C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Front Bumper Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300
Front Bumper Questions

Hey guys,

Recently I was driving on the freeway in LA and a truck kicked up some red thing which flew across two lane and nicked the side of my car. Do you guys know how much it will cost to fix it? From what I know so far, it seems like it may be just paint damage, but I am unsure because of the white stuff(plastic maybe?) I see coming off the bumper. If it is just paint damage then I am planning to repaint the whole bumper.

Thank you for your help!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by matt_cai; 07-09-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Even if the plastic is damaged its an easy job for a good painter to fix if you are going to paint the entire bumper.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
I just got my bumper painted and it was around $500 at dealer.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I had a rear fascia plastic repair and full repaint for $370. Depending on where you are, prices can vary, but anywhere around $400 plus/minus would be reasonable for a full paint. If they just do a repair on the area and blend the paint, knock off about $75.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Mercedes C300
So would you guys recommend doing a full repaint or should i wait until college is over before i get my full repaint? And when i get my full repaint should i do it at a dealer?

Thank you for your help
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by matt_cai
So would you guys recommend doing a full repaint or should i wait until college is over before i get my full repaint? And when i get my full repaint should i do it at a dealer?

Thank you for your help
If it bothers you (I'm pretty OCD I'd get it done ASAP if it were me, but that's just my OCD), get it done soon. If it doesn't bother you, get it done after college when you have less expenses (if that's why you're asking). If you have the $$, do it at the dealer, since they WON'T mess up, and it will look just like how the car did fresh from the factory. Versus another shop like a Maaco or something being $100-200 cheaper but half-a$$ing it and it looks like crap or peels off. But if you can find a good reputable shop that will do it cheaper, yeah sure why not.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Mercedes C300
Yeah i am pretty OCD about it but i also understand that when i drive home from college there will be more rock chips. I am going into the dealer today to see how much it cost and i will report back. But I am wondering what is the white stuff that got chipped off a little?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Yeah i am pretty OCD about it but i also understand that when i drive home from college there will be more rock chips. I am going into the dealer today to see how much it cost and i will report back. But I am wondering what is the white stuff that got chipped off a little?

could you take an angled picture of the damage so I can see the damage from a side view instead of front? Depending on how little the damage is, I could probably tell you how to even touch it up on your own with the right materials if you show me a picture and the damage is what I think it is.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Mercedes C300
Sounds good! i'll have the picture up within a few hours. Thank you ilumunus!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The white stuff is the substrate from which the fascia is formed. The good news is that plastic won't rust! For a cheap eye-sore reduction, get some touch-up and dab on a few coats, after each dries. You can reduce the visual distraction until you can get it fully repaired. If money is an issue at this time of your life, this is not a good use of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Mercedes C300
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the pictures from different angles I took before getting a quote from Mercedes dealership. They quoted me for $640. One thing I still do not understand is how is the plastic fixed and doesn't the plastic erode? Money may not be the biggest issue since I am working two software internships. Anyways thank you guys for the help!

hmm it seems the quality of pictures are pretty bad, I'll probably take new ones later today.

Last edited by matt_cai; 07-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the pictures from different angles I took before getting a quote from Mercedes dealership. They quoted me for $640. One thing I still do not understand is how is the plastic fixed and doesn't the plastic erode? Money may not be the biggest issue since I am working two software internships. Anyways thank you guys for the help!

hmm it seems the quality of pictures are pretty bad, I'll probably take new ones later today.
That price is too high. Find a independent body shop which specializes in high end European cars for another quote. No, the plastic won't erode unless someone or something picks away at it. Think about why people are so concerned about plastic bottles in landfills. They just sit there forever. The fascia is repaired with sanding, filling in defects with new material, more sanding to achieve a smooth surface, priming, and painting.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300
If you're going to get it repainted make sure you get it done at a reputable shop so they do it right and so you don't have any future problems with it. My front bumper was repainted before I bought it and it doesn't match at certain angle and it bugs me a little bit. Obviously they didn't do a blend on the fender which I'm kinda glad they didnt cause it seems they either used cheap paint or didnt prep it right as its more susceptible to chipping now. If that was my car I would try the touch up paint method first.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Mercedes C300
I feel like they're charging me higher because I am a college student. But oh well... anyways I think I might get a few more quotes for other Mercedes dealers around here and I'll post back what I find in the socal area. Thanks for all the help! much appreciated!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 PM

2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
I feel like they're charging me higher because I am a college student. But oh well... anyways I think I might get a few more quotes for other Mercedes dealers around here and I'll post back what I find in the socal area. Thanks for all the help! much appreciated!
if you don't mind, what part of the US are you located in? Could help us to help you find a reputable shop for you.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Mercedes C300
I am from the orange county area in California
Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I think you're handicapping yourself financially by only asking MB dealers. Take a look at the MB dealership. Do they have a bodyshop onsite? Most don't. That means they are outsourcing the work, and then adding their margin to whatever their bodyshop vendor charges. You need to find a place like this, but near wherever you live.....

http://motorwerksgroup.com/collision...ration-center/
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Mercedes C300
Oh that is true. I am planning to get it done in the bay area after college. I am pretty sure there are plenty of good shops around there. Hopefully, I can find one around the price for $400-500 from a reputable body shop. Thank you everyone for your input!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Spot paint $150. It's in a perfect spot for it.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 AM

Mercedes C300
quick question? Even though the plastic on the bumper is chipped it can be fully repaired when I get a full repaint on the front bumper correct? I want make sure this is the correct information, so I can tell my dad. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
quick question? Even though the plastic on the bumper is chipped it can be fully repaired when I get a full repaint on the front bumper correct? I want make sure this is the correct information, so I can tell my dad. Thank you.
In the hands of a good shop, it will look like nothing ever happened. It may take more than paint. Looks like a small bit of filler and sanding will be needed, but that is a very common repair.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Mercedes C300
Ahh ok. Thanks man for the help. Even though I may be out a few hundred dollar I am glad how much help I recieved from this forum. Thank you all!