C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Squeaking noise from the breaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Squeaking noise from the breaks

Hey I'm having a really bad squeaking noise from my passenger side. I took it to the dealer they told me it was some kind of metal clips scratching the break disc. They charged me $150 and the noise was gone for couple days and now it's back.

Here is what they wrote:
45750 verified squeaking noise at right front, when turning right. removed right front wheel. removed caliper. removed pads, removed brake disc. nothing abnormal noted. cleaned all contact surfaces, found dust shield slightly impedeing rotor space, likley source of noise. reinstalled all components, testdrove, noise no longer present.

I will take it back to the dealer, but does anyone know if there is a better way to fix this?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I think that you have been overserviced by the dealer. Any half descent mechanic would have know the dust shield was touching the rotor before stripping the brake.In my opinion there was no need to go any further after finding the impingement.

The dust shield could have been damaged & bent by a stone or something you have run over.

It may need to be removed to bend it straight or simply be a little agricultural & bend it in place. You say that it is only 'slightly impeding' the rotor so there is not a lot of distortion.

I would take it back & have it repaired without cost .
Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
+1, the dust shield problem could've easily been identified by put the car on the lift and turning the wheels. However, given that they supposedly fixed it, you have to consider what is causing it to happen again. It could be that the shield wasn't properly fixed if that was the actual problem or it could be that something in your daily drive that's causing the problem to reoccur even after proper repair.

At the same time, if you're even slightly mechanically capable, the shield should be a easy DIY fix. It should be a separate component that you can just unbolt.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
As others have stated, this should be an easy check for you to do at home. Just jack the offending corner of car up and manually rotate the wheel to listen for the metal-on-metal contact. Since your orig comment stated that they said it was the clips (even thought the tech put the culprit as the dust shield), check the pad retaining clips to see if they're pushed too far in and making contact w/ the rotor. There's some free play w/ those clips. I remember them popping out when I swapped pads.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC, 2014 Tesla Model S P85
Is the squealing only at low speeds? Does it become more prominent during turns?

Next time it squeals, if possible, engage your parking break and release it. See if it still squeals.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JasonHu
Is the squealing only at low speeds? Does it become more prominent during turns?

Next time it squeals, if possible, engage your parking break and release it. See if it still squeals.
Yes! It only squeaks at low speed, they do become more prominent when turning. I'll try that next time