C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

car won't start after low fuel then gassing up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300
car won't start after low fuel then gassing up

I was driving on really low fuel (coming home late and no gas station around) but knew I could make it to the gas station near home. I only had $20 on me, so that's how much I put in and drove home.

When leaving the gas station, my girlfriend pointed out that there was an unusually high gas order... I noticed it too but as we drove off, it went away. 2 mins later I was home and parked the car.

The next morning I started the car to let it warm up... and it just stalled after running for less than a minute. I tried to restart but nothing.

No codes lit up, car cranks nicely but after about 10 sec of cranking it sputters lightly but just won't start.

Might be just coincidence, but I'm thinking something to do with the low fuel situation the night before - Could it be clogged fuel filter? burned out fuel pump? MAF?

Anything else I can quickly and easily check before having to get it towed to the stealership?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I would put some more fuel in it to give the pump more suction head pressure to prime the system.

Sure you put the normal fuel in ? Do you normally re fuel at this servo.? Cleanliness ?

You may need some expert diagnosis . ie any fuel rail pressure ? then go back to the fuel pump / filters ect.Take the back seat out & see whether you can hear the fuel pump running when cranking.

Good luck & let us know how you go.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM

2009 C300
I did put a bottle of gas line anti-freeze earlier and tried to start it again after 45 mins but no go...

I might try and put a bit more gas in her tomorrow....

Yes, I put the most expensive gas (as usual) and I do frequently gas up at this Esso station for both my truck and my car with no previous problems.

It's times like this that I miss having a house with a garage
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Gas line anti freeze won't do anything once the fuel is frozen. Gas unlike diesel takes quite some freezing due to low wax content.

Check pressure at the front fuel rail Schrader valve. s/b > 3.8 bar or 55 psi while cranking.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM

2009 C300
Anyone know the size of the schrader valve? Is it a standard size?
The fuel pressure tester I can get says - fits Ford, GM and Chrysler test adapters and a "Tee" adapter for import vehicles. But this will not fit for the AN fitting and the tester will only work on standard sizes - not metric. think this will work on my C300?

Or is there a bolt I can remove and see if fuel squirts out... indicating there is pressure?

EDIT: here's the link to the manual for my pressure tester kit - not sure if I can use it without going through the schrader valve -> Pressure tester manual

Thanks!!

Last edited by Wiseguy_75; 02-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.