C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2010 C350 New Build - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
2010 C350 New Build - Suggestions?

Hello all,
this is my first post here.
I am just starting to mod my C350 4Matic.
Was looking for suggestions!

Currently it is stock.
Calcite White,
18" AMG wheels,
Panorama roof,
fully loaded.

I was thinking about blacking out the tailights ( entire light ),
getting clear side markers on the bumper,
getting a black and chrome grill (will post link later)
blacking out all the badging on back,
changing the hood emblem to an ornament(found an ornament mounted onto an emblem which I think would be nice) and also blacking out the ornament itself.
Carbon fiber Mirror covers,
carbon fiber rear spoiler

Most importantly (in my mind)
I was looking at black & white Lexani R-Seven rims.

Here is my biggest issue:
I am thinking 19X8.5 in front with 245/35's offset 45mm
but in the rear, 19x9.5 275/30's but the max offset I can get is 45mm as well.
I was hoping to be around +50... Do you guys think the wheel will be out too far with a 45mm offset on a 9.5 rim?
I am thinking it is about 4mm to far out... Don't know how to get around this one.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
Don't black out the taillights. Looks hideous
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C250 4Matic
  • Don't black out the tail lights. Just get the 2012 replica lights that many have on here including myself.
  • Don't put an ornament on the hood.
  • Don't black out the badges, just remove them.
  • You have nice rims, drive them until you need new tires then change out rims if you still want to.
  • Do not do carbon fiber side mirrors.

Cheers,

AH
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
First things first, improve your sound!!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz c350 sport
DO LIST:
  • carbon fiber mirror covers
  • black/chrome grill
  • COILOVERS
  • nice fitted wheels one day
  • LED INTERIOR/EXTERIOR/LISCENCE
  • HID'S
  • C/f rear spoiler
  • c/f roof spoiler
  • debadge.
  • quad tips
  • xpipe
  • c/f rear diffuser.

DON'T LIST:
  • black out tail lights
  • black out badges
  • a hood emblem….unless you wanna get the luxury grill...

just a few things off top of my head hahaa
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 AM

2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by EuroJDMBenzo
DO LIST:
  • black/chrome grill
  • COILOVERS
  • HID'S
  • C/f rear spoiler
  • c/f roof spoiler
  • debadge.
  • quad tips
  • xpipe
  • c/f rear diffuser.
DON'T LIST:
  • black out tail lights
  • black out badges
+1
Old 08-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Thank you all!

I will end up taking a lot of that into consideration while completing my build...
Contrary to the popular vote, I did darken the tail lights, but not black completely, they are like a dark cherry colour and I like them...

Will post pictures later.

When it comes to sound I do have a 12 speaker factory HK upgrade..
Is there much point in going the extra mile on that one?
Will I get much better sound quality and volume range from aftermarket speakers?
And if so, which of the twelve (if not all) should I be upgrading?

Also, I was looking at this black/chrome grill,
http://www.55tech.com/collections/w2...e-style-grille
is this the best place to get it/ what other options do I have?
I like the idea of chrome on black and keeping the big chrome emblem on the grill.

I was also looking at the Carbon fiber spoiler and diffuser on
bocadesign.de
has anyone ever dealt with them?
They seem to have nice stuff but have yet to read a thread of anybody purchasing it...

ALSO!
Coilovers WHAT BRAND OPTIONS DO I HAVE/DO YOU SUGGEST?
I am picky with suspension and am trying to find ones that will fair well with the whole electronic suspension C/S thing the C350 has going on (if I'm correct).
And what are my options for the xpipe too?

I appreciate all the input by's!

Last edited by Josh.A.Hussey; 08-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
SOUND: since you have the fabulous HK Logic 7 system, the very best thing one can do is to get a 80GB or 160GB iPod Classic and load it up with Apple Lossless format tunes. The difference in clarity and dynamics, especially on the HK system, is astounding! Many say that it sounds like a completely new and different sound system.

I understand that from an iTunes account if you already paid and downloaded an MP3, you can also download the Apple Lossless version without charge (this is Apple's "keeping it in the cloud" promo).
Old 08-07-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
SOUND: since you have the fabulous HK Logic 7 system, the very best thing one can do is to get a 80GB or 160GB iPod Classic and load it up with Apple Lossless format tunes. The difference in clarity and dynamics, especially on the HK system, is astounding! Many say that it sounds like a completely new and different sound system.

I understand that from an iTunes account if you already paid and downloaded an MP3, you can also download the Apple Lossless version without charge (this is Apple's "keeping it in the cloud" promo).
There difference in quality is very noticeable even from one CD to another with MP3's versus a CD that was bought in the store.
Is it worth getting the iPod integration kit put in?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Doesn't your HK system come with a direct iPod connector and selection in your dash screen?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Doesn't your HK system come with a direct iPod connector and selection in your dash screen?
No. Not that I know of...
I have 12 Speaker Harmon Kardon system but I am equipped only with an auxiliary jack (3.5mm) I believe I have to get the iPod integration separate..
Auxiliary is not near as nice quality as the CD's or the hard drive I have in the car already.. I wonder if increasing the built in hard drive size is an option.

On the other hand, I could be blind but I really don't think I have it.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
Hello all,
this is my first post here.
I am just starting to mod my C350 4Matic.
Was looking for suggestions!

Currently it is stock.
Calcite White,
18" AMG wheels,
Panorama roof,
fully loaded.

I was thinking about blacking out the tailights ( entire light ),
getting clear side markers on the bumper,
getting a black and chrome grill (will post link later)
blacking out all the badging on back,
changing the hood emblem to an ornament(found an ornament mounted onto an emblem which I think would be nice) and also blacking out the ornament itself.
Carbon fiber Mirror covers,
carbon fiber rear spoiler

Most importantly (in my mind)
I was looking at black & white Lexani R-Seven rims.

Here is my biggest issue:
I am thinking 19X8.5 in front with 245/35's offset 45mm
but in the rear, 19x9.5 275/30's but the max offset I can get is 45mm as well.
I was hoping to be around +50... Do you guys think the wheel will be out too far with a 45mm offset on a 9.5 rim?
I am thinking it is about 4mm to far out... Don't know how to get around this one.

Thanks,
Josh
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait untill new W205, less than a year for that...

http://www.*********.com/showthread....esign-pictures

regards
Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
There is a separate manual that comes with the HK system which specifically states the connectivity to sources, and I believe a standard iPod connector (not just the minijack) is standard issue. Some leasers crap-out and ask the dealer to switch the iPod conector for a cheap-o MP3 player jack or maybe it's tucked behind the glove compartment liner. Please check.

If it turns out that you absolutely don't have iPod connectivity and on-dash-screen tune selectability, then IMO the best option is the UMI Universal Media Interface, which has tons of options including video and NAV. But first, the minijack is sonically identical to either the iPod Integration Kit or the UMI because the headunit uses the ANALOG input, not digital, as the signal source from either an iPod or MP3 player. Digital is for info only.

The lowest level option is to get a used 6th generation iPod Classic, stick in Apple Lossless tunes, and the sound quality will be identical to a full AIFF CD in the slot. Use playlists, searching for specific tunes is distracting and dangerous anyway. Why a 6th generation Classic? Has the best DAC convertors. The HK (or even Audio 20/50) headunit takes this analog signal and sends it through its own DAC convertors before processing the reconverted digital signal through its own proprietary DSP. In the Audio20 there is even access to an amazing true Parametric Equalizer through the Engineering Menu. Not part of the HK setup though.

The bass is fed via fiber optic cable to the subwoofer and the internal headunit amps are Class D - digitally fed. The whole thing is sonically transparent, and I can't hear the difference between a CD in the headunit vs. the same CD ripped Apple Lossless onto my iPod, and played back through the iPod Adaptor Kit or even just the minijack. I suspect that even CD's, tunes ripped to the HD and radio signals are all converted to analog and back to digital for processing. Tunes ripped to the HD of course are 192bit MP3's so there goes the quality. Cheaper to get an iPod than the hassle of trying to enlarge capacity of the internal HD, why bother?

Not all 2010 headunits can take the UMI, so take your VIN to the dealer and check. Get the UMI part number and cables needed for your specific VIN. Then buy it on eBay if you think you can DIY, however it is a big job. There are some good DIY UMI install threads with pictures albeit with a right-hand-drive W204. The iPod Integration Kit, only some early MY2008 cannot be retrofitted. Most dealers may have a new UMI laying around they would love to install, as the MY2013 W204 is more up-to-date connectivity-wise and are equal to a 2007 Hyundai, finally! Not the NAV though, which remains unchanged since its introduction in 2005. Lame, MB very lame.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EuroJDMBenzo
DO LIST:
  • black/chrome grill
  • COILOVERS
  • HID'S
  • C/f rear spoiler
  • c/f roof spoiler
  • debadge.
  • quad tips
  • xpipe
  • c/f rear diffuser.

DON'T LIST:
  • black out tail lights
  • black out badges

+1
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM

There is a separate manual that comes with the HK system which specifically states the connectivity to sources, and I believe a standard iPod connector (not just the minijack) is standard issue. Some leasers crap-out and ask the dealer to switch the iPod conector for a cheap-o MP3 player jack or maybe it's tucked behind the glove compartment liner. Please check.

If it turns out that you absolutely don't have iPod connectivity and on-dash-screen tune selectability, then IMO the best option is the UMI Universal Media Interface, which has tons of options including video and NAV. But first, the minijack is sonically identical to either the iPod Integration Kit or the UMI because the headunit uses the ANALOG input, not digital, as the signal source from either an iPod or MP3 player. Digital is for info only.

The lowest level option is to get a used 6th generation iPod Classic, stick in Apple Lossless tunes, and the sound quality will be identical to a full AIFF CD in the slot. Use playlists, searching for specific tunes is distracting and dangerous anyway. Why a 6th generation Classic? Has the best DAC convertors. The HK (or even Audio 20/50) headunit takes this analog signal and sends it through its own DAC convertors before processing the reconverted digital signal through its own proprietary DSP. In the Audio20 there is even access to an amazing true Parametric Equalizer through the Engineering Menu. Not part of the HK setup though.

The bass is fed via fiber optic cable to the subwoofer and the internal headunit amps are Class D - digitally fed. The whole thing is sonically transparent, and I can't hear the difference between a CD in the headunit vs. the same CD ripped Apple Lossless onto my iPod, and played back through the iPod Adaptor Kit or even just the minijack. I suspect that even CD's, tunes ripped to the HD and radio signals are all converted to analog and back to digital for processing. Tunes ripped to the HD of course are 192bit MP3's so there goes the quality. Cheaper to get an iPod than the hassle of trying to enlarge capacity of the internal HD, why bother?

Not all 2010 headunits can take the UMI, so take your VIN to the dealer and check. Get the UMI part number and cables needed for your specific VIN. Then buy it on eBay if you think you can DIY, however it is a big job. There are some good DIY UMI install threads with pictures albeit with a right-hand-drive W204. The iPod Integration Kit, only some early MY2008 cannot be retrofitted. Most dealers may have a new UMI laying around they would love to install, as the MY2013 W204 is more up-to-date connectivity-wise and are equal to a 2007 Hyundai, finally! Not the NAV though, which remains unchanged since its introduction in 2005. Lame, MB very lame.

I will check this out and post what I find.
Thank you that post is VERY detailed and informative.

On another note, I have plastidipped my grille, minus the chrome, which looks very nice IMO.
Also, I plastidipped rear badging until I go to take them off. I am debating what to do here... If I take the badging off will I need to repaint my entire trunk?
I thought I saw a picture where the Mercedes emblem on the trunk actually had three prongs which sit inside the panel making repainting necessary. If this is the case I may just take the C350 and 4Matic badging off and leave the emblem plastidipped.
It currently looks nice as is. But it may be too much with the CF spoilers and diffuser.

Any recommendations on brand of spoilers/diffusers to choose from?
Looking for quality and a nice change but I don't really want anything too drastic when it comes to the CF front lip...
Definitely want practicality on the front end.
Rear diffuser shouldn't cause too much trouble no matter what in that respect.

Also,
will the Xpipe change the sound of the car?
And performance won't change much will it?
It PURS now as it drives away... I like that.

Thank you to everyone who has provided input on this build!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
3 slant starless grille?

Blacked out taillight?