C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

iPod Cable in '08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
iPod Cable in '08

Hey ya,

Okay so I took my car in to have the stereo system looked at. My complaint was that the iPod cable did not work. The car came back and they told me that it does work and even has power going to when they tested it.

I have an iPhone 5 which has a Lightning adapter opposed to the old 30-pin adapter. Now I asked people here and they said that using an adapter worked for some of them.

I just got my car back and purchased the adapter to test it out. But I don't really even know where to look it on the NAV -___-"

What do you guys who have this working do to play from your ipod/iphone? I tried hitting the play button on my iphone(connected to adapter) but it wouldn't let me. It would weirdly flicker back to play instead of playing the song and displaying the pause button like usually. So I figured it was connected?

So my question is how do you play the music from your phone/ipod?
When I hit the changer button all that appears is CD1-6, HDD, and Memory Card.. no ipod option..

Also if it's due to the adapter.. I might just have to buy a separate ipod (30-pin) and keep it in the glove box. What ipods do you recommend will work best with the cars ipod cable(30-pin. Like do only certain years with it or certain models?

Thanks! I just cant keep making new CD's every day now..
Old 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Im just about ready to take a sledge hammer and drive it through this garbage multimedia package. All I want is an effective way to play music other than CD's. I just cant be making a new cd everyday now.

What really annoys me the most is that all the tools are there..

- Bluetooth
- iPod cord
- Memory card reader

Yet I cant play music from any of those.

- Memory Card reader.
I purchased this adapter.

Amazon.com: SD HC Card Adapter Converter for Mercedes Benz PCMCIA Command System UP 16, 8, 4, 2, 32 GB: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: SD HC Card Adapter Converter for Mercedes Benz PCMCIA Command System UP 16, 8, 4, 2, 32 GB: Computers & Accessories

I also purchased several SD cards. First a 16gb 45mbs, then 8gb standard, then finally after being told it can only hold 2gb (FAT32 format), i bought a 2gb one. None of which worked. It tells me there are no files. And yes they are MP3 format.

- iPod
See above post.

- Bluetooth
Honestly, what a waste. Bluetooth in the car and it can only be used to make calls. No contact information, no music, just calls.

NOTHING WORKS!! Any help here guys?

Last edited by Flawed; 09-15-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
its terrible i know...i have an 08 as well..

I have an old ipod touch hooked up to the ipod connect, I also ran a wire from the hidden aux to my glove box just in case...

another option is to try to buy a 30pin bluetooth audio adaptor which will hook up to your current ipod cable and allow you to play bluetooth audio through your current device.

have you tested the existing ipod cable with a device other than an iphone 5? (without the use of an adaptor)?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by prznskillz
its terrible i know...i have an 08 as well..

I have an old ipod touch hooked up to the ipod connect, I also ran a wire from the hidden aux to my glove box just in case...

another option is to try to buy a 30pin bluetooth audio adaptor which will hook up to your current ipod cable and allow you to play bluetooth audio through your current device.

have you tested the existing ipod cable with a device other than an iphone 5? (without the use of an adaptor)?
Oh, I like that idea. Have you tried it, the 30-pin bluetooth adapter? Any major loss in sound quality?

And actually i just stepped out of my car. Took out the manual and sat in there for a good hour playing with everything. I didnt know how to access the menu where it lists 'MP3, CD, Sirius, AUX' up until now. I managed to get it to work with my iphone 5 with an adapter but now the only problem is that nothing is displayed on the center console.. No song details or back/next song options. Is it suppose to be like that or does using an actual iPod allow me to have those controls?
Attached Thumbnails iPod Cable in '08-image.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I-pod on the MB is pretty lame the only way to see the songs is on the speedo screen. I had an '08 with MM and only used the I=pod about three times. Mostly used Sirius or the internal HD. I had a PCMCIA adaptor and it worked fine, but once again rarely used. I never used the DVD player for music (other than downloading to the HD) just movies while waiting for my Wife to finish shopping. Blue Tooth in '08 was still pretty new so it is understandable that you couldn't stream music back then. My 2013 can stream and it has a USB jack in the console.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
there should not be a major sound quality loss from bluetooth, and I have not used the adapter yet...I am fine just plugging in my ipod and playing songs through the speedo...I dont even have the multimedia package, so I have that dinky 3.5" screen that I never use because its terrible