C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2013 C250 Sedan engine rattle/knock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250
I took the loaner back and told them I want my car to sound like it. Service manager said they cannot do that because they do not know where the sound is coming from and therefore how to fix it. Also, a supposed MB factory rep drove the car, acknowledged the sound, and proceeded to tell the dealer there is no known fix for it and the MB is aware of the noise and complaints. That is pretty bad if MB knows their product is not up to snuff and makes their customers guinnea pig test drivers.

Also, the day before I brought the car into the dealer the engine misfired multiple times going uphill and the manager told me that they could not find any error codes that show such an incident happened, in effect calling me a liar. My blood is boiling!

So, apparently, I have to "serve out my sentence" with this overpiced car for 3 years before my lease is up or eat a huge chunk of negative equity and trade the car in after 2 months. And then what, another MB junk box? Never buying MB again. Overrated service and product IMHO.

To make matters worse, I can't lemon law the car since the dealer won't dig in and attempt any repairs so I'm effectively screwed.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
That sucks.

What dealer is this that is giving you the run-around?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 PM

2013 C250
I'm not sure if it is permitted to say on the forum, but it is one of the dealerships in southern Orange County, CA.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
We don't mind people naming & shaming as long as it is not vindictive.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by mongo6407
I took the loaner back and told them I want my car to sound like it. Service manager said they cannot do that because they do not know where the sound is coming from and therefore how to fix it. Also, a supposed MB factory rep drove the car, acknowledged the sound, and proceeded to tell the dealer there is no known fix for it and the MB is aware of the noise and complaints. That is pretty bad if MB knows their product is not up to snuff and makes their customers guinnea pig test drivers.

Also, the day before I brought the car into the dealer the engine misfired multiple times going uphill and the manager told me that they could not find any error codes that show such an incident happened, in effect calling me a liar. My blood is boiling!

So, apparently, I have to "serve out my sentence" with this overpiced car for 3 years before my lease is up or eat a huge chunk of negative equity and trade the car in after 2 months. And then what, another MB junk box? Never buying MB again. Overrated service and product IMHO.

To make matters worse, I can't lemon law the car since the dealer won't dig in and attempt any repairs so I'm effectively screwed.
Refer the matter direct to MBUSA. If they can't fix it they can drop in a new engine.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM

2013 C250
I've been in contact with MBUSA since the beginning. Though I asked for a new motor/transmission, they have not offered to follow through on that. I'm waiting to hear back from them what the next step will be.

As for the dealership, it's Laguna Niguel.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:19 AM

2013 E350 Sport
Same rattle in 2013 E350

Hi everyone,
My lease was up And we picked up another E350 in October 2012.
It has made the same rattling noise you are all discussing from the beginning.
I have visited the dealer twice and they say there is no fix, blaming the direct fuel injection as the noise making culprit both times.
What is really strange is that BOTH times they did not have me sign any paperwork when I left. They didn't keep the car as they said its the new engine.
Maybe I'm paranoid but I feel like they are deleting any record of my bringing in the car with this un-fixable issue....?

I would have rather kept my much quieter and smoother 2011 E350 than this car which is advertised as the quieter engine. LIES!!!

We all pay a premium to have what is supposed to be am advanced machine, not so it can sound like we have a loud sewing machine hidden under the hood.
I'm contacting corporate. I'm over it.
I'm an attorney and I am NOT going to drop this. Please feel free to email me at Annette@NovelaPA.com if you would like to be involved with any action(s) I decide to pursue.

Last edited by Hyperyellow; 05-25-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 PM

2013 C250
good luck

I contacted corporate about my c-class and never got satisfaction. There is no lemon law liability. They will not buy back the car because it is not a problem that they say they can fix or that poses a warranty concern, its just considered normal for the type of engine it is, i.e., direct injected. Therefore, I'm not surprised that the dealer doesn't want to keep records of this, in case they're just plain wrong and the issue does result in some mechanical problem down the road.

I'm now in the same boat. My wife's GL is up for lease in the Fall and I really don't want her to get the direct injected turbo. If she insists I will try to steer her to the diesel where at least you accept that there will be chatter. The V8 she has is smooth as silk, and I would buy the car outright, but MB repair bills scare me more than a new GL. The MB dealer is a ripoff for repairs out of warranty and I don't have time for nickel and dime mechanics with no loaner cars.

As for me, this will be my first and last MB. I can't wait for the lease to be up so I can get back into an infiniti.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 PM

2013 Mercedes Benz C250
The Dealer, manual and technician, told me the same thing, use 91 or higher , I have a 2013 C250 , and since day one I use 93.... no problem
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
As for me, this will be my first and last MB. I can't wait for the lease to be up so I can get back into an infiniti.
Except that all new Inifinitis are direct injected as well and are going to exhibit the same type of sounds. Only instead of it coming from an otherwise over engineered car it is coming from another cookie cutter Japanese luxury sedan...
Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 PM

2013 C250
direct injection

I've only used 91+ since day one too and I still have the engine rattle. At one point I used racing fuel just to prove the point that octane has nothing to do with the issue (see older part of this thread).

As for infiniti, I cannot comment on the new ones, just the 2011 G37 sedan I traded in for this sewing machine on wheels. If that car used DI, then it proves that Mercedes implementation of DI is terrible and needs to be rethought. If MB is the company the Japanese auto makers are looking to be "wannabees" of, then I don't think it is going to take too much effort to surpass MB. I mean the MB navi unit cannot even locate a post office! And the standard pleather seats are not than nice after about 6 months.

Honestly, I'd rather keep $150 a month in lease payments for a Japanese "wannabe" at this point.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I've only used 91+ since day one too and I still have the engine rattle. At one point I used racing fuel just to prove the point that octane has nothing to do with the issue (see older part of this thread).

As for infiniti, I cannot comment on the new ones, just the 2011 G37 sedan I traded in for this sewing machine on wheels. If that car used DI, then it proves that Mercedes implementation of DI is terrible and needs to be rethought. If MB is the company the Japanese auto makers are looking to be "wannabees" of, then I don't think it is going to take too much effort to surpass MB. I mean the MB navi unit cannot even locate a post office! And the standard pleather seats are not than nice after about 6 months.

Honestly, I'd rather keep $150 a month in lease payments for a Japanese "wannabe" at this point.
You've made your point and now are just digging for things. Have you tried going to a different dealer? They vary wildly, sadly.

COMAND Nav works just fine at locating POIs (including post offices... this I know because I had to use it to locate one 2 weeks ago while out of town...).

MB-Tex has been around for years and is the benchmark for leatherette, and it holds up better than leather in the long run.

Point being, you're on an enthusiast forum. It's unfortunate that you are that unhappy with your car. Your options at this point are to either suck it up and drive it or to get out of your lease and go get something else. Coming here to do nothing but ***** about it and cut down on the car that many of us own (yes, own - not lease) isn't going to solve your issues with the car nor win you friends here.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 PM

2013 C250
I began this thread months ago and haven't responded until today's E-class driver put his two cents in.
If you've even read the thread from the middle, you'd know that I did bring my car to multiple dealers multiple times and dealt with the whole customer service system.

Since the beginning of the thread I've tried to use this forum to connect with knowledgeable people about the problem that I was experiencing and to get their help in navigating the dealer/corporate edifice that is MB. I'm not here to win friends. I'm here to talk about a car with other people who ostensibly know more than I do.

Regardless of whether I own or lease my car should not be relevant to whether my points are valid. Sorry I cannot be enthusiastic about the car. It's just metal, glass, and plastic. There are way more important things in life to devote my time to. So I guess you will be happy to know that this will be my last post on the thread and this hallowed enthusiast forum.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
If you've even read the thread from the middle, you'd know that I did bring my car to multiple dealers multiple times and dealt with the whole customer service system.
You're right - I missed that. The only dealer I saw called out here was Laguna Niguel (which for the record has a horrific track record over on the smart side of the house as well).

Regardless of whether I own or lease my car should not be relevant to whether my points are valid. Sorry I cannot be enthusiastic about the car. It's just metal, glass, and plastic. There are way more important things in life to devote my time to. So I guess you will be happy to know that this will be my last post on the thread and this hallowed enthusiast forum.
Well, that's certainly mature. Enjoy your Infiniti forums...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
It can also matter WHERE you get your gas from. I had a 2014 forrester xt (turbo), that had an akward rattly sound upon hard acceleration, AND my 2013 c250 had the same sound (both 4cyl turbos interesting enough). I was using kroger gas, but always used premium-91. I never suspected the actual gas, because, like I said, it was the "good stuff".

After my benz started making extremely similar sounds as the subaru before it, I thought is it the dam gas???? I filled up at a more standard station, it was a texaco or shell, I can't recall. The sound has not returned since. I was kinda pissed because that sound made me question my subaru in the first place. I ended up trading it in, but still, I guess kroger gas just sucks.

BTW...kroger is a supermarket in texas, i'm not sure where else they are in the U.S.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 AM

W202 C230 Kompressor, W204 C200 CGI
M271 engine definately has problem of engine knock.
I had C200 CGI manual in South Africa. Knock started at after 30000km occasionally. By putting in 95 RON fuel, it knocked the most. On the contrast, 93 had far less problem. I brought the car to dealership to try to sort out problem. They told me various stories, like no code no repair, had less 3 times knock no repair. The problem is no CEL after knock happened. And turn off the engine, the code gets erased. Brought to another dealership, they retareded the timing and problem was gone. And I sold the car afterwards. It's good for the next owner.
W205 will use new M274 2L engine. I hope the problem will not be there and MB brings good services to its customers.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM

C250 Mercedes
C250 noisy engine

Hey guys don't hate me for a such a late reply to this post.
I'm old & brand new to this forums stuff.
I have a 2012 C250 coupe turbo 4cyl (since new) & currently have 125000 kms on it. That's a little over 75K miles. yeah I drive a lot :-). Engine started making this rattling noise during start up at the 85K mark. Engine light came on & off over the next few weeks. I reported right away to the dealer because the warranty is over at 80K. Long & short of it is - cam adjusters need to be replaced. This is an
all day $1200 parts $1000 labour job (+tax)
I love the car, but feel pretty bummed about such a major fault at such an early stage in the car's life.
Anyway, all I wanted to say was if you get this odd rattle during start up, get the codes read asap before any warranties lapse.
I am curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue with this engine, so please feel free to post my story anywhere it can be spread. Maybe there should be a recall on these cam adjuster parts
Thanks!!
Stan
Old 05-19-2014, 12:11 PM

C Class
Hey mongo6407, did they ever solve your problem? I feel your frustration because I went through the exact same thing with my C. Engine rattle while accelerating, usually in high gears, and multiple knock sensor error codes when scanned. The solution is really simple, and it took my dealer months to figure it out, thanks to my insistence. There is a manual setting in in the Diagnostics Software where they can select up to 9 different settings of gas/air mixture. Let me know if you need more details, I even have a youtube video of the "rattle" up in case you want to compare.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250
Glad someone brought this post back. I took my 2012 c250 in last Thursday to a dealer here in Orlando. The tech and service advisor have acknowledged a problem (45,000 miles on her)... However, here we are Monday afternoon, and all I know is that they are unsure what it is, where its originating, and that a "case" has been filed with Mercedes. They will have permissions to begin a tear down, but other than that...... Who knows! I'll inform as I receive more info. At least I'm not getting mine back till problem resolved. BTW, my noise is a definite rattle issue. Like a loose timing chain, tensioner.. Along those lines. No knocking though , no check engine light either, and does sorta " come and go" with driving time/temperature.

Last edited by arketect; 05-19-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added add info
Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by arketect
Glad someone brought this post back. I took my 2012 c250 in last Thursday to a dealer here in Orlando. The tech and service advisor have acknowledged a problem (45,000 miles on her)... However, here we are Monday afternoon, and all I know is that they are unsure what it is, where its originating, and that a "case" has been filed with Mercedes. They will have permissions to begin a tear down, but other than that...... Who knows! I'll inform as I receive more info. At least I'm not getting mine back till problem resolved. BTW, my noise is a definite rattle issue. Like a loose timing chain, tensioner.. Along those lines. No knocking though , no check engine light either, and does sorta " come and go" with driving time/temperature.
Any updates on the status of your car? I'm experiencing the same rattle issue on my 2013 c250. I've been hearing the rattle noise before however when I brought the car to the dealership I was told it was direct injection so I really never bother. Yesterday I installed Rado off road down pipe and the rattle noise emphasize in sound my guess is due to non restrictive flow of exhaust. The rattle starts around 2000 rpm when accelerating.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:14 PM

2013 C250
Let's bring this post to the top!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 PM

2012 C250
The car was at the dealership for 6 (yes six) weeks.... After replacing both intake and exhaust cam adjusters, numerous oil pressure tests, timing chain components... The high pressure fuel pump was the culprit!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:51 AM

2013 C250
No change to my car. All the dealers and the factory tech concluded that the noise was inherent in the direct ignition system. I recently drove a GLK as a loaner car and the noise with that engine was far worse. I don't think I will be buying another mercedes until they do something about the noise problems.

QUOTE=EvolutionDrock;6123994]Any updates on the status of your car? I'm experiencing the same rattle issue on my 2013 c250. I've been hearing the rattle noise before however when I brought the car to the dealership I was told it was direct injection so I really never bother. Yesterday I installed Rado off road down pipe and the rattle noise emphasize in sound my guess is due to non restrictive flow of exhaust. The rattle starts around 2000 rpm when accelerating.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-03-2014, 11:43 AM

2012 C250
The only thing I would keep in mind is this. I too thought the direct injection would be the issue, I would live with it if that were the case. However, after have a loaner with the same engine, I knew mine could be quieter. I just fought daily with them, called back and forth, and they kept repairing. After flying in a tech, the car is soooo quiet now. It was worth having the service.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 PM

2013 C250
The only thing that puzzles me is the fact that I drove several c250 loaner cars and out of 3-4 cars I drove only one was making similar rattle noise to the one my car is making. In fact the high pressure fuel pump might me the root of all problems. I haven't purchased the car brand new and maybe whoever had the car before me was using cheap low quality gas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 C250 Sedan engine rattle/knock