C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Noise - what is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise - what is it?

while the car is moving, I hear constant noise. A train like noise - not whining
I am not sure if it's the tires or something under the hood.
Hard to describe it but at low or high speed, the noise is constant and noticeable. Suspension, tires, engine problems? I don't think it's the engine because at idle, the engine sounds fine when rpm revs up. Please help so I can advise the SA to get it fixed.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s Coupe 2016 C450 DAILY
post a clip ?

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by comanche
while the car is moving, I hear constant noise. A train like noise - not whining
I am not sure if it's the tires or something under the hood.
Hard to describe it but at low or high speed, the noise is constant and noticeable. Suspension, tires, engine problems? I don't think it's the engine because at idle, the engine sounds fine when rpm revs up. Please help so I can advise the SA to get it fixed.
May I suggest a different approach? Rather than have us guess long-distance or from a sub-optimal audio clip, it is the role of the SA to coordinate the diagnosis. The repair order should start with "Diagnose and advise repair cost for noise...(description of noise)". If you go in with one of our guesses and they do exactly what you ask, rotate tires, for example, and it doesn't solve the problem, you have no recourse. If the RO reads as suggested above, and you allow them to diagnose and complete the repair, you do have recourse if the noise persists, as they would not have performed their part of the contract. General rule...go in with problems, not solutions.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 PM

Sportstick,

I have had a noise issue , as you can see on one of my posts "Noise Issue " the advisor claims its normal and MBUSA is refusing to send a tech out. I have extended warranty, etc. I have not received anything on their diagnosis so far nor have they told me what theyve done to try to figure it out. any advice?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Bosnia1992
Sportstick,

I have had a noise issue , as you can see on one of my posts "Noise Issue " the advisor claims its normal and MBUSA is refusing to send a tech out. I have extended warranty, etc. I have not received anything on their diagnosis so far nor have they told me what theyve done to try to figure it out. any advice?

I see your thread is lengthy and haven't read it all so apologies if I repeat something you've already done. If the communication with the SA has broken down, ask the Manager to demonstrate the "normal" noise in another vehicle. If that is refused, I would also try another dealership. I've never experienced a Tech Advisor rep from a manufacturer refusing to meet. They routinely visit all their assigned stores and it's just a matter of making an appointment via the dealership Service Manager who knows when the next visit is scheduled. In your general area, the same MBUSA tech would be the person you would see at neighboring dealerships.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I see your thread is lengthy and haven't read it all so apologies if I repeat something you've already done. If the communication with the SA has broken down, ask the Manager to demonstrate the "normal" noise in another vehicle. If that is refused, I would also try another dealership. I've never experienced a Tech Advisor rep from a manufacturer refusing to meet. They routinely visit all their assigned stores and it's just a matter of making an appointment via the dealership Service Manager who knows when the next visit is scheduled. In your general area, the same MBUSA tech would be the person you would see at neighboring dealerships.

I apologize in advance for posting my problem on this thread.

They showed me another car , but it was neglected, looked from a junkyard and I am not exaggerating. It had the same noise, but mine was much louder, they also failed to acknowledge the loud and obnoxious power steering noise as well. At the end of the day, coming from the service adviser, the technician contacted a specialty MBUSA tech, not sure if it's over email or phone; told him/her what he did to try to diagnose it and apparently at the end of this it was a normal noise. In my experience with other brands, dodge, ford, audi, bmw none of these made this noise.

I've not received any information on what type of diagnosis routine they attempted, it almost feels like secrecy .

If you could, at your convenience watch the video clip on my thread and from your experience tell me if it's normal, or what steps you would take to get this resolved as you do seem more experienced with the brand. Thank you.