C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

First Car: Smartest decision?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBD
First Car: Smartest decision?

So after a year of heavy saving I am ready to buy a car. I'll be turning 17 soon and looking to buy my first car.

Options:
2007 BMW 328xi
~90k Miles

2008 C300
~50k Miles

Used Honda/Toyota
~50k Miles

Is it smart for me to go and buy a C300? I found one for 17,500 with a year and 2 months/135k miles left on warranty, 54k miles, and the basically standard P1 package. I'm not planning to finance the car but pay it full in cash. I will have some money for maintenance but not looking for anything that will break the bank. I've been debating with myself if it is stupid to buy something so nice as my first car.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Meh, the C300 is a reliable car. The only really expensive issue that comes up pretty frequently with the earlier cars is the EIS. I still would advocate buying the $7k less Honda, though.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
If the C300 you are looking at includes the 7yr/135K mile Extended Mercedes Warranty- the EIS should be covered by the warranty. $17.5K is a decent price for a '08 C300 with P1 and I can definitely vouch for the safety. The Service intervals are around 13000 mile or 1 year. A= $250-400/B=$500-600. I spend more servicing my Toyota FJ Cruiser.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts
2024 GLS450
I'd say go with the Mercedes. They made the first car on the road, and they still make the best car on the road IMO. It's not hard to do your own work on for basic maintenance, it's a very safe car and is light years ahead of the others listed in terms of refinement.

The e90 BMW is not exactly known for being the most reliable - particularly in early years (2006-2008 were a crapshoot), and while you don't say if the C300 is a 4Matic - I'd consider the AWD system on the BMW to be a liability if you don't need it - in repairs and fuel economy.

I would not go with a Honda/Toyota. You get what you pay for - I'll spare you my opinionated rant of inferior engineering and coasting on their past reputation. The only thing they have going for them is that they are FWD and would understeer predictably in an emergency or if you pushed the car too hard (albeit much easier to do than either of the Germans).
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
The "real" smart decision would be go with the honda/toyota unless you/your parents are loaded.

Bmw and MB requires loads of cash to maintenance(If something goes wrong you will break the bank). If you really want to impress your friends and being surrounded by ladies during your college year and cash is not a issue then go for it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 AM

2010' C250 W204
Originally Posted by snowmuch
The "real" smart decision would be go with the honda/toyota unless you/your parents are loaded.

Bmw and MB requires loads of cash to maintenance(If something goes wrong you will break the bank). If you really want to impress your friends and being surrounded by ladies during your college year and cash is not a issue then go for it.
^This.

If cash is an issue then a BMW/MB isn't the one to go for. It's a first car as well; BMW/MBs are luxury car segments by heart, and their main markets are the higher spectrum so usually as you get older, then the reality of owning one is generally more reachable.

But as others have stated, an MB is a very safe car, very reliable. Provided you drive carefully, and the car regularly checked, an MB will last you for quite a long time.

Actually now I'm contradicting myself lol. Ahh what the heck just get the Mercedes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I don't find this to be a particularly expensive car to maintain... then again, I turn my own wrenches on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Much of the answer will depend on your personality. Are you a planner or an immediate gratification type of person? The reality is that the C Class has proven itself to generally be quite reliable. However, 1) there are cars even on this forum which have had an unreasonable amount of repair issues, so it's a risk, even if lower than on other Benzes, and 2) maintenance will be significantly more expensive than on more commonly found cars, such as Hondas, even if you do the work yourself. You still need parts.

A planner would go to a Honda dealer and find a low mileage, certified used car to his/her liking that fits the current budget and work out a deal for a service loaner so getting to school/work was never an issue if a problem did arise. Then, they would secure an education in a field which promises them a future which would allow them to buy the MB of their choosing and be able to afford it comfortably.

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 AM

2011 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Invest the money and wait until you can afford a fully loaded MB!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
After checking out all the recent changes in BMW and Audi, still think the 2008-2010 W204 is the most gorgeous mid-size car out there. After 3 1/2 years, have never had one service issue with the C300, only oil changes and TCU software update (free).

Reliability, the BMW Xdrive will have expensive service problems soon, as it is nearing 100k miles. The better "bargain" is the C300 with only 50k, just make sure the transmission has had a full fluid change including the torque convertor. Attached are the reliability surveys, you can also go to truedelta.com and check their owners survey.
Attached Thumbnails First Car: Smartest decision?-w204reliability.jpg   First Car: Smartest decision?-bmw328ireliability.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Sorry, should qualify previous post: the 2008 C300/350 Sport with the AMG trim package is the best looking, both inside and out. The 2007 BMW 328i, frankly the rear-end styling was a huge MISTAKE. Although the performance of the 3.0L inline 6 of the BMW is excellent, the Mercedes has both 10% more HP and torque, however the W204 is tremendously disadvantaged by the horrible 7G Tronic transmission shifting, making the 328xi a full second faster 0 - 60 MPH.

In either case, make sure the car you buy has the HK stereo with the Logic 7 surround sound system. If not, you will be VERY sorry about the stock audio systems from these two "luxury" manufacturers, as a base Hyundai has far superior sound and cabin technology.
Attached Thumbnails First Car: Smartest decision?-sportamgtrim.jpg   First Car: Smartest decision?-2007bmw328i.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
its just a car kid, who cares what you spend your money on.....you only live once, and death is always around the corner

Last edited by caligreenzzz; 05-13-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@caligreenzzz: two conflicting statements "who cares..." and "you only live once..." which means one should take care in every important decision like purchasing a first vehicle. Make up your mind, or be silent, thank you. MikeCeltic is here for our enthusiast help.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
A C-class is not a luxury but parts are priced as if it was. If you can not do your own work, you will be hurting at $150 an hour. $17k isn't that much, but its also 70% more than the honda/toyota.

i recommend the honda/toyota. Simple, reliable, inexpensive to repair, and will give you something to reach for in college and after.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
On the other hand, my high school vehicle was a 7.2L muscle car but for college bought one of the first BMW 2002's in the US (1968), used of course. Drove it 30k miles and modified it extensively. As for cost, "necessity is the Mother of invention", and car ownership while in school provides one with the incentive to be financially productive to support it. The more expensive the vehicle, the more resourceful one learns to be, something not taught in Business 101. Perhaps Honda/Toyota ownership engenders a pattern of behavior which is difficult to break later on.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by caligreenzzz
its just a car kid, who cares what you spend your money on.....you only live once, and death is always around the corner
EXACTLY! Seems like you worked hard for your money, might as well spend it on something you'll really enjoy.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM

TBD
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Meh, the C300 is a reliable car. The only really expensive issue that comes up pretty frequently with the earlier cars is the EIS. I still would advocate buying the $7k less Honda, though.
Thanks. It seems that problem can cost around $2k.

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
If the C300 you are looking at includes the 7yr/135K mile Extended Mercedes Warranty- the EIS should be covered by the warranty. $17.5K is a decent price for a '08 C300 with P1 and I can definitely vouch for the safety. The Service intervals are around 13000 mile or 1 year. A= $250-400/B=$500-600. I spend more servicing my Toyota FJ Cruiser.
If the cost of maintenance is under 1k a year I have no problem really. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I'd say go with the Mercedes. They made the first car on the road, and they still make the best car on the road IMO. It's not hard to do your own work on for basic maintenance, it's a very safe car and is light years ahead of the others listed in terms of refinement.

The e90 BMW is not exactly known for being the most reliable - particularly in early years (2006-2008 were a crapshoot), and while you don't say if the C300 is a 4Matic - I'd consider the AWD system on the BMW to be a liability if you don't need it - in repairs and fuel economy.

I would not go with a Honda/Toyota. You get what you pay for - I'll spare you my opinionated rant of inferior engineering and coasting on their past reputation. The only thing they have going for them is that they are FWD and would understeer predictably in an emergency or if you pushed the car too hard (albeit much easier to do than either of the Germans).
Yea, unfortunately the C300 is not AWD. Thanks!

Originally Posted by snowmuch

I don't care about impressing others or the emblem on the front. I love the look and ride of the C300. I've heard otherwise with C300s maintenance. Thanks!

Originally Posted by This is a Lamp
^This.

If cash is an issue then a BMW/MB isn't the one to go for. It's a first car as well; BMW/MBs are luxury car segments by heart, and their main markets are the higher spectrum so usually as you get older, then the reality of owning one is generally more reachable.

But as others have stated, an MB is a very safe car, very reliable. Provided you drive carefully, and the car regularly checked, an MB will last you for quite a long time.

Actually now I'm contradicting myself lol. Ahh what the heck just get the Mercedes
Haha, I always come back to wanting to get one. Thanks!

I don't find this to be a particularly expensive car to maintain... then again, I turn my own wrenches on it.
Yea, I wouldn't have a problem doing a lot of the maintenance myself, I'm pretty handy.

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Much of the answer will depend on your personality. Are you a planner or an immediate gratification type of person? The reality is that the C Class has proven itself to generally be quite reliable. However, 1) there are cars even on this forum which have had an unreasonable amount of repair issues, so it's a risk, even if lower than on other Benzes, and 2) maintenance will be significantly more expensive than on more commonly found cars, such as Hondas, even if you do the work yourself. You still need parts.

A planner would go to a Honda dealer and find a low mileage, certified used car to his/her liking that fits the current budget and work out a deal for a service loaner so getting to school/work was never an issue if a problem did arise. Then, they would secure an education in a field which promises them a future which would allow them to buy the MB of their choosing and be able to afford it comfortably.

Good luck with your choice!
I agree with the whole planning thing as I have huge dreams of going the Ivy route and working for the FBI after law school. I'd rather just add the 7 or so thousand dollars and get a car I really want. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Cillys
Invest the money and wait until you can afford a fully loaded MB!
Easier said than done Thanks!

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
After checking out all the recent changes in BMW and Audi, still think the 2008-2010 W204 is the most gorgeous mid-size car out there. After 3 1/2 years, have never had one service issue with the C300, only oil changes and TCU software update (free).

Reliability, the BMW Xdrive will have expensive service problems soon, as it is nearing 100k miles. The better "bargain" is the C300 with only 50k, just make sure the transmission has had a full fluid change including the torque convertor. Attached are the reliability surveys, you can also go to truedelta.com and check their owners survey.
The owner said that all transmission fluids have been changed and he will provide the shop invoices for record. Thanks so much!

Sorry, should qualify previous post: the 2008 C300/350 Sport with the AMG trim package is the best looking, both inside and out. The 2007 BMW 328i, frankly the rear-end styling was a huge MISTAKE. Although the performance of the 3.0L inline 6 of the BMW is excellent, the Mercedes has both 10% more HP and torque, however the W204 is tremendously disadvantaged by the horrible 7G Tronic transmission shifting, making the 328xi a full second faster 0 - 60 MPH.

In either case, make sure the car you buy has the HK stereo with the Logic 7 surround sound system. If not, you will be VERY sorry about the stock audio systems from these two "luxury" manufacturers, as a base Hyundai has far superior sound and cabin technology.
Hm... This one doesn't have the multimedia pack so it doesn't have HK... I think I can live with it/upgrade.

It's an easy mentality to live by but living your life like that can only prevent a future.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
A C-class is not a luxury but parts are priced as if it was. If you can not do your own work, you will be hurting at $150 an hour. $17k isn't that much, but its also 70% more than the honda/toyota.

i recommend the honda/toyota. Simple, reliable, inexpensive to repair, and will give you something to reach for in college and after.
Thanks for the advice. I feel that the 70% is worth it and will pay itself off in the long run.

On the other hand, my high school vehicle was a 7.2L muscle car but for college bought one of the first BMW 2002's in the US (1968), used of course. Drove it 30k miles and modified it extensively. As for cost, "necessity is the Mother of invention", and car ownership while in school provides one with the incentive to be financially productive to support it. The more expensive the vehicle, the more resourceful one learns to be, something not taught in Business 101. Perhaps Honda/Toyota ownership engenders a pattern of behavior which is difficult to break later on.
I really like that idea. In order to be able to pay cash for one of these vehicles I have started my own small business and it's the reason I am even on this forum. It's time to make this hard work worthwhile, right?

Originally Posted by tasho3
EXACTLY! Seems like you worked hard for your money, might as well spend it on something you'll really enjoy.
Totally agree. What's a bank balance worth if you aren't enjoying life?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
A C-class is not a luxury but parts are priced as if it was.
How is a C not a Luxury car? Seems to me that it competes in the entry level luxury class...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
EIS problem should have surfaced after 5 years. Too bad about the non-HK. For about $130 you can upgrade the OEM speakers, info here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html
The C300 should be good for at least 100k miles, so figure in another 5 years you will use $7,500 of the $17.5k, which is a little over $100 per month plus maintenance. Glad you are starting with your own small business, a university degree today is not a guarantee of future stability. Besides you will be able to write off 100% of the expenses, tires, gas etc. plus amortize the purchase in 4 years, making the net cost of ownership very little.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 PM

TBD
EIS problem should have surfaced after 5 years. Too bad about the non-HK. For about $130 you can upgrade the OEM speakers, info here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html
The C300 should be good for at least 100k miles, so figure in another 5 years you will use $7,500 of the $17.5k, which is a little over $100 per month plus maintenance. Glad you are starting with your own small business, a university degree today is not a guarantee of future stability. Besides you will be able to write off 100% of the expenses, tires, gas etc. plus amortize the purchase in 4 years, making the net cost of ownership very little.
Yea, the more I think about it the more I like this option. I'll be going off to college in 2 years so I'll probably pass the car down to my father or sell it. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by MikeCeltic
Thanks. It seems that problem can cost around $2k.

If the cost of maintenance is under 1k a year I have no problem really. Thanks!

Yea, unfortunately the C300 is not AWD. Thanks!

I don't care about impressing others or the emblem on the front. I love the look and ride of the C300. I've heard otherwise with C300s maintenance. Thanks!

Haha, I always come back to wanting to get one. Thanks!

Yea, I wouldn't have a problem doing a lot of the maintenance myself, I'm pretty handy.

I agree with the whole planning thing as I have huge dreams of going the Ivy route and working for the FBI after law school. I'd rather just add the 7 or so thousand dollars and get a car I really want. Thanks for the advice!

Easier said than done Thanks!

The owner said that all transmission fluids have been changed and he will provide the shop invoices for record. Thanks so much!

Hm... This one doesn't have the multimedia pack so it doesn't have HK... I think I can live with it/upgrade.

It's an easy mentality to live by but living your life like that can only prevent a future.

Thanks for the advice. I feel that the 70% is worth it and will pay itself off in the long run.

I really like that idea. In order to be able to pay cash for one of these vehicles I have started my own small business and it's the reason I am even on this forum. It's time to make this hard work worthwhile, right?

then get a bus pass............
Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Gotta love the usual "Don't get MB or BMW as your first car. Get a Toyota/Honda or what ever so-called Asian car, they are much better for that.".

IMO, get what ever you feel comfortable with. Just do your research before buying one. And when looking at the car, make sure you check it out properly and if you are not comfortable with everything, spending a couple of hundred bucks on a pre-purchase inspection is money well spent. Never trust 100% what the seller tells you.

A 2009 C300 with 50K miles should easily have another 100K ahead of it without any major issues. Even though there are some people who have had issues, these things have proven to be quite reliable.

One thing you also might want to look into also is the cost of insurance. If you are not listed in your parents' policy, especially the comprehensive part could get expensive. Getting one for such a new car would definitely be recommended.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
How is a C not a Luxury car? Seems to me that it competes in the entry level luxury class...
well, lets see.

It doesn't have much space, it rides hard, it has a rock hard plastic interior, most come equipped with vinyl seats, most luxury features are optional, and power is merely adequate.

we seemingly have different definitions of luxury.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
then get a bus pass............
What the hell have you offered to this thread? Be helpful or just read...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by MikeCeltic

How is a used entry level mercedes going to pay itself off in the long run? Its a car, it depreciates, requires repair, and parts/labor are expensive. its not going to pay anything off.

Rewarding yourself for hardwork is great. Then again, at 17, it seems more like entitlement.

A bank balance is security. Like most people your age, you seem to not realize that based on averages, your life will in fact be very long. Who is paying for your school tuition? Your housing? Food? Insurance?

You can either splurge on slightly nicer car and not take advantage of the compound interest and investment potential of that $7,000 (not to mention repairs/parts/maintenance) or buy a run of the mill honda that will require very little and put that $7,000 into your small business.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Car: Smartest decision?