C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Not a rant, just mixed emotions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Not a rant, just mixed emotions...

I bought my car because I fell in love with it. A move from BMW was an upward motion, IMO. I still love my car. Because it is a "Sport" and having low profile tires, the ride is not as "luxurious" as the car, and this has no effect on me whatsoever. Actually, I like the "feel" of the road. I have adequate horsepower for what I need the car to do, and I have the options that I really "need". I pretty much have a base MB C300 Sport and got a helluva CPO deal on it.

10 months into the ownership, I am starting to wonder if I should have gone for more options, bigger engine, a year younger and so on.
I do not "need" these things, but rather "want" them. Yeah, it would be nice if I had a navigation system and Sirius radio. Yeah it would be nice to have a pano. roof. Yeah, it would be nice to have a P2 package. I even went back to the dealer looking for such car.
Then I pull myself to earth again by thinking about how much more money I have to shell out for things that I may use once or twice, if any at all.

I don't really know why am I going through these emotions. I absolutely love my ride; so why am I doing this?

Any thoughts? Anybody felt that way? Just wondering...
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Mom always told me, never settle for a car with less options, because you will always wish you got the car with everything. Now you are stuck wondering...trying to fill a void.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Yeah...that's the problem. If I buy a luxry car like mb I would put everything on it. Even if I don't need it. I could care less if I drive a Honda civic
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
There are two kinds of people.....

1) Those who have grown to be comfortable with the idea that enough can be enough.

2) Those who will always chase for more and never be happy...because there is always more to chase.

Strive for #1 to be happy in your life.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick

1) Those who have grown to be comfortable with the idea that enough can be enough.

2) Those who will always chase for more and never be happy...because there is always more to chase.

+1 ^ (infinity)

To the OP, be happy that you love your car, even if you don't have all the equipment you'd like. Shows how compelling your car must be and indicates that you made a good choice for yourself.

Getting "more" isn't going to make you satisfied.... at least, not in the long term....
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sportstick

I would agree to a certain extent. I think we would belong to the 2 category because the person who buy MB or any other luxury cars knows what he's buying. It's a better product than most economic cars out there. So the decision is based on superiority. This is ironic because this is not always a wise decision because after a while we would want a bigger/better car
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Thanks Sport, I pretty much agree with what you said. At 53, I am at the point that I know what's enough, and that's how I made my choice to start with.

And alsyli, I am still extremely happy with the choice I made.

Thank you for sharing your opinions.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by snowmuch
Yeah...that's the problem. If I buy a luxry car like mb I would put everything on it. Even if I don't need it. I could care less if I drive a Honda civic
I absolutely see your point. But, there is always more...Always. Why even settle for a C class? And like you, I don't want anything but an MB.
I must add that a budget plays a big role in this too.

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Who do you fly for btw?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:31 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Who do you fly for btw?
I was a right seat driver (First Officer) on a Boeing 727 with Braniff Int'l back in the days. Then I flew for Delta, as a Captain on their CRJ regional Jets and Finally with American, as far as jets. But I love flying small turbo props like Twin Otter or a Dash 8

Now I teach flying. From Private all the way to Jet type ratings. It's really an incredible feeling to take someone who doesn't even know "why" airplanes fly, and 100 days later, they are flying with a pilot's license. Instant gratification. Besides, It's one helluva of fun job.

Sorry, I get carried away talking about something I am passionate about.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Love talking aviation! I am an aircraft maintenance technician. Used to work for AMR also (Eagle). Now i work for one of the major package companies as an aircraft maintenance technician(Brown)
Old 09-29-2012, 01:18 AM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Love talking aviation! I am an aircraft maintenance technician. Used to work for AMR also (Eagle). Now i work for one of the major package companies as an aircraft maintenance technician(Brown)
+1
Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
At 53 no doubt you are having much pleasure in stashing it away for your retirement. More options would not be helping.

from,

Somebody who had more pleasure saving a $ than spending it....retired from shift work at age 50 .
Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@jetflyboy: STOL equipped Twin Otters and Islanders are a hoot to fly. But on point, maybe the Pano roof wanting is better than having. My personal rant is not about lacking certain options but the lame 7G transmission, unless you were one of the very few to get the manual.

My C300 Sport sits mainly in the garage, covered and unused for months on end, as my Ford is quieter, more luxurious, more comfortable and better steering... the list goes on and on. I was so displeased with the W204 that the Ford was purchased within 3 weeks after receiving delivery of the Merc new from the dealer. The C300 has yet to hit the 12k mile mark after almost 3 years.

The W204 especially the Sport is the best looking car. However if the Audi A5 Sportback (a fantastic machine not even sold in the US) had been available at the end of 2009 I probably would have gone for it. So drive your C300 for a while and then get the W205 just a year away, with everything regardless of the expense.

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 09-29-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:42 PM

2010 C300 Sport
I learned flying on the DHC-6. Not only it's a hoot to fly, it is an amazing aircraft. With full flaps extended and a 26 knots head wind, an approach speed of 67 knots, all that translate into about 50 mph ground speed, and a stopping range of less than 100 yards. Same with take offs. I remember taking off with a 40 knot head wind, 10 degrees flaps (I think) and I am airborne in less than 100 feet. Just amazing. Again, I get carried away...

Back to the W204, that might be the only regret I really have, the manual transmission, which I really wanted, but it was hard to come by, and I had to get a car.
I honestly have no complaints agains the 7 speed automatic. And you're right, I think the C300 sports is one of the better looking cars. I drive about 40-50 miles a day, and no complaints.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM

2009 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
Originally Posted by jetflyboy
I bought my car because I fell in love with it. A move from BMW was an upward motion, IMO. I still love my car. Because it is a "Sport" and having low profile tires, the ride is not as "luxurious" as the car, and this has no effect on me whatsoever. Actually, I like the "feel" of the road. I have adequate horsepower for what I need the car to do, and I have the options that I really "need". I pretty much have a base MB C300 Sport and got a helluva CPO deal on it.

10 months into the ownership, I am starting to wonder if I should have gone for more options, bigger engine, a year younger and so on.
I do not "need" these things, but rather "want" them. Yeah, it would be nice if I had a navigation system and Sirius radio. Yeah it would be nice to have a pano. roof. Yeah, it would be nice to have a P2 package. I even went back to the dealer looking for such car.
Then I pull myself to earth again by thinking about how much more money I have to shell out for things that I may use once or twice, if any at all.

I don't really know why am I going through these emotions. I absolutely love my ride; so why am I doing this?

Any thoughts? Anybody felt that way? Just wondering...
I actually went from a fully loaded vehicle, to a not so loaded one. All I thought about was what I missed about my old car. When I started looking at MB, it took a month of test driving and such to really KNOW what I wanted. I came very close to a C300, P1, but am happy to report I went for the C350 (actually a huge difference, IMO/power wise). Have the P1 which is basically a P2 on a C300, all options I think. It's a tough spot to be, you're giong to get what you pay for, for me, I just didn't want to "wish" I had something in the car I'm about to buy so I just went for it.