C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anyone planning to trade C class for new A or CLA class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Reviews like that are why ROW don't take US motoring scribes seriously.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what I would term a fair review on a 1600cc cooking/standard model CLA200.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/574...-launch-review.

SA's motoring scribes have had similar comments but tested a Sport & were a little more critical of ride but then questioned why they like the same set up on the A Class.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Reviews like that are why ROW don't take US motoring scribes seriously.
Not sure if you know this publication, but they test all categories from autos to appliances to food products, and everything in-between. This is not Motor Trend, etc. They accept no advertising and claim to be as "objective" as humanly possible...just an assessment of how well thing work and if they live up to their claims. Brand status means nothing. Some people revile them, as they cannot fathom the outcomes found. They are usually quite spot-on for buying a wide range of unemotional categories of products. Their automotive assessments often generate controversy over history. They both "Recommend" and highly regard both the C Class and E Class, for just two examples with which we would all agree...but they harshly rejected the CLA.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I know the publication.

As I've said before I'm not sure A Class or CLA are the right cars for the US. In the same vane US cars are no longer liked by ROW & sell badly where they are sold.

Different markets & different likes & dislikes. In Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia or New Zealand no body would ever consider what a US publication had to say about a car.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Here is what I would term a fair review on a 1600cc cooking/standard model CLA200.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/574...-launch-review.

SA's motoring scribes have had similar comments but tested a Sport & were a little more critical of ride but then questioned why they like the same set up on the A Class.

It almost seems they are driving completely different products, or have completely different subjective measures by which they make assessments there. However, when I came across this line, this journalist lost all credibility over here. We've read enough to know this is simply not true.

"The ride though is as good as you’ll find in car this size."

CR mystery shops and buys their own cars from dealerships. These journalists, like most others around the world, are driving manufacturer-supplied testers, either at their home offices or on nicely catered press events. Must take that into account....some social desirability bias permeates such gracious treatment and the desire for it to continue...darn human nature again.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sportstick
These journalists, like most others around the world, are driving manufacturer-supplied testers, either at their home offices or on nicely catered press events. Must take that into account....some social desirability bias permeates such gracious treatment and the desire for it to continue...darn human nature again.
The same applies to all motoring journalists world wide. However journalists disagree on the CLA. That does not make Aus or SA or US journo's correct. It makes them different and market preferences are different. That is why Cadillac can't sell their cars at any price in SA & have given up.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The same applies to all motoring journalists world wide. However journalists disagree on the CLA. That does not make Aus or SA or US journo's correct. It makes them different and market preferences are different. That is why Cadillac can't sell their cars at any price in SA & have given up.
Agree, but the ride statement is clearly false, which calls into question his other statements. Whether one wants to place some sort of vibration meter in the car or watch a bowl of water on the front seat develop ripples, the CLA objectively does not have the class-leading ride.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

What I don't understand is why Benz did not soften up the ride of the CLA for the US market ~ most others do. We don't know the set up of the Aus car.

These cars are not all the same globally. Australia does not have the greatest roads.

You could not sell a VW, Toyota/Lexus or Honda in SA with US suspension settings. All of them firm up spring rates & dampers for SA as an example. Honda even increases ride height for our market. Toyota beefs up rear axle locations for the SA & other markets etc.

One can't state that a US opinion is correct but an Australian one is not. We can say they differ.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
What I don't understand is why Benz did not soften up the ride of the CLA for the US market ~ most others do. We don't know the set up of the Aus car.

These cars are not all the same globally. Australia does not have the greatest roads.

You could not sell a VW, Toyota/Lexus or Honda in SA with US suspension settings. All of them firm up spring rates & dampers for SA as an example. Honda even increases ride height for our market. Toyota beefs up rear axle locations for the SA & other markets etc.

One can't state that a US opinion is correct but an Australian one is not. We can say they differ.
Usually, I espouse this same philosophy, but it does not apply in this case. Let's put aside that we don't know the differences in suspension calibration, which may explain much of this topic.

The journalist did not simply state a personal preference or opinion. His language was an attempt to make an objective statement. And, his choice of words went further to universalize his quasi-objective statement by declaring that no one will have a different experience. One may say I am arguing semantics, but we get to do that with a journalist...words are the tools of the trade.

The journalist did not state words to the effect of "I prefer the ride in the CLA to any other car", which would be completely defensible per your comment. Ride is a quantifiable measure relating to management of impact harshness and the isolation of such forces from the bodies of the occupants. No one seeks harshness; it is a price some are willing to pay for the offsetting benefit of improved handling. A Corvette with Rolls Royce ride remains elusive, despite magnetic ride control, for one example of trying to achieve "ride".

I am simply stating that this journalist is factually incorrect (although I am surmising this finding from the consistency of comments on CLA compared to a variety of other cars to which it may be compared). If one were to measure the forces experienced over a standardized series of road events, CLA would not be at the highest capability for ride. However, as you noted, he may be driving a suspension calibration other countries will not receive so the degree of variation is not known.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Simply psychobabble.

You are welcome to your opinion & that's all it is & that of some journo's. Others choose to differ which is their right. Some really like the car & that does not make them wrong. It makes them different.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Simply psychobabble.

You are welcome to your opinion & that's all it is & that of some journo's. Others choose to differ which is their right. Some really like the car & that does not make them wrong. It makes them different.
Sorry if it wasn't clear for you, but that doesn't negate the substance of my comment. The misunderstanding is revealed by your retort. I above endorsed someone expressing preference for the car's ride and never suggested they were wrong. Expressing opinion as fact was the error I addressed.

Again, we have consistently agreed about the validity of subjective opinions expressed as such. But, the point has evolved beyond the car to the poor writing of opinions masquerading as fact. Good journalists proffer theirs as just that....opinion....in contradistinction to the one you cited.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Why don't you just state that you don't like what journo's say that happens to disagree with you or your stance and will always try to belittle/denounce their comments?

Then we all know where you stand.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Why don't you just state that you don't like what journo's say that happens to disagree with you or your stance and will always try to belittle/denounce their comments?

Then we all know where you stand.
This is not about whether I agree with them or not. I consistently endorse everyone's right to their opinion. This was an example of poor journalism, another prior aspect of my career history as an AP trained writer. I recognize bad writing when I read it. I was surprised of all possible sources that this was the one offered.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

It was offered because it gave an alternative point of view that was not American or South African or for that matter German. Comments are realistic on everything from interior to power delivery etc.etc. and what to expect & you get in the Aus market at this pricing point & positioning. Sales comments reflect what we are seeing in SA. The waiting list grows daily.

There is a long string of natural competitors to the CLA/A Class that people love & sell in large numbers but are not sold in the US because they probably would not satisfy US likes & would probably generate CLA type complaints from the US press. That does not make them bad cars. Some examples include models from Citroen, Renault, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Fiat, Vauxhall/Opel, Dacia, Lancia, SEAT, Skoda etc. etc. There is also a preference for Diesels in some markets & the CLA diesel is very well reviewed.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-04-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

The proposed new CLA Shooting Brake.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone planning to trade C class for new A or CLA class?-2015-mercedes-benz-cla-shooting-brake-front.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
‘17 AMG C43, ‘10 C300 4MATIC Sport (previous)
CLA Today

When I parked today at the office, I saw a CLA in the visitors section.

Curiosity set in, so I decided to take a gander at it and was not impressed.

It's exterior styling is more unbalanced and awkward in person than it is photos; however, the interior looked nice.

Last edited by aaronBLUEeyes; 01-06-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
It was offered because it gave an alternative point of view that was not American or South African or for that matter German. Comments are realistic on everything from interior to power delivery etc.etc. and what to expect & you get in the Aus market at this pricing point & positioning. Sales comments reflect what we are seeing in SA. The waiting list grows daily.

There is a long string of natural competitors to the CLA/A Class that people love & sell in large numbers but are not sold in the US because they probably would not satisfy US likes & would probably generate CLA type complaints from the US press. That does not make them bad cars. Some examples include models from Citroen, Renault, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Fiat, Vauxhall/Opel, Dacia, Lancia, SEAT, Skoda etc. etc. There is also a preference for Diesels in some markets & the CLA diesel is very well reviewed.
Glyn,
I completely respect you and your opinion, but I think we've gone off the point to which the conversation evolved. The journalist said:

"The ride though is as good as you’ll find in car this size."

I assert he is factually incorrect, not simply an opinion. For example, the W204 is extremely close to being the same overall size as the CLA, and both are currently on sale. Who can demonstrate on any measure that the CLA has as good a ride as a W204? From that point forward, that journalist's comments cannot be taken at face value. I'm sure Australia has more credible sources to offer.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

You don't know that it's factually incorrect. The Aus bound CLA could have different spring rates etc and Aus VW's etc. have stiffened suspension similar to SA. Most CLA competitors in Aus would have stiffer suspension than their US equivalent. It would be interesting to know what the US would think of Renault Megane Sport models. Now that car really has crashy & jarring suspension but will blow most things off on a track. Most cars are more stiffly sprung & damped in Aus & SA than their equivalent US models.

There are many who think that the W204 with sport suspension is uncomfortable & jarring ~ especially when fitted with 18 inch wheels. AcapulcoBill for one who vows his Mondeo is more comfortable & so on. Remember that the lower capacity CLA's have smaller wheels & taller aspect ratio tyres which also helps a lot.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and..._cla200_review

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-06-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcar...nd_First_Drive
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
You don't know that it's factually incorrect. The Aus bound CLA could have different spring rates etc and Aus VW's etc. have stiffened suspension similar to SA. Most CLA competitors in Aus would have stiffer suspension than their US equivalent. It would be interesting to know what the US would think of Renault Megane Sport models. Now that car really has crashy & jarring suspension but will blow most things off on a track. Most cars are more stiffly sprung & damped in Aus & SA than their equivalent US models.

There are many who think that the W204 with sport suspension is uncomfortable & jarring ~ especially when fitted with 18 inch wheels. AcapulcoBill for one who vows his Mondeo is more comfortable & so on. Remember that the lower capacity CLA's have smaller wheels & taller aspect ratio tyres which also helps a lot.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and..._cla200_review
No, not yet from direct observation, but akin to the concept of taking "judicial notice", I believe we know that with similar chassis calibration objectives (sport vs sport...lux vs lux, controlled for tire size), S>E>C>CLA for ride comfort. It would be unacceptable to move up among luxury sedans and deteriorate comfort. But, if you require a side-by-side test to prove the point, I can't carry this any further at this time. As always, it's been interesting!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/re...nz-cla-200.htm

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...h-review-35775

http://www.auto123.com/en/mercedes/c...1&artid=153875

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/revie...cedes-benz-cla
Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thank you! Reasonable and essentially free from hyperbole! Although, the Canadian writer's concession that the sport suspension did not "murder" ride comfort was a chuckle! At least the patient is still alive, in his view! Thanks again for sharing some interesting articles.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

As you can see there are many scribes that actually like the car. Ones that don't suffer from soft posteriors.