C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 4MATIC AWD - oil change questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 4MATIC AWD
C300 4MATIC AWD - oil change questions

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is a 2010.

I completed my first oil change yesterday. I read a lot of posts on this forum discussing how to do it with top side extraction. My issue is that either I didnt suck out all of the oil, or my c300 doesnt hold as much oil as I expected.

Here's what I did:

-Ran car to operating temp
-Remove dipstick (green cap between engine and firewall) and oil fill cap
-insert Mityvac tube into dipstick hole
-Extract oil (took quite a while, about 45 min.)
-Replace filter with 3 o-rings (2 small, 1 large)
-Fill w/ new 0w-40 Mobil-1 oil

The problem is the extractor stopped pulling oil at only about 6 quarts (just over 5 liter mark on the mityvac). I checked the oil level before I started and it was all the way up against the MAX mark on the dipstick.

I even dumped all of the old oil back into the "new" oil jars to make sure it was the same amount.

I was under the impression that the C300 4MATIC AWD held 7.4 quarts of oil. I guess it is possible that I didnt have the extractor tube all the way down, but I doubt it. I hit the bottom, and then gave it a couple pretty good jabs to make sure it wouldnt go farther down. I also measured the inserted length against the length of the dipstick and it was just a little longer than that.

I checked my oil level after running the car for a short period, and I am indeed full of oil.

What am I missing here?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
You hit a false stop when inserting the tube. I measured and found it when I had the same result.

You can either use drain plug, or special adaptor that makes the diptube the suction tube (or use a connector bush from the kit and jam it down the top of the dip-tube, and run nylon hose to there.

click "search this thread" then go to "advanced search" and enter:

"Fluid Evacuators" with quotes, and KevinK2 for name. Most info should be there.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM

C300 4MATIC AWD
Originally Posted by kevink2
You hit a false stop when inserting the tube. I measured and found it when I had the same result.

You can either use drain plug, or special adaptor that makes the diptube the suction tube (or use a connector bush from the kit and jam it down the top of the dip-tube, and run nylon hose to there.

click "search this thread" then go to "advanced search" and enter:

"Fluid Evacuators" with quotes, and KevinK2 for name. Most info should be there.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

For anyone else that comes across this....The nylon tube that is inserted into the dipstick tube hits a false bottom. The way to fix this is actually top just not use the nylon hose down the dipstick tube.

You can just use the car's dipstick tube as the extractor. If you have the MityVac like me, it comes with two rubber hose adapters. I pushed the first one into the dipstick tube opening, connected the small nylon hose. Then, use the second rubber adapter to connect the small nylon hose, to the large nylon hose. Now plug the large nylon hose into the Mityvac.

It sucks the oil right up the dipstick tube. Someone also mentioned, adding a half quart of new oil back in and re-evacuating, just to make sure you got everything out.

I tried it out quick last night and it does indeed work quite well.

Thanks Kevin.
The following users liked this post:
David Auterson (06-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C300 4MATIC Sport with P1, Bi-Xenon headlights, Navigation with backup camera, Sport Plus
Hey I tried doing that search and didn't get any results expect this post. I am looking to do my first oil change soon and was wondering if you can post a link to that form here?
Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM

C300 4MATIC AWD
Originally Posted by kenju4u
Hey I tried doing that search and didn't get any results expect this post. I am looking to do my first oil change soon and was wondering if you can post a link to that form here?
I can't find it now either. But I told you how to do it in my post. Just use the rubber stopper, jam it in the dipstick tube. Then, insert the mityvac extractor hose into the hole in the rubber stopper. Connect the hose to the mityvac and extract the oil.

If you don't understand that, you're going to have to search and learn on your own.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 PM

'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by kenju4u
It's in this DIY thread somewhere..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-pictures.html
Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4matic; S430 4matic
Oil filter looks different

New to the forum and I have a question. I have a 2013 C300 and have read and watched various DIY's. Do you guys know if this is the proper oil filter for my car?

Amazon.com: 276 180 00 09 Genuine OIL FILTER: Automotive Amazon.com: 276 180 00 09 Genuine OIL FILTER: Automotive

It looks a bit different from OP's.

Thanks,
Old 03-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
1992 MB 190E, 2016 MB C300
My Mityvac was defective. First time I used it, it was very slow and had to be pumped and pumped. I called the 800 number on the product booklet. I was told that a bunch of these had a defective valve and/or a defective "O" ring between the main body and the black top. Mine was the valve and they sent a replacement.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
These things can be sensitive to setup. If you put too much vacuum on it can cause gaskets on the extractor to collapse. Atmospheric pressure can be a very powerful force.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by hakjai
New to the forum and I have a question. I have a 2013 C300 and have read and watched various DIY's. Do you guys know if this is the proper oil filter for my car?

Amazon.com: 276 180 00 09 Genuine OIL FILTER: Automotive

It looks a bit different from OP's.

Thanks,
This is what I use.
Amazon.com: Mann-Filter HU 718/5 X Metal-Free Oil Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: Mann-Filter HU 718/5 X Metal-Free Oil Filter: Automotive