C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is MB CPO worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Is MB CPO worth it?

I hope this is in the right forum... I'm a newbie.

Debating on two C350 models right now. Hoping you guys can help me decide.

First one is a 2008 with 57k miles on it. Basically has everything. Top nav/multimedia package, HID lights, rear sun shade, AMG wheels, etc. (I don't know the exact package names but pretty sure it has everything you can get on it). This one does NOT have any warranty at all with it (private seller).

The other one is a 2009 with 35k miles on it. Doesn't have the good multimedia system but has a basic nav system. Doesn't have HID lights or the rear sunscreen. This one is at the MB dealer so it has the CPO inspection or whatever and comes with a 1 year warranty. It is $4700 more though.

So... question is. Is a car 1 year newer, with 20k less miles, and a CPO warranty worth $4700 more even though it doesn't have as many options?

Personally I'm leaning towards the non-CPO car just because it has all the options and is a lot less. Are there any major things that go wrong around 60k miles? Any reason for me to definitely get a warranty?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
I would probably test drive them first. Lower miles is always better and warranty is a plus. The nav and multimedia can be retrofitted.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Take the 09. There seems to be anecdotal data that in the second year in the US (09), the car was improved, chassis recalibrated, and there have been fewer failures on some components. That, plus the coverage and mileage make this a better long-term value.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300
Maybe take Sportstick advice, and read up on 2008 models to see if the issues are enough o deter you from buying it. I kinda had the same delimma. Buy a 2010 CPO with 25k miles with pkg 1 option or a non cpo one with a lot more options (pkg 1, 2, Multimedia, dynamic passenger side mirror) but with 46k miles. I opted for the more package and I love all the extra options. It was $1000 more than the CPO one but it feels like I'm driving a luxury car and not just the brand. Few options I love: HID, back up camera, split folding rear seats, heated seats, memory seats, steering wheel moves up when I turn off the car so it's not in the way much, passenger mirror tilts down when in reverse so I can see the curb better.

I also purchase a 3rd party extended warranty (www.route66warranty.com) for $2300 that added 5yrs/50k miles.

If you go for the non cpo, make sure it was taken care off. Carfax will usually show if they brought it to the dealer for regular maintenance.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM

C350
Yeah, I'm leaning towards going with the non CPO one and just add a warranty. The CPO one doesn't feel like a "true" Mercedes to me since it basically has no more options than a standard Honda would have. I want all the toys in mine
Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBShadow
Yeah, I'm leaning towards going with the non CPO one and just add a warranty. The CPO one doesn't feel like a "true" Mercedes to me since it basically has no more options than a standard Honda would have. I want all the toys in mine
As you wish. But, I still would advise getting the owners to call the servicing dealer to let them release all the records, unless they kept copies. Check for the proper intervals on A and B services and especially look for the transmission fluid service at 39,000 miles. I don't have much experience with aftermarket warranties, but might want to put some of the savings aside and "self-insure" in case you have trouble getting coverage on some parts....everything is expensive on the MBs. Also, at this mileage, consider the need for brakes, tires, struts...may want to take the car to the dealer and let them do a "once over" to give you a report on its mechanical condition. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM

C350
If all things were equal, same exact car with same mileage and same price, would you prefer a CPO car with only a 1 year MB warranty, or a non-CPO car with a 6 year non-MB warranty? I know the MB warranty is going to be much better, but after that first year you are basically depending on the CPO inspection to have made sure nothing major is wrong. At least with the non-CPO car I would have longer general warranty coverage even though it did not go through the CPO inspection.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBShadow
If all things were equal, same exact car with same mileage and same price, would you prefer a CPO car with only a 1 year MB warranty, or a non-CPO car with a 6 year non-MB warranty? I know the MB warranty is going to be much better, but after that first year you are basically depending on the CPO inspection to have made sure nothing major is wrong. At least with the non-CPO car I would have longer general warranty coverage even though it did not go through the CPO inspection.
Interesting question, and the premise of a 5 year difference is quite compelling. Some thoughts....
  • Read an article a while back in Automotive News about how MB has upgraded its CPO program with more intense vehicle renovation prior to resale. They go through and (are supposed to) deal with wear and tear items as well as ensuring the health of the car. The dealer's motivation is that they get paid for the work, and the benefit is that MB found they got higher prices for cars in such good condition.
  • One year of a well supported warranty may have disproportionate value compared to 6 years of a warranty where payoffs are delayed or denied. There are horror stories about some warranty companies, so caveat emptor.
  • If you found the non-CPO car had historically low repair needs and by-the-book maintenance, that could change the equation quite a bit. So, the best alternative in this hypothetical may be a thorough examination by a MB dealer of the car, research of complete service records, and a highly recommended aftermarket warranty company that includes coverage for complete powertrain, the price-killer for repairs.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
This is a very open ended question. I guess the answer is "it's all relative" since the perception of value is different for everyone.

For example, your choices does not include buying new; however to some, buying new is the only option.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM

C350
True. For me buying new is out of the question as I can get a much more "loaded" car for less money than a new "base" car would cost.

If anything I would compare against leasing a comparably equipped new model that would include the same new car warranty.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
I am looking into a CPO 2010 E350 and was wondering whether it would be worth it to have the car inspected by either another MB dealership or a third party company. Is it common practice?

I have read a few "horror" stories about buying CPO and that it isn't all that MB marketing makes it out to be.