C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Replacement tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sedan
Replacement tire question

I bought a used C250 from Hertz. The front tires are 225/45R-17 91H MBZ B MICHELIN PILOT HX MXM4 . I have had the care 1 week and I got a flat. I am replacing the tire with one of the identical model. This got me thinking about what to replace all the tires with when the time comes. Are there any that are a better value than the Michelin? What about mileage warranty? Or, run flat verses regular?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM

2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
I really like the Nitto Motivo. They have a really nice treadwear warranty (60k miles), a fantastic price (~$140/each), and they're really, really quiet. I haven't had them on snow, but they're fine in rain (about average, not awesome and not crappy).

I don't know how they handle performance-wise, though.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM

09 E350 Black 06 CLS500 Alabaster White
Originally Posted by smaction
I bought a used C250 from Hertz. The front tires are 225/45R-17 91H MBZ B MICHELIN PILOT HX MXM4 . I have had the care 1 week and I got a flat. I am replacing the tire with one of the identical model. This got me thinking about what to replace all the tires with when the time comes. Are there any that are a better value than the Michelin? What about mileage warranty? Or, run flat verses regular?
Why not look for a used one it would a lot cheaper than getting a new one. Replacing it later won't make you feel so bad. Look for a used tire store and call them and see if they have one in stock. I found a set before almost new mounted and balanced for less than $200.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
This is a huge topic and you can search this W204 forum for "tire" and find much to read. No one can give you the right advice (other than what they like) without more info from you. You need to decide what are the most important characteristics and trade-offs....handling/performance, ride, quiet, durability, ability to handle light snow, wet traction, cost. Come back to us with some levels of importance for those factors and then we can make reasonable recommendations.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:21 PM

2012 C250 Sedan
Thanks for the responses. I have searched W204 for tires, but I will still post more detailed info to get better suggestions here.

Durability
Cost
Ride and Quiet
Rain is not much of a factor. We live in the desert with only 2 months that have rain and an occasional trip to the mountains.

I am considering run flat as opposed to regular tires.

TIA

Scott
Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Thanks for the responses. I have searched W204 for tires, but I will still post more detailed info to get better suggestions here.

Durability
Cost
Ride and Quiet
Rain is not much of a factor. We live in the desert with only 2 months that have rain and an occasional trip to the mountains.

I am considering run flat as opposed to regular tires.

TIA

Scott

A Grand Touring All Season category seems the best fit for your needs. Any of the top five here should be pleasing for you.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS

There are some obvious advantages to run flats.....among the downsides:

- higher cost
- noisier
- many reports of inferior handling
- 50 mile distance limit
- ability to find replacement quickly
- not repairable.....a nail = new tire

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.