C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C Class to A class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180
C Class to A class

Would anyone trade in the FL W204 for the new A Class?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Not myself, having checked out 3 models of the A and a B at the MB dealer when my C300 was serviced in January. They are very expensive in Mexico, some C Class are less than the A Class.

The focus of the A and B are now aimed at a much younger market. The previous B, especially the B200 Turbo, was more Soccer-Mom oriented mini-minivan and had lots of space and the acceleration of the turbo with the CVT was fantastic, and I almost bought one myself. Now the B feels more encapsulated and confined. The older A had its charm, especially in interior and rear legroom, having had an A180 for years in Luxembourg. The new one feels quite snug in comparison to the older A and of course to the C class. The Smart ForFour is very similar to the older A, a truly excellent and economical to operate small 4 door car.

Many for sure will be hard pressed to choose the C class vs. the CLA, when they become available, the CLA is actually longer, and has identical trunk space. In the US the CLA250 will be a huge magnet to draw away 1 Series and A1/A3 buyers for sure. Since AWD will eventually be available in the US (who knows at what cost?) only the "donut crowd" will not be tempted by the CLA. Lets hope the W205 is a knockout, otherwise the C class is in for real trouble from its CLA sybling.

Annexed is pricing for the A, C and CLA. Take into account the fact that a C250 is fully optioned and Eurospec, whereas the C180 and C200 have the minimum equipment although also in Eurospec. The CLA comes only fully optioned. There are no orderable options in Mexico unless you jump to De$igno and wait 8 months for a vehicle.

You can calculate $15 pesos to the US dollar which take into account the value added tax, which most customers are able to recover, so it is not a factor, besides being 25% deductible each year up to a limit of $300,000 pesos.
Attached Thumbnails C Class to A class-aclass.jpg   C Class to A class-cclass.jpg   C Class to A class-cla.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by woofie55
Would anyone trade in the FL W204 for the new A Class?
Other than exterior sheetmetal, why? It has a horrible instrument panel with an odd screen apparently glued to the top. It's fwd vs. much better balanced C Class rwd, unless you want to carry around the weight of awd hardware all year. The early road tests already note the tendency toward understeer and that the car doesn't feel particularly "sporty".

CLA will be a great alternative for folks who suddenly realize that for the price of a well equipped Accord or similar, they can have a Benz. CLA will also be attractive to people for whom a car is something pretty that takes them places, but with a less enthusiastic driving style.

Here's a prediction based on my guess at the eventual buyer group. They will be deliriously happy when they take delivery and are driving around. But, arguments and fainting spells will increase significantly at the service department cashier counter......"Honda never charged this much!!""
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
There is nothing inherently wrong with the A or B class, the format is quite popular in Europe and is much more luxurious compared to the "hot hatch" Fords, Peugeot, Citroen, and Kia. The true competition for the A Class is NOT the C class of course, as Sportstick points out, but BMW 1 Series and Audi A1 and A3. The A class is superior in the "look and feel" aspect of luxury over the 1 Series, the Audi is closer (also the Audi's are both FWD).

Sitting in the A250 Sport is like slipping on a very comfortable glove, many with an over 38" waistband will find it TOO snug. The interior styling depends quite on one's point of view, two of my four children (three with BMW's) found the A class interior and layout "refreshing and superior" to the C class, the 1-Series AND the 3-seres. Those who like the 1-Series will immediately "get" the A250, although driving and performance-wise admittedly the 1-Series is one of the best out there. And let's not be ethnocentric about age-market preferences, many think the C-Class Sport is still an "old person's car".

Agreed that the CLA will be a watershed for MB, hopefully the W205 will be sufficiently attractive to define that distinct market segment, as the A currently does as a hatch.

As for maintenance, with Honda's service cycle being 10,000 kms and the Mercedes 25,000 kms, in a year the costs ARE THE SAME. Last month taking both the Accord and the W204 for service, my first reaction to the invoice was "Hey the Accord is so much cheaper...", however multiplying that by 2 or 3 times for a year, plus the inconvenience of taking the Honda to the dealer more frequently, the C class "A" services cost not one peso more for the same mileage driven.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The new CLA is actually longer, wider & lower than the W204. The W205 will be a larger vehicle than the W204 so that the CLA slots in below it.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Have looked at the A Class, but it's smaller than the W204 and here in The Netherlands an A Class with some options cost more than the C Class .

I have had the W169 A-Class, an A200 Turbo, was a fantastic car....

No i keep it by my W204....