C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

c300 seats!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300, ML350
c300 seats!!

Hello,
My first post and unfortunately its not a positive one I purchased 2008 c300 sport few weeks back (40k miles) from a non mercedes dealer (it was a VW dealer). Test drove the car for about 15 min and I have to admit I should have test drove it much longer. What drew me to this vehicle was mainly it looks- love the aggressive look of the vehicle but I was not happy with the interior-- felt and looked cheap. But overall I was pleased with the vehicle and made the purchase. Well now starting to have buyer remorse for the following reasons
1) again the interior , its just feels and looks too cheap, I expect more from the three point star
2) seats!! I just cannot get used to the seat, I try to find that sweet spot but just cant find it. I feel as if there is lack of seat padding, it kinda feels like I am sinking in the seat-- do any of you C class owners have this problem?, it feels as if the seats need more padding and support. btw, I am a big guy- 6 foot 2 -- 200 pounds--- ya I know I should have bought a bigger car-- but this is all I could afford at the moment.
3) ride seems stiff, any imperfections are easily felt. the tires are non oem Kumho tires. Do you think changing the tires to oem continental/michelin will improve the ride? But I guess tires wont change the stiffness, guess that's how the sport suspension is set.

My mistake: I should have test drove this car for longer period of time and should have not rushed into making this purchase. Well I just hope I can used to this car. Please let me know if any of you experience the same problem. Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Keep in mind, you did by an entry level Mercedes. Me personally, I love the interior when compared to other cars in its price range. The ride will seem stiffer since you bought the sport model. Sounds like you prefer more comfort than a solid stiff ride. You should have definitely drove it longer and/or done more research into the c300 Luxury
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts
2022 E53 AMG
In 2012 they changing the inside of the car and it looks more sexy.

You have a sport so the car it lower and harder. Make sure your tires are at 36 from and 39 back PSI.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 PM

C300, ML350
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Keep in mind, you did by an entry level Mercedes. Me personally, I love the interior when compared to other cars in its price range. The ride will seem stiffer since you bought the sport model. Sounds like you prefer more comfort than a solid stiff ride. You should have definitely drove it longer and/or done more research into the c300 Luxury
ok.. you are right this is entry level model. Yeah fell in love with the looks of the sport model, but I guess I will get used to the ride. My other car is a 09 camry so I think I am comparing my mercs ride to that vehicle-as you mentioned the sport should have stiff ride. I notice similar stiff ride when I test drove a 07 335i, actually the ride seemed worse because of the run flats. btw, what tire pressure are you running?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM

C300, ML350
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
In 2012 they changing the inside of the car and it looks more sexy.

You have a sport so the car it lower and harder. Make sure your tires are at 36 from and 39 back PSI.
ok thx, but I believe recommended is 28 front and 33 rear, correct? Setting it at higher pressure will give it a harsh ride?.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Originally Posted by c3002008
what tire pressure are you running?
I run 40lbs in all corners regardless of what the inside of the gas door says.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
See if you can swap someone for a higher profile tyre /wheel which will make a noticeable difference giving you a softer ride.

I have 205x55x16 tyres /rims & they ride a lot better than the lower profile 45s.. In fact I decided that I did not like the C Class with the lower profile.

Running with the manufacture tyre pressure recommendations will give to a softer ride .Mine are 29/31 front/rear.

My MTech seats are the most comfortable seat I have ever had in a vehicle . Great for long distance drives. Keep trying to find a position that suits including using the lumbar support. Read your book. Also remember that you can have more seat legroom by lowering the seat.

Regarding the interior, one wag motoring writer out here said that he has seen more interesting viewing on the inside of a garbage bag.I dont agree. I think it is ageless & will not look tacky as the fad interiors age over the years.

Think cup half full !!& enjoy a great car, although you should have bought a diesel.!

JC
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by c3002008
Hello,
My first post and unfortunately its not a positive one I purchased 2008 c300 sport few weeks back (40k miles) from a non mercedes dealer (it was a VW dealer). Test drove the car for about 15 min and I have to admit I should have test drove it much longer. What drew me to this vehicle was mainly it looks- love the aggressive look of the vehicle but I was not happy with the interior-- felt and looked cheap. But overall I was pleased with the vehicle and made the purchase. Well now starting to have buyer remorse for the following reasons
1) again the interior , its just feels and looks too cheap, I expect more from the three point star
2) seats!! I just cannot get used to the seat, I try to find that sweet spot but just cant find it. I feel as if there is lack of seat padding, it kinda feels like I am sinking in the seat-- do any of you C class owners have this problem?, it feels as if the seats need more padding and support. btw, I am a big guy- 6 foot 2 -- 200 pounds--- ya I know I should have bought a bigger car-- but this is all I could afford at the moment.
3) ride seems stiff, any imperfections are easily felt. the tires are non oem Kumho tires. Do you think changing the tires to oem continental/michelin will improve the ride? But I guess tires wont change the stiffness, guess that's how the sport suspension is set.

My mistake: I should have test drove this car for longer period of time and should have not rushed into making this purchase. Well I just hope I can used to this car. Please let me know if any of you experience the same problem. Thanks
The interior is a matter of taste. My opinion may be in the minority, but I find the new interior overdone and too glitzy, trying to be a small E Class. Some may think that's an admirable goal, but I prefer the simpler, more Teutonic approach. Totally subjective and it depends what your expectations are for a premium German brand.

There is no perfect seat for everyone. You and I are the same height, although you have about 20lbs over me. But, we could differ in proportion of leg length to torso and other dimensions. These seats fit me perfectly, better than the ones in my wifes E350. I just rented a brand new, redesigned Camry on a business trip, and I found those seats awful due to almost painful lack of lower back support. We're all different.

As for tires, yes you probably should have bought a Luxury model. Don't go looking for OE tires, although I'm not sure how you'd get them, as even the same name tires from a dealer are not the same tire as what is installed OE. OE tires are a harded rubber compound to reduce rolling resistance and improve durability...two priorities to vehicle manufacturers, the former to maximize fuel economy and help avoid CAFE penalities. Until you replace your tires, certainly do NOT inflate them above the fuel door label values...absolutely no benefit to you, and will make the ride even harsher. I would suggest you go to a Michelin dealer and get either Primacy MXV4 or Primacy MXM4 tires. I don't know what sizes they offer, but try for 215/50-17 first, and then the original size as a backup. The 50s will also fit the OE 17" wheels.The 50 series, combined with these ride-comfort oriented tires, could make quite a difference for you. Tires can definitely affect ride harshness. Tires are part of the suspension system and the degree of impact absorption in the tire sidewall without question makes a difference in ride quality. If by chance, you have 18" wheels, that may be much of your problem as well. Larger wheels=less tire sidewall available to flex=harsher ride. If you get these Michelins, just don't try to use them in the winter(esp the MXM) if you live where it gets snow and freezing temps...they would be mediocre at that task, as would be most so-called all season tires.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 PM

C300, ML350
thanks for all the replies.. The current tires are practically new so I will just wait till these wear down and then I will look at various options .. @Sportstick- I appreciate the detail, learned a lot from the post..
@Carsy- ya I am enjoying the car, even though its a c300 it still turns heads..

Last edited by c3002008; 11-22-2012 at 09:57 PM.