C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Kleeman ECU tune, 3.5L C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
Believe whatever you want. Kleeman has made no public claims, yet several of our forums members are more than happy with their M276 tune. Cory also acknowledged the issue one user was having regarding low power, and was working with the customer last I've heard.

I've contacted other tuning companies as well, the first response OE Tuning gave me was that they did not know if there was a difference between the M276 in the C300 and C350. This was a year after they began selling a tune for the M276 engine. 5 months later and they now claim there is a difference between the two vehicles, but they "Are not prepared to share any information about the M276 publicly".

The customers are speaking for themselves. The forum members reviewing this tune are not "new users", most have posts in many other topics, and even the user who claimed he only felt "a 20 hp difference" (MrMeth) later claimed that his C300 pulled on his friends E350 (same engine, M276, 306hp).

I've been following this issue for nearly a year, I've tried to be as impartial as possible and gather all the facts. Kleeman has never released any conflicting statements, and Cory has let me know on multiple occassions that his policy is to under-claim and over-deliver. It sounds like he is following his policy.

Your tinfoil hat theory is as good as any.

Last edited by JaredP; 06-18-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: c&d
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 EQS 450+ until my 580 comes in
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
This thread is full of new usernames plugging kleeman, especially when skepticism comes about. I think the m276 tune is scam on kleemans part. Niether Cory or any representative has come on here to set any claims, they're all through other users. Theres been at least one true review saying it was a 20hp gain max, which sounds reasonable considering a gain to 320hp would be very noticeable. I also think kleemans claim that they don't have access to an awd dyne is BS. Its soo easy for them to charge a boat load of cash for their copies of ecu software and claiming lofty gains on forums like this is a great catalyst for business. watch out for these guys.
I know I haven't posted much, mainly because I don't have a lot to contribute and haven't modded my car (other than the ECU and changing the door pins). I mainly benefit from other's experience (e.g., what to buy to perform a topside oil change, and that it's pretty much impossible to put a rear view camera in my 2014 with audio 20).

I'm a real customer and was skeptical before putting down a lot of money for Kleemann's ECU tune. I stand behind my prior comments on the tune. I think my car now puts out over 300 hp and the lag is markedly improved. Whether or not that's worth the high price tag is a personal decision. Before making a decision, I spoke with Brad on the phone and was impressed with his technical knowledge.

I'm kind of offended with the fake review accusation you put out.
The following users liked this post:
1BigDaddy1 (08-22-2017)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM

2012 E550 Sport Coupe, Capri Blue w/Almond Leather; 2005 Lexus IS300; 1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL
It worked for me :-)

Following instruction in this forum, I pulled my ECU in about 15-20 minutes (if I had to do it again, it would be 5 min). Sent it off via FedEx to Cory who turned it around in a day. The cost was $699 or 799 (I can't remember and it wouldn't have mattered).

Transformed the performance of my 2009 C350 Sport from a Buick to a BMW. The transformation wasn't complete until I had the dealer re-flash the TCU back to stock, so I could re-pattern it to the way I drive (my car must've been previously owned by a little old lady).

If you want a rocket, get a C63 or M3. If you just want more pep in a C300 or C350, the Kleeman ECU re-map is well worth the modest cost IMO.

PS - don't consider the job complete without re-patterning the TCU. Have the dealer take it back to stock, go to a paved untravelled road, wind it out from 0-65 mph for 50+ shifts in each of "S" and "C" modes.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tend to agree. You're charging $1300 for a tune that you can't even back up, meanwhile every other tuner hasn't given out numbers close to this. Really? they're in the tuning business, I assume they have many other contacts in the aftermarket car modification business, and none of them has access to a dyno? or is the excuse they can't find a C300 to test with? something fishy

I also think kleemans claim that they don't have access to an awd dyne is BS. Its soo easy for them to charge a boat load of cash for their copies of ecu software and claiming lofty gains on forums like this is a great catalyst for business. watch out for these guys.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Originally Posted by ikkyu2
Following instruction in this forum, I pulled my ECU in about 15-20 minutes (if I had to do it again, it would be 5 min). Sent it off via FedEx to Cory who turned it around in a day. The cost was $699 or 799 (I can't remember and it wouldn't have mattered).

Transformed the performance of my 2009 C350 Sport from a Buick to a BMW. The transformation wasn't complete until I had the dealer re-flash the TCU back to stock, so I could re-pattern it to the way I drive (my car must've been previously owned by a little old lady).

If you want a rocket, get a C63 or M3. If you just want more pep in a C300 or C350, the Kleeman ECU re-map is well worth the modest cost IMO.

PS - don't consider the job complete without re-patterning the TCU. Have the dealer take it back to stock, go to a paved untravelled road, wind it out from 0-65 mph for 50+ shifts in each of "S" and "C" modes.
Originally Posted by WhyAskWhy
I know I haven't posted much, mainly because I don't have a lot to contribute and haven't modded my car (other than the ECU and changing the door pins). I mainly benefit from other's experience (e.g., what to buy to perform a topside oil change, and that it's pretty much impossible to put a rear view camera in my 2014 with audio 20).

I'm a real customer and was skeptical before putting down a lot of money for Kleemann's ECU tune. I stand behind my prior comments on the tune. I think my car now puts out over 300 hp and the lag is markedly improved. Whether or not that's worth the high price tag is a personal decision. Before making a decision, I spoke with Brad on the phone and was impressed with his technical knowledge.

I'm kind of offended with the fake review accusation you put out.
These are some of the sketchy users I was talking about, both joined in Dec 2013 with low post counts and nothing but good to say about about Kleeman. I love how the first one gives directions on the whole procedure, he did the same thing a couple pages back in this thread. He shows his face when skepticism comes about.

Whyaskwhy have you ever owned a car with over 300hp before? How would you know for sure your car is making over 300hp? "I think my car now puts out over 300 hp" doesn't sound very reassuring. 248hp to over 300hp would be very very noticeable. Keep in mind 300hp is Audi S4 territory.

And whyaskwhy, why would you be offended by my accusations? You have nothing to lose if Kleeman's reputation is questioned? Or do you?

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 06-18-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:35 PM

2008 W204
And wasn't the original claim over 330hp for a c300 4matic? thats almost exactly Audi S4 numbers, no way

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 06-18-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
My opinion on HP numbers is put up or shut up. If you don't have dyno numbers you shouldn't be going around making claims. Butt dyno is notoriously unreliable and people who have just plunked down a grand for a tune have good motivation to convince them selves that they got their money's worth. I'm especially skeptical when you claim large gains off a tune on a non-turbo car.

Edit: If nothing else some time slips pre and post tune would give some data points to estimate HP gain and that's something anyone can do.

Last edited by TheRulesLawyer; 06-18-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
These are some of the sketchy users I was talking about, both joined in Dec 2013 with low post counts and nothing but good to say about about Kleeman. I love how the first one gives directions on the whole procedure, he did the same thing a couple pages back in this thread. He shows his face when skepticism comes about.

Whyaskwhy have you ever owned a car with over 300hp before? How would you know for sure your car is making over 300hp? "I think my car now puts out over 300 hp" doesn't sound very reassuring. 248hp to over 300hp would be very very noticeable. Keep in mind 300hp is Audi S4 territory.

And whyaskwhy, why would you be offended by my accusations? You have nothing to lose if Kleeman's reputation is questioned? Or do you?
I've sat in a tuned c300 with kleeman tune and I don't think the Kleeman tune made the c300 faster than a stock c350, or at least my c350 with intake and exhaust. Also, even with a de-tuned m276 engine in the c300, I seriously doubt that just because your using the same tune for a c350, that with tune a c300 is going to gain 60hp+ from stock 258hp+ to 320hp+ (which is c350 with same tune). There has to be other limitations that MB did to the m276 besides wide open throttle adjustment and retarding the timing to the c300.

I doubt that the tune is even giving the c300 + 42hp to even out with the stock c350 at 306hp. I am about to buy the OE tune for my c350 which they advertise at 24hp+ and 25tq+ which should net 326hp and 298tq. I will ask my friend with kleemann tune to do a friendly comparison with me. I seriously doubt his kleeman tuned c300 will compare with my OE tuned c350. If the m276 tuned c300 is really putting down c350 power or better than c350 stock numbers; then everyone should buy a c300 and order a c350 tune.

Last edited by DameMD; 06-18-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM

2014 E63 AMG S

It's hard to take you serious when you can't construct a post that doesn't make you sound like a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist. I am starting to doubt you are even reading these posts, because the post you quoted from ikkyu2 isn't even regarding a tune for the M276 engine, he is discussing a tune for his 3.5L M272.

You don't need a high post count or an old account to be credible. The vast majority of users (99%) use forums as an information resource, and do not post regularly. It does not mean they are not credible when they decide to share their experience with others.

As far as Kleeman's reputation goes, I'm pretty certain they are not very concerned about it being tarnished. They have been tuning Mercedes exclusively for 25+ years. No other tuner has that kind of experience or expertise with Mercedes.

I would like to see Dyno results as well, and find it odd that no company has released official numbers. Until they are released, all we have is customer testimonials, which Kleeman has no reason to fabricate.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by DameMD
I've sat in a tuned c300 with kleeman tune and I don't think the Kleeman tune made the c300 faster than a stock c350, or at least my c350 with intake and exhaust. Also, even with a de-tuned m276 engine in the c300, I seriously doubt that just because your using the same tune for a c350, that with tune a c300 is going to gain 60hp+ from stock 258hp+ to 320hp+ (which is c350 with same tune). There has to be other limitations that MB did to the m276 besides wide open throttle adjustment and retarding the timing to the c300.

I doubt that the tune is even giving the c300 + 42hp to even out with the stock c350 at 306hp. I am about to buy the OE tune for my c350 which they advertise at 24hp+ and 25tq+ which should net 326hp and 298tq. I will ask my friend with kleemann tune to do a friendly comparison with me. I seriously doubt his kleeman tuned c300 will compare with my OE tuned c350. If the m276 tuned c300 is really putting down c350 power or better than c350 stock numbers; then everyone should buy a c300 and order a c350 tune.
I'd be very interested in this. If you friend is driving a 2013+ C300 with the Kleeman tune, it could really dispel a lot of the rumors. Please try this out before and after you OE tune your C350, take videos if possible. What intake are you using? I wasn't aware of a commercially available intake for the M276.

Last edited by JaredP; 06-18-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:01 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by JaredP
I'd be very interested in this. If you friend is driving a 2013+ C300 with the Kleeman tune, it could really dispel a lot of the rumors. Please try this out before and after you OE tune your C350, take videos if possible. What intake are you using? I wasn't aware of a commercially available intake for the M276.
I will... It's my sales guy from MB. He bought the C300 for his wife and has done a few modifications to it. Next time I am out his way or if he drives his wife's car to the dealership, we will find an open stretch of road that we can safely test out our cars.

Last edited by DameMD; 06-18-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:16 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
My opinion on HP numbers is put up or shut up. If you don't have dyno numbers you shouldn't be going around making claims. Butt dyno is notoriously unreliable and people who have just plunked down a grand for a tune have good motivation to convince them selves that they got their money's worth. I'm especially skeptical when you claim large gains off a tune on a non-turbo car.

Edit: If nothing else some time slips pre and post tune would give some data points to estimate HP gain and that's something anyone can do.
Kleeman hasn't made any public claims. Everything has been through their customers testimonials

The circumstances surrounding this engine are obviously different. Same model engine, same displacement, same exhaust, same intake, yet 58hp difference between the C300 and C350? I would be skeptical if someone told me he tuned his N/A 4banger prius from 200 to 258hp, but this is very different.

Last edited by JaredP; 06-18-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:23 PM

2008 W204
It's hard to take you serious when you can't construct a post that doesn't make you sound like a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist. I am starting to doubt you are even reading these posts, because the post you quoted from ikkyu2 isn't even regarding a tune for the M276 engine, he is discussing a tune for his 3.5L M272.

You don't need a high post count or an old account to be credible. The vast majority of users (99%) use forums as an information resource, and do not post regularly. It does not mean they are not credible when they decide to share their experience with others.

As far as Kleeman's reputation goes, I'm pretty certain they are not very concerned about it being tarnished. They have been tuning Mercedes exclusively for 25+ years. No other tuner has that kind of experience or expertise with Mercedes.

I would like to see Dyno results as well, and find it odd that no company has released official numbers. Until they are released, all we have is customer testimonials, which Kleeman has no reason to fabricate.
I don't care how I sound, I'd like to know the truth and there is nothing in this thread that actually proves it. If I could get 330hp out of a 2013 C300 4matic, I will buy one tomorrow.

I was aware that he was discussing the m272 3.5, I never said anything on the contrary so I don't see how your point even matters. All it means is he wasn't here to discuss the 3.5 276, but just to endorse Kleeman, which he's already done in the same thread 5 pages back right after some skeptical posts

compare this to the post above:
Thumbs up Kleemann ECU Re-mapping - 2 thumbs up!!
After searching this forum, Renntech and Kleemann seemed to be the most common positively reviewed tunes. With the former at $1,295 and latter at $795, I went with Kleemann for my 2009 C350 Sport.

One Kleemann dealer quoted me $1,195 and another $795 plus $95 labor, both plus 10% tax. I called Cory and found you didn't have to go through a dealer.

I found easy instructions on this forum for removing the airbox and pulling the ECU (a 15 minute job for a first-timer). I overnighted it to Kleemann in Colorado Springs. They shipped it back the same day. I put it back in (now a 5 minute job).

The car fired right up and all I can say is it was totally the right thing to do and worth the time and cost. Throttle lag is gone, when you punch it it really takes off and responds well at low speed or freeway and climbs to 6,000 rpm effortlessly.

I'm not interested in a street racer, just a high-performing sedan and the Kleemann ECU re-mapping was just the ticket. I am a happy camper.

BTW, if Mercedes should have a SW upgrade for the ECU and the re-map is over-written, Cory said they would do a re-map for the upgrade for $150. And if you ever want to return it to stock (though I can't understand why anyone would), they save the original ECU file and can restore it.
It seems like the prices and selling points are coming right from Kleeman themselves. 2 out of his 7 total posts are in this particular thread plugging Kleeman

Yes, I agree, Kleeman is a credible german tuning company thats been around for 25+ years. However, I am wary of the USA intermediaries who've made lofty, hard-to-believe claims not directly, but through emails posted by random users. Its been a year since these claims were made and we still have absolutely no reliable evidence that Kleeman can make a 13+ c300 4matic more powerful than a C350. There are also no other tuning companies that make an even comparable claim.

A tune that actually gets 330+ out of a c300 4matic would be a hot item, and Kleeman USA would see that potential. If they actually saw that potential not only would they post here themselves, but probably easily seek out an AWD dyno, test it out and have evidence to back it up.

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 06-18-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:24 PM

X3 M40i
What intake are you using? I wasn't aware of a commercially available intake for the M276.
Nice catch. I am thinking I still had my c250 with bms intake. I have a BMC air filter in my c350. No intake.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM

2008 W204
After searching this forum, Renntech and Kleemann seemed to be the most common positively reviewed tunes. With the former at $1,295 and latter at $795, I went with Kleemann for my 2009 C350 Sport.

One Kleemann dealer quoted me $1,195 and another $795 plus $95 labor, both plus 10% tax. I called Cory and found you didn't have to go through a dealer.
The cost was $699 or 799 (I can't remember and it wouldn't have mattered).

He doesn't remember very well at all...

And look how much cheaper Kleeman is than Renntech!!

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 06-18-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by DameMD
Next time I am out his way or if he drives his wife's car to the dealership, we will find an open stretch of road that we can safely test out our cars.
I'd be interested in this as well. A few key notes however....
Even *IF* the C300 produces the same HP as the C350 you still have to account for the weight and drive train loss of the 4Matic.

From a dig, the AWD-300 will have an advantage, but the faster your rolling start becomes (example freeway), the RWD-350 should get farther and farther away.

On a side note...
...I would be skeptical if someone told me he tuned his N/A 4banger prius from 200 to 258hp, but this is very different.
I would be too since a Prius makes well under 200 HP (I should know...I have one...well a Lexus version of it anyways).

Last edited by edgalang; 06-18-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM

2008 W204
Here is Renntech's tune for the 2013 C300:

C 300 BlueEFFICIENCY (W204) Stock Performance:
248 HP; 251 LB-FT

Modified Performance:
254 HP; 263 LB-FT

Gains:
+6 HP & +12 TQ

Price: $995

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/1148

Why can't they get 330hp???
Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 4matic
$1k for 6hp!??!?!?!! damn.....
Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
I don't care how I sound, I'd like to know the truth and there is nothing in this thread that actually proves it. If I could get 330hp out of a 2013 C300 4matic, I will buy one tomorrow.

I was aware that he was discussing the m272 3.5, I never said anything on the contrary so I don't see how your point even matters. All it means is he wasn't here to discuss the 3.5 276, but just to endorse Kleeman, which he's already done in the same thread 5 pages back right after some skeptical posts

compare this to the post above:

It seems like the prices and selling points are coming right from Kleeman themselves. 2 out of his 7 total posts are in this particular thread plugging Kleeman

Yes, I agree, Kleeman is a credible german tuning company thats been around for 25+ years. However, I am wary of the USA intermediaries who've made lofty, hard-to-believe claims not directly, but through emails posted by random users. Its been a year since these claims were made and we still have absolutely no reliable evidence that Kleeman can make a 13+ c300 4matic more powerful than a C350. There are also no other tuning companies that make an even comparable claim.

A tune that actually gets 330+ out of a c300 4matic would be a hot item, and Kleeman USA would see that potential. If they actually saw that potential not only would they post here themselves, but probably easily seek out an AWD dyno, test it out and have evidence to back it up.
He doesn't remember very well at all...

And look how much cheaper Kleeman is than Renntech!!
This isn't getting you anywhere.

If we're in the business of making baseless, tinfoil hat claims, I've got an equally valid one: Mercedes is paying off tuning companies to produce low gain tunes, in order to maintain an artificial difference between the engine in their C300 and C350 trim. Equally valid, equally baseless, equally BS.

Here is Renntech's tune for the 2013 C300:

C 300 BlueEFFICIENCY (W204) Stock Performance:
248 HP; 251 LB-FT

Modified Performance:
254 HP; 263 LB-FT

Gains:
+6 HP & +12 TQ

Price: $995

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/1148

Why can't they get 330hp???
Why doesn't Eurocharged have an M276 tune?
Why is this tune 4x as potent as the Renntech tune?

Who knows. Maybe because these companies have different knowledge of the engine, and different tuning capabilities as a result.

I'm waiting for facts. So far there have been very few, I have none of these engine tunes for that reason.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 PM

2008 W204
Mercedes is paying off tuning companies to produce low gain tunes, in order to maintain an artificial difference between the engine in their C300 and C350 trim. Equally valid, equally baseless, equally BS.
That is much more far-fetched than a tuning intermediary pumping up their numbers to make more sales.

Otherwise we shall wait and see...

There should be a statute of limitations for how long they have to post credible evidence or come clean...

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 06-18-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
I'm waiting for facts. So far there have been very few, I have none of these engine tunes for that reason.
This is hilarious since you seem to be the #1 cheerleader for kleenman in the absence of any proof of gains.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
This is hilarious since you seem to be the #1 cheerleader for kleenman in the absence of any proof of gains.
Very true, he's been here in this thread since the beginning promoting it. Probably one of the 6 puppet usernames used by Kleeman..
Old 06-18-2014, 05:22 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
Very true, he's been here in this thread since the beginning promoting it. Probably one of the 6 puppet usernames used by Kleeman..
This is getting ridiculous.

I've been interested in the tuning capabilities of the M276 LONG before this thread, and long before anyone knew that kleeman was claiming they tune C300s to C350 power.

I made this topic 4 months before this Kleeman thread was posted:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post5888792

Which you, WhyAskWhy, and OE tuning all responded to.

I also made posts in this topic 2 months before this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...4-matic-2.html

Of course, I will admit to being excited by the notion that I can get C350 power from my C300, but I have remained skeptical, waiting for confirmation and facts.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 PM

2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Wonder if there's been any updates at all from kleeman
Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
any updates?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Kleeman ECU tune, 3.5L C300