C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

First Car: Smartest decision?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
@Sportstick. Your seagull analogy had me in stitches. I know you were laughing as you typed that response. Very funny. You seem to be very easy going. You are good to go in my book.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by loshea
@Sportstick. Your seagull analogy had me in stitches. I know you were laughing as you typed that response. Very funny. You seem to be very easy going. You are good to go in my book.
Thanks, but can't take credit for originating it.....first heard it from a colleague at the office. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by snowmuch
^^ I still have no idea why that guy is here to brag about his interior it looks like something that old man would like. Nothing sporty like the c class.
Don't mind him. He's "Oliver S" who is known to be a cranky, envious character who uses his time here to express pessimism and hate. He actually had to change his name because its presence was the E equivalent to smelling garlic breath coming out of somebody's mouth.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:27 AM

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
I have driven the 3 series often before i bought my C300. I didn't know which on to pick like you. But I did went with a low mile C300 fully loaded with 100k warranty.

I hope you will have a plan to pay for your car. You are looking at College and rent next year.

ps. driving a C300 at such a young age will get you a lot of unwanted attention. BE Ready to deal with the Haters. I'm speaking from experience.

Last edited by DanielQuoc; 05-24-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by K-A
Don't mind him. He's "Oliver S" who is known to be a cranky, envious character who uses his time here to express pessimism and hate. He actually had to change his name because its presence was the E equivalent to smelling garlic breath coming out of somebody's mouth.
coming from a pathetic joke such as yourself, that sure is rich. I changed my name for consistency with other forums.

now go run along and write a blog on your asinine interpretations of vehicle design.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
You're young and if you are an enthusiast consider buying a 1987-1995 W124.
Pristine, low mileage, well maintained examples can be had for under $5K.
You'll have the experience of knowing what the last great over engineered Mercedes feels like.
Easy to maintain, minimal electronics and keep it for a bit and sell it for about what you bought it for and possibly more.
Lower insurance rates and repair costs then any newer Merc.
Young guys need to discover "young timers".

Personally I wouldn't buy any newer Merc unless it is a low production and collectible AMG variant.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
coming from a pathetic joke such as yourself, that sure is rich. I changed my name for consistency with other forums.

now go run along and write a blog on your asinine interpretations of vehicle design.

What was that Oliver? Sorry, I don't deem a troll who got so much negativity due to his overzealous negativity worthy of debating anything I say.

Change your name back and then let's see where we stand.

You can hide behind as many emoticons as you want.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 PM

None
Originally Posted by MikeCeltic
So after a year of heavy saving I am ready to buy a car. I'll be turning 17 soon and looking to buy my first car.

Options:
2007 BMW 328xi
~90k Miles

2008 C300
~50k Miles

Used Honda/Toyota
~50k Miles

Is it smart for me to go and buy a C300? I found one for 17,500 with a year and 2 months/135k miles left on warranty, 54k miles, and the basically standard P1 package. I'm not planning to finance the car but pay it full in cash. I will have some money for maintenance but not looking for anything that will break the bank. I've been debating with myself if it is stupid to buy something so nice as my first car.

Thanks!
MikeCeltic, unfortunately your thread has been hijacked into an irrelevant debate about what constitutes a luxury car.

I'm a father who raised three and put them all through college. All are doing well, but in their younger years (20s), they all had personal budget struggles, as did I in that stage of life.

The answer to your very good question is crystal clear to me: get the Honda. We've owned three Hondas of different vintages, all drop dead reliable and inexpensive to own. Don't buy anything that is expensive to insure, maintain, and repair. Save that for later on. Best wishes to you.........go forth and get a good education and make money! Then and only then, buy a nicer car, new or used.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 AM

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Go Navy
MikeCeltic, unfortunately your thread has been hijacked into an irrelevant debate about what constitutes a luxury car.

I'm a father who raised three and put them all through college. All are doing well, but in their younger years (20s), they all had personal budget struggles, as did I in that stage of life.

The answer to your very good question is crystal clear to me: get the Honda. We've owned three Hondas of different vintages, all drop dead reliable and inexpensive to own. Don't buy anything that is expensive to insure, maintain, and repair. Save that for later on. Best wishes to you.........go forth and get a good education and make money! Then and only then, buy a nicer car, new or used.
You sir has a great point! That is exactly what I did.
When i was 18, I bought a used 1995 Camry to commute to school and work for 6 years until this year. I did my school and founded a successful company a year ago. Then I went to buy my dream car that I love 4 years ago but couldn't afford. I don't have any stress paying bills and I am happy that I waited a long time for it. It's a great daily. I would suggest to save money for school and make good money after !
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
And to think that all of this time I have been hanging around in the x164 forum. This side of the tracks is so much more fun.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM

None
Originally Posted by DanielQuoc
You sir has a great point! That is exactly what I did.
When i was 18, I bought a used 1995 Camry to commute to school and work for 6 years until this year. I did my school and founded a successful company a year ago. Then I went to buy my dream car that I love 4 years ago but couldn't afford. I don't have any stress paying bills and I am happy that I waited a long time for it. It's a great daily. I would suggest to save money for school and make good money after !
Words of wisdom, Daniel; MikeCeltic, are you reading this? It's sometimes called "deferred gratification", and it's how people become financially secure, avoid debt problems, avoid the victim mentality, and don't go broke. It's a concept that few people today understand or embrace. Most people in your generation are clueless about personal finance.