C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Removed & Installed Rear Wheels Back, Wheel Makes Noise When Rotating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Coupe
Red face Removed & Installed Rear Wheels Back, Wheel Makes Noise When Rotating

Hi guys,

I took off my wheels to install spacers, and when I put my 2 rear wheels back on and tightened them, I wanted to spin the rear wheels to see if they move freely and if there was any error with my re-install.

I start the car, put it in Neutral and release the parking brake. One of the wheels made a metallic click/cling noise when I rotate it, but it moves freely forward (not backwards). Is the noise supposed to be there?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C350
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe
Hi guys,

I took off my wheels to install spacers, and when I put my 2 rear wheels back on and tightened them, I wanted to spin the rear wheels to see if they move freely and if there was any error with my re-install.

I start the car, put it in Neutral and release the parking brake. One of the wheels made a metallic click/cling noise when I rotate it, but it moves freely forward (not backwards). Is the noise supposed to be there?
There shouldn't be any noise when your wheels rotate. Sounds like your new lug bolts may be too long and they're hitting your parking brake. I would remove them asap.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM

C Coupe
Originally Posted by mangoango
There shouldn't be any noise when your wheels rotate. Sounds like your new lug bolts may be too long and they're hitting your parking brake. I would remove them asap.
I used the original lug bolts. The car is down now with the wheels installed and parked... Will they suffer any damage if parked for 24 hrs like that?

I torqued it down to 96 lbs while they were still on jackstands. Now i know i'm supposed to tighten them with fingers while on jackstands, then lower the car and torque down to spec...

Help
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Remove the wheels and make sure you didn't bump the brake rotor shield that goes around the brake rotor. It could be resting against it causing noise.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM

C Coupe
I'll try that now thanks.

Btw this happened w/o the spacers installed, OEM lug bolts.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Keep us posted
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 AM

C Coupe
Not sure what it is... I just installed the wheel spacer and wheel back on and it still has it...

When i spun the wheel, it doesn't seem like anything is hitting it... I even used a flashlight to check the hub, brake caliper, etc... Here's a vid of the sound. It's not loud so you have to listen to it carefully. It's like a click sound every time it goes around one revolution.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
Not sure what it is... I just installed the wheel spacer and wheel back on and it still has it...

When i spun the wheel, it doesn't seem like anything is hitting it... I even used a flashlight to check the hub, brake caliper, etc... Here's a vid of the sound. It's not loud so you have to listen to it carefully. It's like a click sound every time it goes around one revolution.

http://youtu.be/_Lsd4OEQxQg
Sounds like the rotor is making slight contact with the dust shield behind it or slight brake pad drag. Take a spin around the block and hit the brakes a couple times and come back and see if its still there. Doesn't sound like anything serious. I've had the same sound before and it was the dust shield just slightly touching the rotor.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM

C Coupe
Originally Posted by Cleanbenz
Sounds like the rotor is making slight contact with the dust shield behind it or slight brake pad drag. Take a spin around the block and hit the brakes a couple times and come back and see if its still there. Doesn't sound like anything serious. I've had the same sound before and it was the dust shield just slightly touching the rotor.
Will do, thanks!

Do you know a fix for it if it is indeed the dust shield slightly touching the rotor? Perhaps it was there when i first got the car... I should've spun it before i took the wheels off.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Will do, thanks!

Do you know a fix for it if it is indeed the dust shield slightly touching the rotor? Perhaps it was there when i first got the car... I should've spun it before i took the wheels off.
Can you put a front wheel back there for a test spin?

Noise could be a small nut or pebble in the cavity behind the center cap.