C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Six Month review - C250 (U.S. spec)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Smile Six Month review - C250 (U.S. spec)

I've had the 2013 C250 (M271 Evo with 7G Plus) for over six months now. So far, so good.

It was delivered with crappy wiper blades (leaving blade material at top of windshield). Dealer replaced in 5 minutes, no appt, no questions asked.

I blew a fuse in the front cigarette lighter by plugging in an air compressor. Dealer fixed in three minutes, again no appt, just drove in. They didn't even write up the car. Technician said he see that with "questionable" phone chargers and other accessories. I plugged the compressor into rear plug (I really needed it) and it worked fine, no fuses blown. The fuse was in the trunk.

It has pretty amazing high-speed passing power. 70-105mph happens in very short order. Not proud of that, but nice to know

I find that I keep the 7 Plus transmission in Eco on the highway (even for passing) but prefer Sport mode in urban driving. Hope the 7G Plus doesn't really mind starting off in 1st gear on my commute to work.

Really nothing else to say. Quiet, economical, fast, and SMOOTH (have luxury version).
Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I'm at 3 months and I agree with you. I don't ever really put mine in sport mode though because I feel Eco works fine for normal driving. Mine came with crappy wiper blades also but haven't got around to getting them changed.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I'm at 15 months and can't agree more. I've had some teething problems with the car, but at the end of the day it is worth it more every mile I drive.
  • Backup Camera intermittenly working - took 2 visits to trace it to a bad plug in the trunk wiring harness
  • Consistent shift flare on the first shift after the car is parked for more than 4 hours (was supposed to get this looked at yesterday)
  • My kickdown switch is currently inoperative, was supposed to get this looked at yesterday but had to cancel the appt.
  • 2 weeks ago had a loss of power incident with an SES light. It was traced to a badly gapped spark plug (from the factory) on #4 as well as a loose coil on the #4 cylinder.

Over my last 3 tanks, I have managed to average 31.8 MPG without really trying - it's been 95% highway driving, but I am beyond thrilled at how well it is doing.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Coupe
+1 on faulty wiper blades. Mine makes a sound and almost feels like they're going to get "stuck" on its way back from wiping the windshield.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
IMO, the wipers in this car are probably one of the worst parts of it. They streak and don't clean well, regardless of blade age. The washers with the fan spray are also useless, pissing out a stream unworthy of a Geo Metro. It's especially irritating because wipers are the one thing MB always seemed to put extra detail into (Non synchronized wipers on the w126 chassis, The Monowiper on multiple chassis, the reverse park and articulated wipers on the w140, even the detent stop and articulated passenger wiper on our w204s).

Ironically, my smart had the best wipers I have ever encountered on a car. They could handle whatever got thrown at the car, regardless of if you were going 20 or 90, the rain sensor was much more precise than my w204. In addition, the washers were a powerful stream that got the job done at any speed.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM

2012 C350
I've had my C350 about 10 weeks now. The issue I have with the wipers is there is no courtesy wipe. And it seems like the washer solution in the system is kind of foamy that no matter how many times I rewipe I always get some left over spots on the windshield.

I also leave my car in Eco mode most of the time as that is more than adequate. Plus I think it makes it a little harder to push on the pedal so it is probably keeping me out of jail. I am averaging about 26 mpg with about 50% highway.

My biggest grip is with the Start/Stop. When I think it should be on, it isn't and when I want it off it is on. It will be 70 degrees and beutiful in the morning and it won't shut off the engine. But in the evening it will be 95 with the A/C full blast, and then it will turn off, which then turns off the A/C.

Overall though, I am much happier than I was in my 2011 Fusion SEL.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by fordracefan
The issue I have with the wipers is there is no courtesy wipe.
There is a courtesy wipe feature. The same button you use to trigger the washer is what you use to trigger the courtesy wipe. Push it in to the first detent and you will get a single wipe - push harder and you get fluid.

It's a lot easier to do on the 2012s as they were the last year before Mercedes *******ized the turn signal and cruise stalks, but that's another story.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM

2013 C250 Sport
My biggest grip with the new c250 is the lack of aftermarket. Just doesn't seem to be the mercedes culture.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by fireline43
My biggest grip with the new c250 is the lack of aftermarket. Just doesn't seem to be the mercedes culture.
With all due respect to each member here and their preferences, if one took the first few reviews and dropped them into an Accord or Camry V6 forum, they would seem to fit perfectly. Yes, the cars are comfortable, pleasant, well-built, solid, and respond well. I'm not sure where the Mercedes brand is moving toward, but it does seem clear they are moving away from enthusiasm/excitement/enjoyment of driving, per se, and ceding that territory to BMW/Audi.....unless one springs for an AMG. From what I am reading, the new MQB platform VW GTI/GLI will be more fun/entertaining to drive than what MB is doing.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:29 PM

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
With all due respect to each member here and their preferences, if one took the first few reviews and dropped them into an Accord or Camry V6 forum, they would seem to fit perfectly. Yes, the cars are comfortable, pleasant, well-built, solid, and respond well. I'm not sure where the Mercedes brand is moving toward, but it does seem clear they are moving away from enthusiasm/excitement/enjoyment of driving, per se, and ceding that territory to BMW/Audi.....unless one springs for an AMG. From what I am reading, the new MQB platform VW GTI/GLI will be more fun/entertaining to drive than what MB is doing.
I don't agree there. I find the c250 to be fun to drive. I liked it's driving feel more then the 328i. Feels nimble and precise and the engine responds well. You need to get in a GLI and drive it before you say that. It's a fun sporty car yes, but the c250 is pretty much that but smoother and more luxury. Audi isnt a big step up over VW also.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 PM

2013 C250 Sport
The question is also what makes a car fun to drive to you?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I don't agree there. I find the c250 to be fun to drive. I liked it's driving feel more then the 328i. Feels nimble and precise and the engine responds well. You need to get in a GLI and drive it before you say that. It's a fun sporty car yes, but the c250 is pretty much that but smoother and more luxury. Audi isnt a big step up over VW also.

I appreciate and respect your opinion. I think we are just calibrated differently. For example, I'm at one end with a manual trans, and you are at the other with preferring the Eco mode over the Sport mode for your automatic transmission. Doing back to back comparisons with my son's new 6 speed 328i, I reached the opposite conclusion from yours.

My GLI references were to the new MQB platform, currently reviewed only in GTI form....it's not on sale yet. Neither opinion is better or right/wrong, but it does reflect who MB is satisfying better than others. My 09 has been an excellent and reliable car, but it's become more entertaining only after suspension modifications to stiffen it up to improve steering response and reduce roll. The newer loaners I've driven are, pardon me, dull. Next time, I want the fun built-in by design. I'm probably the one who walked in the wrong door. Glad you guys are pleased (except for wipers). Best wishes with your cars!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The question is also what makes a car fun to drive to you?
Good point! It does vary by person......excellent steering feel feedback with well weighted efforts. Razor sharp and fast steering response to inputs, with high roll resistance in transitions. Compliant suspension with rigid body for isolation of road irregularities. Strong and smooth/refined, but not overwhelming power needed, BUT, a nice flat torque curve across the range for a good continuous pull....no peaky torque curves, please! Any dead spots trying to get off the line is a "non-starter"....(pardon the pun!) Slick, short-throw gearshift with smooth clutch engagement....not grabby. Brakes like dropping an anchor.

Give me all that, and I can accept a wide range of exterior/interior designs without complaint and I'm not that concerned about most folks' concept of "luxury".
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I appreciate and respect your opinion. I think we are just calibrated differently. For example, I'm at one end with a manual trans, and you are at the other with preferring the Eco mode over the Sport mode for your automatic transmission. Doing back to back comparisons with my son's new 6 speed 328i, I reached the opposite conclusion from yours.

My GLI references were to the new MQB platform, currently reviewed only in GTI form....it's not on sale yet. Neither opinion is better or right/wrong, but it does reflect who MB is satisfying better than others. My 09 has been an excellent and reliable car, but it's become more entertaining only after suspension modifications to stiffen it up to improve steering response and reduce roll. The newer loaners I've driven are, pardon me, dull. Next time, I want the fun built-in by design. I'm probably the one who walked in the wrong door. Glad you guys are pleased (except for wipers). Best wishes with your cars!

Haha yea i get you there with your points on both posts. Is your sons 328i a pre 2012 without the turbo 4? I base my opinion on new for new. If you want to go e9x bmw, yes I would choose that over benz during those years. Bmw's new f30 is pretty massive feeling. I don't get the reviews saying it feels nimble because I didn't get that feel at all from the various loaners I had when owning my bmw. I just didn't get a good driving feel from the new bmw. Also, I feel manual enthusiasts are going to have a rough couple years coming up since most luxury brands are dropping manuals. BMW says it will stick with it in M models. But it seems manual is more looked at as a lower car bracket thing now. Like getting the scion fr-s or a mustang.

As for vw, we've owned 2 so far. 2009 jetta and now a 2013 tiguan. I test drove the gli a couple times wanting to like it. The tiguan has the same engine as the gti and based off the same chassis also. It is a nice car don't get me wrong, but like you said you went into the wrong door i feel. For one the FWD on those cars hurts the handling. You def feel it on turns with the front being heavy. It's also like I said not luxurous at all. The seats are bland, the interior is bland, the dashboard seems far away from you as a driver. I felt that it was very young feeling also. And when I see a GLI on the road its almost always a young kid. My wife wants to go to a mercedes glk next. She only got her tiguan because it was cheap i will say that. She doesn't care about performance except brakes.

You being very performance focused though, I think you need to be more in something like that scion fr-s. I mean unless your a 4-door guy. Then I would go with a suburu wrx or the ford focus st. That's if I was shopping sub 30k. Out of the luxury cars, you would have to say bmw is the sportiest, but let me tell you they are having that same conversation over there about the new 3 series over the older ones. The difference with bmw is they made a new model with the new engine.

Last edited by fireline43; 06-26-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM

2013 C250 Sport
I will say also I have more fun driving the c250 over my 2009 bmw 335i because it isn't as fast. in all seriousness, there was no way I could use that speed on a public road and I ended up always having to hold back.The c250 I can rev that thing up on a corner and have fun without being overly dangerous. If I was tracking the car, bmw no doubt. I just think vw is a different audience, but if that's what you want then sure.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM

2011 C300 4matic sport
excellent steering feel feedback with well weighted efforts. Razor sharp and fast steering response to inputs, with high roll resistance in transitions. Compliant suspension with rigid body for isolation of road irregularities. Strong and smooth/refined, but not overwhelming power needed, BUT, a nice flat torque curve across the range for a good continuous pull....no peaky torque curves, please! Any dead spots trying to get off the line is a "non-starter"....(pardon the pun!) Slick, short-throw gearshift with smooth clutch engagement....not grabby. Brakes like dropping an anchor

Sportstick, you described a Porsche to a tee. Time to trade?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 PM

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by global33
excellent steering feel feedback with well weighted efforts. Razor sharp and fast steering response to inputs, with high roll resistance in transitions. Compliant suspension with rigid body for isolation of road irregularities. Strong and smooth/refined, but not overwhelming power needed, BUT, a nice flat torque curve across the range for a good continuous pull....no peaky torque curves, please! Any dead spots trying to get off the line is a "non-starter"....(pardon the pun!) Slick, short-throw gearshift with smooth clutch engagement....not grabby. Brakes like dropping an anchor

Lol I was kind of thinking that also. Very performance oriented for the type of car he chose.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by global33

Funny you should mention that.....I've been looking at their website and ads lately!

As for BMW, next year's 2 Series seems to hold promise....uses last gen 3 series platform, which is under the very nice X1 (if one wanted a higher roll center, which I do not).
Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
I have to say....I LOVE the wipers on the car. It's just that the ones from the factory were crap. The MB replacements are excellent. I really think the original wipers were just from a faulty batch. Black rubber literally appears on my windshield from them. New ones are great.

The C250 isn't a sports sedan, to me. It's a small luxury sedan (or near luxury, depending on equipment levels). The fact that it can hang with the sport sedans of the segment with no shame is just icing on the cake.

Don't forget, it's as fast or faster through the slalom than anything else it competes with, and ditto for top gear passing numbers. It just FEELS different doing it (better, for my commuting purposes).
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM

2012 C350
Just because I enjoy Eco mode and an automatic, does not mean I do not enjoy driving. I came from a perfectly fine Ford Fusion. It drove fine, but there was no passion in the car. I drive about 70 highway miles a day. And Eco mode is perfect for cruising on the highway or being stuck in traffic. I still enjoy the tight steering and handling during these times. And you can feel and enjoy the difference in the C350 when compared to an automotive refrigerator.

Now on the weekends, I can take my kids and enjoy some of the local country roads in sport mode. Something I would never consider in the Fusion. I test drove both the A4 and the 328 before deciding on the C350. I choose the MB because i enjoyed the exterior styling more than the A4 and the BMW. And when driving all of them at my comfortable and fun limits they BMW and MB were equivalent.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 PM

2012 C350
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
There is a courtesy wipe feature. The same button you use to trigger the washer is what you use to trigger the courtesy wipe. Push it in to the first detent and you will get a single wipe - push harder and you get fluid.

It's a lot easier to do on the 2012s as they were the last year before Mercedes *******ized the turn signal and cruise stalks, but that's another story.
Thanks for the reply. I did not know that. On my old Ford the courtesy wipe was automatic. How did they screw up the turn signal and cruise stalks? I find them very easy to use. I was happy when test driving my car that they put the turn signal above the cruise stalk. In previous MBs that I test drove it was the opposite, which I found very strange.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 AM

2013 C250 Sport
Just because I enjoy Eco mode and an automatic, does not mean I do not enjoy driving. I came from a perfectly fine Ford Fusion. It drove fine, but there was no passion in the car. I drive about 70 highway miles a day. And Eco mode is perfect for cruising on the highway or being stuck in traffic. I still enjoy the tight steering and handling during these times. And you can feel and enjoy the difference in the C350 when compared to an automotive refrigerator.

Now on the weekends, I can take my kids and enjoy some of the local country roads in sport mode. Something I would never consider in the Fusion. I test drove both the A4 and the 328 before deciding on the C350. I choose the MB because i enjoyed the exterior styling more than the A4 and the BMW. And when driving all of them at my comfortable and fun limits they BMW and MB were equivalent.
This is what I was trying to say also. Real world performance between the 3 brands is pretty equal with difference in suspension stiffness. Unless your driving around recklessly, I don't see how you push the car to the limits. I came from american cars before also like firebirds and mustangs. Body roll on those was huge, but I honestly never found it to be a big deal driving around. If i was to auto cross or something, then sure.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Thanks for the reply. I did not know that. On my old Ford the courtesy wipe was automatic. How did they screw up the turn signal and cruise stalks? I find them very easy to use. I was happy when test driving my car that they put the turn signal above the cruise stalk. In previous MBs that I test drove it was the opposite, which I found very strange.
The old way was the way they did it for a very long time. If you're a long-time Benz owner, it seems wrong on the 2013+.

However, I get tired of people setting the cruise control instead of using the turn signal in my 2011. I didn't mind the switch at all when I had a 2013 loaner.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
How did they screw up the turn signal and cruise stalks? I find them very easy to use. I was happy when test driving my car that they put the turn signal above the cruise stalk. In previous MBs that I test drove it was the opposite, which I found very strange.
I guess it is a matter of "it was that way for 35 years and worked, why did you need to change it" for me. I'm a bit of a traditionalist - to me the new setup feels too cramped. After about 15 minutes of driving the old setup you get used to the fact that the turn signal is so low and the cruise is so high. Every 2013 I have driven I have managed to accidentally hit the cruise almost every time I go to signal.

The old turn signal lever feels like you could break it off and use it as a weapon. The new one seems oddly flimsy to me.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
This is what I was trying to say also. Real world performance between the 3 brands is pretty equal with difference in suspension stiffness. Unless your driving around recklessly, I don't see how you push the car to the limits. I came from american cars before also like firebirds and mustangs. Body roll on those was huge, but I honestly never found it to be a big deal driving around. If i was to auto cross or something, then sure.
It's not really about being reckless...it's just a desire for a certain "feel", which I find different even between the C and the new 3 (although I agree that the new 3 is a bit bloated....the 2 should be better). And, it's not necessary to push to the limits to have the experience. For me, this is almost like food and wine...there are just certain sensory experiences which are more or less pleasing, and which some folks react to and others don't find important. If I see a traffic circle up ahead, I want that to be as much of a treat as when I order a particular favorite at a fine restaurant.

By going to Eibach antisway bars, strut tower brace, and Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, I did move the C from where it was by design intent to be more entertaining, but I still find the current 3 further ahead. The new 2 is probably high on the shopping list to undo some of the sins of the 3.

I write this with mixed emotion, as I have the best new car dealer and service department in my entire life with the current Mercedes Benz, and my car has been outstanding for quality and comfort....but, with the dropping of the manual trans at MB, I have to look elsewhere anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Six Month review - C250 (U.S. spec)