuff which is why a 3.8L N.A six can put out 400hp.