C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Debadge Paint Damage....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Ikester
i agree amazing stuff!
The chips are so small I wonder if I can even get paint into it.. I do like the spot painting idea better though...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM
J__

2012 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by dolvio
Good response. I was going to do this myself but sometimes just find it easier to have someone do it for me. Having a hard time lately with my injuries from the recent car accident... They did use a plastic tool and I watched them do it with a heat gun. I realize that 3M tape after 3 years can be a bit tough and just let them do it. My mistake perhaps. I was mad upon the final result and said so. They tried to tell me it was there prior. I found some paint over-spray on the trunk which I never noticed before and they pointed that out and said the trunk was repainted before and this damage occured then. I am shocked to see that trunk may have been repainted... I doubt it though and if that were the case the badges should have come off even easier being on there longer.

I am going to order the badges from parts.com (C63 AMG of course, kidding)... and see how I feel ina couple weeks. I plan to drive this car for 5 years and do some light cosmetic mods.

What's the risk in painting the trunk in your opinion?

Adam
easiest way to tell if your trunk has been previously repainted is to look at the edge, if there is a 'edge' of clear coat/paint, then it's been repainted. If it's smooth all the way around to the underside, then it's factory paint.

there's no real 'risk' of repainting a car, only thing is depending if you find a good shop or not. Bad shops would have trouble color matching and might have orange peel. Good shops cost more.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Hey... where is that part on your car? I know bumpers are way easier but I have never seen any spot paints on a panel or trunk lid...?
Right hand rear bumper corner. I reversed into my builders van.

Easier to do on any vertical surface. Also had the left rear door done due to a stone from a weedeater & RHS front fender due to a stone thrown up by a truck. All spot repaired & you could see no sign the vehicle had been touched. One hour job!

This fender also spot repaired where the shoulder crease ends.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 05-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
I took the car to Mercedes today and they told me the trunk has had paint work done to it... They picked out a few things I could hardly notice and some orange peel, etc.. I couldn't tell. They said they can paint the whole panel where our badges are for about $350. See pic or what they can paint. They said it will look pretty good and I should be happy. I am also adding a lip spoiler as well.

The other option is I repaint the entire trunk deck/lid. This is about $550. I worry here about overall paint match and making a small thing into a huge project.

Any thoughts guys?

Adam
Attached Thumbnails Debadge Paint Damage....-trunk-lid33.jpg  

Last edited by dolvio; 05-06-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
The chip was so minor I don't think it worth the $300-500 fix... Just a $20 Dr.colourchip will do the job
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Why do they have to make it so hard. The Glasurit match will be perfect & you can just spot repair.

All dealers use guys that do paintless dent repair & spot touch up work for their used car lots. That's why cars in the used lot never have stone chips on the nose etc. All you need is one of these used car touch up "artists"

The cars come new with orange peel.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

See video at Dent Magic Express SA for detail. These guys also offer a mobile service to dealers where they go to them.

http://www.dentmagicexpress.co.za/which-option
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Why do they have to make it so hard. The Glasurit match will be perfect & you can just spot repair.

All dealers use guys that do paintless dent repair & spot touch up work for their used car lots. That's why cars in the used lot never have stone chips on the nose etc. All you need is one of these used car touch up "artists"

The cars come new with orange peel.

Agree with you.. I actually know a gy who used to do the dealership cars for cheap. He has done many of my cars for peanuts compared to what a body shop would cost. I am going to see him tomorrow.

After I wet to Mercedes today I went to http://www.colorworks.ca/ to have them look at the car. They do the same as you are talking about and what the guy I am seeing tomorrow does. He was not so confident that a good finish would be to my satisfaction and he would still charge me a $150. He felt I should have Mercedes paint the entire trunk because he noticed a few things that were kind of shotty. I didn't even notice them to be honest.. I don't really want to paint the whole trunk as I worry about color match.

I just got this car and feel that a quick fix might not satisfy me. I want a finish to last me 5 years and done properly. Allows me to sleep easier I feel that if Mercedes does it.. it will be the best it can be.

Adam
Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Why do they have to make it so hard.
Greed.

Don't paint the whole lid. That's ridiculously overkill for that minor defect. Just do a spot repair.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Greed.

Don't paint the whole lid. That's ridiculously overkill for that minor defect. Just do a spot repair.
It appears the trunk was already painted and you can see overspray (runs) and it was done cheaply. I am likely not going to paint the whole thing as if that's what I have to do then I will just putthe badges back on... I am leaning towards having MB paint that part properly and maybe wetsand and polish the whole thing (I think they have to anyways) and put on the spoiler. The spoiler will actually hide where they are stopping the paint and blending if there is anything to show.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Dent Magic in SA would charge you approx $65 to fix your trunk lid as per the video. The Glasurit waterbased base coat/nano clear is what is on your car already if it is German or SA build.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Dent Magic in SA would charge you approx $65 to fix your trunk lid as per the video. The Glasurit waterbased base coat/nano clear is what is on your car already if it is German or SA build.
Unfortunately I don't live there and only have a few choices up here. I am listening to what you are saying though... The cheap places the dealers use up here are colourworks and save on paint. I remember spot repairs being $80 10 years ago. Today they are $150 it seems. I am a little torn what to do... The little stuff the paint guy pointed out today I never noticed. I never even noticed the paint runs on the trunk. And I am picky and spot everything!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Understood. Your labour costs are higher than ours etc.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Understood. Your labour costs are higher than ours etc.
Seems like you have more options maybe reducing the cost of this repair... Kind of a shame for me up here. I am still trying to find someone to program my rear SAM if I was to upgrade to 2012 tailights.. no luck...!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Seems like you have more options maybe reducing the cost of this repair... Kind of a shame for me up here. I am still trying to find someone to program my rear SAM if I was to upgrade to 2012 tailights.. no luck...!
I see you live in BC, I live in Alberta and I had to send my SAM to Seattle and back.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by snowmuch
I see you live in BC, I live in Alberta and I had to send my SAM to Seattle and back.
Do they not do it at dealers up here?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Ikester
i agree amazing stuff!
The Best do it yourself paint chip repair ever made - I use it on all my cars, steel grey, silver and black, it is really a great product.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 AM

2010 C250 4Matic
See video at Dent Magic Express SA for detail. These guys also offer a mobile service to dealers where they go to them.

http://www.dentmagicexpress.co.za/which-option
Okay, first off this is the coolest car shot ever..! We do not have this in Vancouver, British Columbia... We do hav the guys that do dentless paint removal, and the scratch/scuff fix, etc. Like I said I had a company look at it today. They recomended I paint the whole trunk lid... I just want the small chips gone and a spoiler on.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Do they not do it at dealers up here?
The dealership in Canada will not do it because they said it was illegal.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 AM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by snowmuch
The dealership in Canada will not do it because they said it was illegal.
Well its a liability thing.. if for some reason the tail lights fail.. liability. ..
Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 AM

2010 C300
First off your simple debadging has gotten to be very expensive. I know you're pissed but I promise you the moment you spend all that $$$ to get it fixed. Another scratch will appear. If at the worst way too...on your trunk. Initially you are pissed. But it's just a car. You are your own worst critic to spots, knicks, and scuffs. We see everything and the more we think about it the worse it gets.

So give this a thought. Give it some time to cool down in your head and you are no longer a pissed off owner. Use, to your judgement, the best spot paint fixer. If then you don't like it after a couple of weeks put the badges back on or repaint it. If it works. You have a debaged car and $300 to buy a different cool toy for your car.

Also a note: I have not seen the MB white in person but if there is no metallic in it then spot painting will not yield a different color. Metallic base paints and silver are the hardest to color match. How do I know? Try turning a red hood and grill into a white hood and grill without anyone ever knowing...because I pulled it off

Last edited by CzchMex; 05-07-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, first off this is the coolest car shot ever..! We do not have this in Vancouver, British Columbia... We do hav the guys that do dentless paint removal, and the scratch/scuff fix, etc. Like I said I had a company look at it today. They recomended I paint the whole trunk lid... I just want the small chips gone and a spoiler on.
Understood!

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 AM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by CzchMex
First off your simple debadging has gotten to be very expensive. I know you're pissed but I promise you the moment you spend all that $$$ to get it fixed. Another scratch will appear. If at the worst way too...on your trunk. Initially you are pissed. But it's just a car. You are your own worst critic to spots, knicks, and scuffs. We see everything and the more we think about it the worse it gets.

So give this a thought. Give it some time to cool down in your head and you are no longer a pissed off owner. Use, to your judgement, the best spot paint fixer. If then you don't like it after a couple of weeks put the badges back on or repaint it. If it works. You have a debaged car and $300 to buy a different cool toy for your car.

Also a note: I have not seen the MB white in person but if there is no metallic in it then spot painting will not yield a different color. Metallic base paints and silver are the hardest to color match. How do I know? Try turning a red hood and grill into a white hood and grill without anyone ever knowing...because I pulled it off
Thanks for the response and you are very right. I am a perfectionist and this is challenging with my daily driver. Our rads here are often very beat up due to road construction and our drivers are not the best.

Upon more and more inspection of my tail end of the car... It appears there was damage that was fixed. None reported on CarFax. I notice the little things but the car is mine now and not much I can do about it. I am liklt to go the spot painting route through mercedes and call it a day. I have my spoiler to add now as well and it shoud help take away from any flaws on the back end. You are right though.. It's just a car... and my daily driver. This is my 19th car (I am 30 years old) and I have never been able to keep perfect. I bought a brand new TL in 2004 and a few months later I got a small hit. They could never match the pearl.. EVER! After spending 50 grand on that car and having that happen I almost gave up driving a nice car.

Thanks for your comments and I will see you around the site here.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM

2010 C300
Thanks for the response and you are very right. I am a perfectionist and this is challenging with my daily driver. Our rads here are often very beat up due to road construction and our drivers are not the best.

Upon more and more inspection of my tail end of the car... It appears there was damage that was fixed. None reported on CarFax. I notice the little things but the car is mine now and not much I can do about it. I am liklt to go the spot painting route through mercedes and call it a day. I have my spoiler to add now as well and it shoud help take away from any flaws on the back end. You are right though.. It's just a car... and my daily driver. This is my 19th car (I am 30 years old) and I have never been able to keep perfect. I bought a brand new TL in 2004 and a few months later I got a small hit. They could never match the pearl.. EVER! After spending 50 grand on that car and having that happen I almost gave up driving a nice car.

Thanks for your comments and I will see you around the site here.
Yea I'm a perfectionist too cursed by OCD. It sucks. Oddly I used to be so uptight about my cars and I've just learn to grow past it (I'm 30 too). Yes it sucks and I will eventually fix it. But if I manage to hold off for a couple of weeks I manage to curb the initial OCD kicking in. So that's my trick.

Best of luck fixing it up. I know you'll eventually fix it. Lol. We always do. Just never fix it while you are in the upset stage. That's where the money will be spent unwisely.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM

2010 C300
Oh and by the way...I just debadged my car and now I have the "C300" rings that I will have to figure a way to eliminate... Lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Debadge Paint Damage....