C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New tires on the front, worn tires on the rear, 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
New tires on the front, worn tires on the rear, 4matic

My front tires are fairly new but my rears are almost bald, is this something that overtime will damage my 4matic system? I am planning on getting new rears soon but then the rears will have a larger diameter than the 1 year old fronts.

I would be surprised if the Benz engineers didnt think of this and work around it, especially considering it is the norm for front and rear tires to wear at different rates.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
I am no expert on tire wear but I can't see it hurting your 4matic system as long as you're not flying around turns slamming on the brakes mid turn, moving the weight to the front, losing the rear end and causing the 4matic to kick in on your rears non-stop.

I would suggest new tires ASAP as it's never fun or SAFE to be on bald tires, but as long as your drive sensibly I would assume you will be fine...

Once again this is an ASSUMPTION.

Hopefully someone can confirm this for you.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
991 GT3, W212 E63-S 4Matic, W205 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
My front tires are fairly new but my rears are almost bald, is this something that overtime will damage my 4matic system? I am planning on getting new rears soon but then the rears will have a larger diameter than the 1 year old fronts.

I would be surprised if the Benz engineers didnt think of this and work around it, especially considering it is the norm for front and rear tires to wear at different rates.
I don't think having bald tire would do much damage to your 4matic drivetrain!
The thicker tread shouldn't be able to damage your 4matic either.
I've owned several different AWD systems from various automakers and mercedes spits they're torque 55% rear 45% front. You shouldn't be experiencing to much more wear on the rear than the front because the the power distribution is similar for both axles.
The culprit of your problem could be the brand/type of tire your driving with?