C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Various creaks and rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w204 C180CGI Elegance
Various creaks and rattles

Dear all,
have searched the forum but have not been able to find solutions to the problems i am having with my MY2012 C Class sedan (facelift).
Hope you guys can help me out.

-B Pillar Creak: in cold weather I will hear a creak coming from both b pillars when driving over potholes or when accelerating from a complete stop. The creak seems to be coming from the interior b pillar cover. The noise will start once the cabin is slowly heating up and will vanish once the temperature has reached around 22C/75F. I have already tried to lubricate the door locks as this was suggested in another forum, still the creak persists.

-Creak coming from instrument cluster: again, when cold and heating up there will be a creak coming from around the covers of the instrument gauges. anyone find a fix for this?

-Crackling from rear shelf area, around rear window: when heating up a crackling can be heard from the rear shelf area....seems to be the plastic that is right next to the window.

-seat creaking: this noise seems to be coming from the lower left side of the seat when going in right corners....dealer was unable to fix this...lubricated the seat rail...still cracks from time to time.

Really hope you guys can help me out, already read that the facelifed c is prone to rattles like this, maybe some of you have found solutions to your problems. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Sorry to hear your car sounds like a rickety old man early in the mornings. I would advise leaving the car at the dealership one cold night and let them look at all the issues when it's cold. They can look for things without heating up the car's interior which should give them plenty of time to troubleshoot the issues.
Good luck as I know that creaks and rattles can make even the best car seem like a piece of junk.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM

w204 C180CGI Elegance
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Sorry to hear your car sounds like a rickety old man early in the mornings. I would advise leaving the car at the dealership one cold night and let them look at all the issues when it's cold. They can look for things without heating up the car's interior which should give them plenty of time to troubleshoot the issues.
Good luck as I know that creaks and rattles can make even the best car seem like a piece of junk.
thanks, car was at the dealer twice already....they lubricated the interior of the b pillar cover, and put felt around the instrument cluster, to no avail...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
The dealer is not trying hard enough. Persist on taking it back until it is fixed.

The car has too many atributes for you to be put off like this.

I had the rear parcel shelf problem & the dealer fixed it. I also had the instrument cluster rattle which seemed to be coming from the height adjuster. I packed it with foam & taped it which solved the problem.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM

c300 4matic
Originally Posted by w204xz
Dear all,
have searched the forum but have not been able to find solutions to the problems i am having with my MY2012 C Class sedan (facelift).
Hope you guys can help me out.

-B Pillar Creak: in cold weather I will hear a creak coming from both b pillars when driving over potholes or when accelerating from a complete stop. The creak seems to be coming from the interior b pillar cover. The noise will start once the cabin is slowly heating up and will vanish once the temperature has reached around 22C/75F. I have already tried to lubricate the door locks as this was suggested in another forum, still the creak persists.

-Creak coming from instrument cluster: again, when cold and heating up there will be a creak coming from around the covers of the instrument gauges. anyone find a fix for this?

-Crackling from rear shelf area, around rear window: when heating up a crackling can be heard from the rear shelf area....seems to be the plastic that is right next to the window.

-seat creaking: this noise seems to be coming from the lower left side of the seat when going in right corners....dealer was unable to fix this...lubricated the seat rail...still cracks from time to time.

Really hope you guys can help me out, already read that the facelifed c is prone to rattles like this, maybe some of you have found solutions to your problems. Thanks!
In the mornings I also have creaks coming form my front dash and instrument clusters. Dont know why. But mine only make noise whenever I go over bumps or imperfections in the road.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 AM

C350/'08 w204
Same here. The upper right-hand portion of the black plastic that surrounds my cluster creaks intermittently.....even more annoying is the sniffer fan that buzzes non-stop.....
Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Same here. Creaks on the dashboard and passanger front door when weather is too cold. I am waiting for my first service to complain.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 AM

w204 C180CGI Elegance
hey folks,
wanted to revive this thread.
given up hope that the dealer can fix all the rattles so i am beginning to fix them myself.
does anyone know how to take out the b pillar cover? read on another forum that you have to remove the interior seal and that the cover can then be taken out. want to put some felt behind that cover in order to reduce the creaks coming from that area.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Remove the black door sill trims, just pull them upwards, then you can remove the door seals, just pull them out around the entire b-pillar area, then you can unhook the b-pillar panelling using a plastic wedge or similar, its snapped into place with metal clips.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 AM

2012 C250
Hi everyone, I found a faint rattle that hasn't been described before. Long story short, I tracked it down to the plastic molding which holds the airbag in the steering wheel. I solved it with a small piece a foam about 1/2 inch thick and the size of a half dollar (See picture).

Full story:
My car (2012 c250) had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the instrument cluster or steering column. I would hear the rattle while driving over any imperfect or rough road. It wasn't very loud but very irritating.

I first thought it was coming from the instrument cluster or trim since those seemed to be common culprits during my searches. So I removed the instrument cluster and all the trim and applied felt tape and foam everywhere but the rattle would never go away.

So after some thought, I then eliminated the instrument cluster as the culprit and started to focus on the steering column. I stuffed foam into the column to no effect. I then started to take the steering wheel off to better access the steering column but noticed that the airbag portion of the wheel rattled in its molding. So before further disassembling the steering wheel and column, I applied a little bit of foam (see picture) and it cured the rattle.

Hope this helps someone experiencing the same problem I had.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Clever.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:12 PM

C 300 2015
Hey everyone! I've had my 2015 C 300 for a few months now, about 3k miles.... The interior started off solid, a significant upgrade from my 2013 c class.. But, then it started, the popping, the crackling, the ticks and tocks. Almost every part of the interior makes a noise at some point, the dash trim, the air vents, the seat belt adjuster, the center console, the arm rest, the doors, the mirror, the back window panel, the roof! it's like a bad symphony and so very annoying. As the weather gets warmer it's definitely getting worse. Now, on rough roads, the ride is still smooth, but the interior plastics pop and snap, making it feel rough and actually kinda cheap. The buttons are not soft touch and crackle if touched too hard. I love the car, but I find this to be unacceptable and I'm not sure how MB gets away with it... I'm taking it in next week to state my case,,, there are a couple other bugs in the car too... Anyone else going loco over this? Needed to vent, thanks for reading! :-/
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by bpsoren
Hey everyone! I've had my 2015 C 300 for a few months now, about 3k miles.... The interior started off solid, a significant upgrade from my 2013 c class.. But, then it started, the popping, the crackling, the ticks and tocks. Almost every part of the interior makes a noise at some point, the dash trim, the air vents, the seat belt adjuster, the center console, the arm rest, the doors, the mirror, the back window panel, the roof! it's like a bad symphony and so very annoying. As the weather gets warmer it's definitely getting worse. Now, on rough roads, the ride is still smooth, but the interior plastics pop and snap, making it feel rough and actually kinda cheap. The buttons are not soft touch and crackle if touched too hard. I love the car, but I find this to be unacceptable and I'm not sure how MB gets away with it... I'm taking it in next week to state my case,,, there are a couple other bugs in the car too... Anyone else going loco over this? Needed to vent, thanks for reading! :-/
Isnt the 2015, a w205? Wrong section..