C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

CPO rims paint peeling off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
CPO rims paint peeling off

The paint on my CPO c300 rims are peeling off. It took me a few seconds to realize it was the paint from the rims that was on my hands when I was washing the wheels yesterday. After a spray of garden hose water an entire portion of the rim paint flew off (about 3" long x 2" wide). I am guessing before I had the car either the original owner or the dealer refinished the wheels before delivery. My question is can I still get this fixed even if the car is already 3 months out of the new car warranty but is still on the extended warranty program without me forking out my own cash? I just don't want to go to the dealer and waste 1.5 hour for them to say to me "nope you are on your own with that one"
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
If you have any kind of warranty take it in...simple as that
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
Call your SA and ask, he should know all what is and what is not covered by CPO
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
id say thats BS on a car that is 2009 under warranty. If they say no, id call MB USA direct and raise the issue
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport [work/weekends]; 2011 Camaro RS [summertime]; 2012 Lexus GX460 [snow, cargo, dogs]
I had the same issue on my 09 CPO. Not real noticeable, but I knew it was there. Dealer told me I was on my own [and my car was still in the new car warranty period] Would have likely been warrantable if they had been refinished by the dealer, but they had no record. I recently swapped out the stock wheels for AMGs so all is good now anyway - but, don't stop till your satisfied. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Will have to take the car in on Saturday but the SA is saying dont get my hopes too high. I'll keep you guys posted. If they say no then I'll be on a hunt for a stock AMG rims and these 17" will have snow shoed on them for next year.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM

2010 S550
Unhappy

Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
If you have any kind of warranty take it in...simple as that
I have a 2010 S550 (with absolutely every option the car can come with). The new car warranty will end in the middle of November this year (2013). I realized that the (original factory) paint is starting to peel off the right front wheel, so I took the car in for service, see if they would change the wheel due to defective paint application. Service said it's curb rush. I argued that the paint is starting to peel off FAR from where it could be a curb rush, besides there is absolutely no indentation or scratch of any kind on the rim, it's otherwise flawless, never been repaired or re-painted. The start of the paint peel is where the tire meets at the very edge of the rim, about ½-inch away from any location that could be reached by any curb... therefore no curb rush damage could cause the paint peel.

Service Manager said: "Maybe you drive your car too fast." and "Maybe your wheel JUST touched the curb where ONLY the paint touched the curb, but not the rim"

I said to him: "Are you serious? can you show me another example where ONLY THE PAINT would be touched by a curb rush, and to top it off, ALL AROUND THE WHEEL?" He said it's possible. I told him that's simply impossible, plus the paint is starting to peel where nothing can touch it, unless it's a knife or a flat-heat screwdriver, the location is about ½-inch off where a curb rush could do any damage.

He wouldn't budge, and he stated it is simply NOT a warranty issue. I turned to him and said this: "I thought the S-Class Mercedes-Benz is the BEST car in the world. How can THIS happen to a vehicle that costs over $152,000 ???!!!

This is starting to turn me off the entire Mercedes-Benz brand! I mean I HAD loved the car, I've been head over heels over the S-Class, this is the third generation of the S-Class I own... but I am starting to feel that if THIS is how the warranty is handled... maybe Mercedes-Benz is not such a great vehicle, after all. I mean getting the rim painted is not going to make me bankrupt, BUT it's the principle! I thought I am buying a QUALITY vehicle when I bought it!

I am about a month away from buying a new ML63 AMG for my wife... but, after all this, maybe I should look elsewhere for another brand that satisfies its LOYAL long time customers.

I even thought of drawing a very detailed diagram, explaining where the paint is peeling and perhaps approach someone higher up... but I am at a loss and truly disappointed with how Mercedes-Benz is handling warranty issues.

It's one way for Mercedes-Benz to say goodbye to a quarter of a million dollars in sales every 7 years. (I was about to formulate an idea of buying an ML63 AMG and an S550 every 7 years... but I am starting to change my mind now.)

Any ideas, anyone?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM

2010 S550
Paint peeling off wheel of 2010 S550

I have a 2010 S550 (with absolutely every option the car can come with). The new car warranty will end in the middle of November this year (2013). I realized that the (original factory) paint is starting to peel off the right front wheel, so I took the car in for service, see if they would change the wheel due to defective paint application. Service said it's curb rush. I argued that the paint is starting to peel off FAR from where it could be a curb rush, besides there is absolutely no indentation or scratch of any kind on the rim, it's otherwise flawless, never been repaired or re-painted. The start of the paint peel is where the tire meets at the very edge of the rim, about ½-inch away from any location that could be reached by any curb... therefore no curb rush damage could cause the paint peel.

Service Manager said: "Maybe you drive your car too fast." and "Maybe your wheel JUST touched the curb where ONLY the paint touched the curb, but not the rim"

I said to him: "Are you serious? can you show me another example where ONLY THE PAINT would be touched by a curb rush, and to top it off, ALL AROUND THE WHEEL?" He said it's possible. I told him that's simply impossible, plus the paint is starting to peel where nothing can touch it, unless it's a knife or a flat-heat screwdriver, the location is about ½-inch off where a curb rush could do any damage.

He wouldn't budge, and he stated it is simply NOT a warranty issue. I turned to him and said this: "I thought the S-Class Mercedes-Benz is the BEST car in the world. How can THIS happen to a vehicle that costs over $152,000?!!!

This is starting to turn me off the entire Mercedes-Benz brand! I mean I HAD loved the car, I've been head over heels over the S-Class, this is the third generation of the S-Class I own... but I am starting to feel that if THIS is how the warranty is handled... maybe Mercedes-Benz is not such a great vehicle, after all. I mean getting the rim painted is not going to make me bankrupt, BUT it's the principle! I thought I am buying a QUALITY vehicle when I bought it!

I am about a month away from buying a new ML63 AMG for my wife... but, after all this, maybe I should look elsewhere for another brand that satisfies its LOYAL long time customers.

I even thought of drawing a very detailed diagram, explaining where the paint is peeling and perhaps approach someone higher up... but I am at a loss and truly disappointed with how Mercedes-Benz is handling warranty issues.

It's one way for Mercedes-Benz to say goodbye to a quarter of a million dollars in sales every 7 years. (I was about to formulate an idea of buying an ML63 AMG and an S550 every 7 years... but I am starting to change my mind now.)

Any ideas, anyone?
Attached Thumbnails CPO rims paint peeling off-paintpeel.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 AM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
I hate that....

... when the service advisor gives excuses instead of doing what's right. I'd go directly to MBUSA and if that doesn't do it, go to MB Germany and fight through the translation (it isn't hard to figure out) and send the mother ship an email explaining your situation.

Someone there will turn it back to MBUSA but they'll know your complaint came through Germany.

THAT's what I'd try.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 AM

2010 C300 RWD Auto, 2010 Prius, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by allproroofing
Any ideas, anyone?
Based on the diagram, I'd agree it's not curb rash. If it is not MB quality issue, I'd say that it might be from improper handling or damage from tire change. Especially, if it is is all the way around.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
I understand its the principle, but for 80-130$ ( if its only one wheel) I wouldnt waste all that time contacting MB germany, MBUSA, etc...but good luck
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s Coupe 2016 C450 DAILY
Originally Posted by KCaudell
... when the service advisor gives excuses instead of doing what's right. I'd go directly to MBUSA and if that doesn't do it, go to MB Germany and fight through the translation (it isn't hard to figure out) and send the mother ship an email explaining your situation.

Someone there will turn it back to MBUSA but they'll know your complaint came through Germany.

THAT's what I'd try.
+1 I've done this and it actually works, I got sick of American dealerships ruining the Mercedes name with customer satisfaction/quality of work so i went directly to the mothership. If that doesn't work, find out what company owns that dealership and file with BBB, your AG or just simply let that company know. You'd be surprised what goes on in dealerships that the owners are not aware of.