C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Comand Won't Recognize USB Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Comand Won't Recognize USB Flash Drive

I tried to load a .vcf file (per Comand Manual) of contacts on a USB thumb drive to my 2012 C350 using the USB port in the center armrest. Using both the Phone and Address menus, I tried to get it to download from the thumb drive and the thumb drive was grayed out on the menu choices. Only my iPhone showed up as active.

Any ideas or advice? The car has a USB port so why wouldn't it recognize the thumb drive?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 PM

c300
I own 2013 multimedia pkg and tried everything for usb to recognize on my car.
1. tried .mp3 to load...no luck
2. tried folder with .mp3 to load...no luck
3. tried .wav files to load...no luck
4, tried media files such as .avi, mkv, mpeg...etc...no luck
5. tried all formats of files to load through usb, no luck...it does not seem to recognize anything from usb thumb drive.

I don't know about iphone, ipad...etc IOS users, but any regular usb connection is never recognized from my car.
I ditched 2/3 of my multimedia package and just use it for usb charger for my Android phone, and use 'WAZE' for navigation. That's it. (built in navigation is just okay, not good to use).

Anyone who can guide me how to use this $2790 multimedia package properly, I'll be glad!

Overall with multimedia package, USB port in MB is pretty useless...

Last edited by jinrowang; 08-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 AM

None
Thanks for sharing your exhaustive efforts. The irony is that USB stands for universal serial port.......that is, "universal". I've really looked hard at the Comand manual and it is no help on this. I think I'll go ask the dealer. It's absurd for the car to have a USB port that it doesn't recognize. Maybe it only recognizes music files? But in the phone and address book menus, it shows the USB port as an option, although grayed out.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 PM

Mercedes e400
Proper formating is a must

To us the Mercedes USB port or SD slot for media play, the Jump drive and/or SD card needs to be properly formated. I found that I had to reformat to (MS-DOS FAT) Other formats said the drive or card was unreadable.