C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

pedalbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
pedalbox

i wonder who has a pedalbox on their W204
Old 11-09-2013, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Doa

An unfamiliar term for me.....please explain "pedalbox"
Old 11-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205
electronic throttle signal amplification system
for example http://www.pedalboxusa.com/
Old 11-09-2013, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Doa
electronic throttle signal amplification system
for example http://www.pedalboxusa.com/

Another version of the Sprint Booster!

Here we go again!

Have at it, owners vs "white paper" supporters (long time members of this forum will get this reference.....for others, I suggest "search")!!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205
its about getting rid of that gas throttle delay all mercs have
Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Amplifying the signal so that you have WOT at 60 to 70% throttle pedal travel does not eliminate throttle latency. It is programmed into the ECU.

"nuff said" I'm not interested in repeating this debate.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205
hm so its possible to change the throttle latency with chip tuning? interesting
Old 11-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
An unfamiliar term for me.....please explain "pedalbox"
1 minute google search to find out that it's a sprintbooser.

And I've done a lot of research on resolving the massive ecu/tcu delay on my C300, including google searching and reading through pages and pages of opinionated responses about sprintbooser.

From all the information I've gathered, a "throttle booster" is merely just that, increase in throttle. I agree with Glen and Sportstick, that it's useless and most likely a placebo effect. You could achieve the same results, albeit without thinning your wallet, by pressing the gas pedal down further, or even better, doing an TCU reset. I've done the TCU reset and felt the difference right away.

The most ideal options are probably either getting an ECU tune or buying a different car without MB throttle lag.

If I recall correctly, TCU reset directions are as folllows:

1. Put key fob in ignition, put to ON position but do not start engine.
2. Hold gas pedal down to whatever level you want to be your max throttle.
3. Hold pedal at position for at least 5 seconds
4. Release pedal and switch key fob back to ON position, NOT OFF OR OUT.
5. Wait at least 2 minutes for ECU/TCU to reset.

This will allow the car to "unlearn" the previous driving habits and start off with a fresh slate.

Setting the pedal to anything less than full throttle will basically be the same as what a throttle booster would do. I tried to set it to somewhere at the half way mark once and the car felt very confused when I'd only go half throttle. It seemed to pick up to max throttle, and then rev rpms and go back up a gear. Very weird throttle activity until it relearned my driving habits a week later. I just recently reset my ECU and kept the pedal pushed all the way this time. The car feels much more responsive now.

If any of my information is wrong, I hope Glyn or Sport stick can correct me. I'll edit my info for corrections.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
1 minute google search to find out that it's a sprintbooser.
True, but that would have only helped me.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The so called "ECU reset" is in fact a throttle reset. All it does is ensure that the throttle plate is aligned with the throttle pedal. i.e. foot flat = WOT.

The system can loose calibration over time.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Doa
hm so its possible to change the throttle latency with chip tuning? interesting
My OE Tune reduced the throttle lag a bit so it is much more fun blipping the throttle for downshifts. The "throttle overrun" seems to be the same though.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Doa
Doa - this is a re-post, I am a proponent of the Sprintbooster - Buy it, you will not be disappointed..(It does not add HP, and if jam your foot to the floor with or without it, you will most likely get the same 0-60 time, but in every day driving, it is a great enhancement to an already nice performing car).

I realize there are numerous posts already on this subject, I think I read them all prior to making my decision to buy the Sprintbooster. I also read the old “white paper” that is floating around that somebody did a nice job of documenting and attempted to provide a lot of good scientific detail in a less than scientific way (trying to match exact pressure for each test pushing pedal with foot) that the SB provides little to no improvement over the quick and heavy foot method.

The most common debate has two clear sides/opinions:

Those who have not tried it – “It is worthless, you can achieve the same by just pressing the pedal harder”

Those who have installed it – “It is excellent, truly enhances the driving experience in this car, should have come out of the factory this way”

I am now part of the installed group. I love the way this cars pulls now without having to mash the pedal, it is much improved over the stock, sluggish feeling. For the not so great price of 339 bucks, this part truly changes the way the car drives, not only from a dead stop, but on the highway where I do about 70 miles per day. Passing in the 65 – 80mph range is quick and deliberate – there is basically no delay when kicking down to pass and the pedal travel is minimal to engage the lower gears.

To be completely fair, there are a couple things I think could be improved:

Feels cheaply made – especially the switch to go to the different modes. For what the build cost vs. purchase cost is, I wish it was made “more sturdy” (however, it is nice that you can set it and just remove the switch and it will retain that setting).

3 modes – clear, green, and red - stock, sport, and race is what they are calling the modes. I think green and red are too similar, I actually wish the green (sport) mode was a little more mild – more in between stock and race to provide a wider range of driving choices.

Bottom line – do not knock it until you try it – I have had this car for 6 months, this week I have not been able to wipe the smile off my face while driving it, very much improved…Still need to mount the switch, and snapped a quick pic after detailing right after the install.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
With respect to Glyn and Sport- I am also a Sprintbooster proponent. I read the "White Paper" and although I appreciate the time spent on the research- I offer my support based on Real-Life experience with a modern vehicle. I believe the research was based on an older Mercedes with a Manual transmission (1999 Mercedes Benz SLK 230 with a manual transmission). I understand the Sprintbooster and PedalBox simply increase the sensitivity of the Accelerator Pedal and allow you to reach WOT within a shorter distance of pedal travel and that it DOES NOT increase HP or Torque. It does, however, increase the driving pleasure of the car. I was referred to Sprintbooster by my friends who are Porsche Owners- they swear by them. I have the Burger Motorsports JB+ on the C250 Coupe and I am considering buying the newer Sprintbooster to compare the two.

Last edited by AkaSigFreak; 11-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
With respect to Glyn and Sport- I am also a Sprintbooster proponent.
Thanks, but no need to consider me. Never owned nor tried one. My foot and ankle have full range of motion and if I didn't think more body motion was more enjoyable than less, I'd be driving an automatic!

And for that reason, I'm out!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Thanks, but no need to consider me. Never owned nor tried one. My foot and ankle have full range of motion and if I didn't think more body motion was more enjoyable than less, I'd be driving an automatic!

And for that reason, I'm out!
If it wasn't for numerous knee and shoulder surgeries- i'd be a Stick driver too. All my cars were manual transmissions until I started having issues.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
If it wasn't for numerous knee and shoulder surgeries- i'd be a Stick driver too. All my cars were manual transmissions until I started having issues.
My last post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but you raise a valid and serious issue. These kind of devices may be quite helpful to make driving more comfortable for restricted motion situations. Hope you are doing ok.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C Class Sport Coupe (2005) 1.8 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Amplifying the signal so that you have WOT at 60 to 70% throttle pedal travel does not eliminate throttle latency. It is programmed into the ECU.

"nuff said" I'm not interested in repeating this debate.
For someone so, supposedly, informed, you don't know very much it seems. EVERY single modern car on sale today has a DBW throttle, and almost every one of those cars has selectable "driving" modes - M-sport, R-sport, AMG, Sport Plus, DNA, VXR, the list goes on...

The reason that those modes even exist, is to sharpen the car for driving hard. This often has an effect on the suspension, etc, but normally only affects the throttle response and the gear changes (in an auto). Any suggestion, that this is somehow similar to just mashing the accelerator pedal, is actually quite ignorant. The effect is NOT the same, and can actually often lead to hiccuping acceleration and hesitation, as the electronics try to work out what you want. Mostly, they get it wrong too. Devices like the Pedal Booster eliminate this completely, and achieve an experience similar to a drive by cable throttle system.

Devices, such as Pedal Booster obviously work and achieve their aim too... Otherwise why would the sudden take off, of "driver modes", have taken place?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
The so called "ECU reset" is in fact a throttle reset. All it does is ensure that the throttle plate is aligned with the throttle pedal. i.e. foot flat = WOT.

The system can loose calibration over time.
Yeah, the word is "lose", not "loose". You lost my confidence with that simple error, as it shows that you don't proof read what you write. Anyone who does that, is not someone I could ever trust.

Also, throttle position reset does nothing. It will never, ever, achieve the responsiveness of Pedal Box, etc, as it is NOT designed to.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Wrong section and old topic buddy. Pedal box is crap, variant coding throttle response is life.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by xEryx
Wrong section and old topic buddy. Pedal box is crap, variant coding throttle response is life.
Wrong section? I was replying to a thread that already existed, so "wrong section", my so and so... Buddy!

That's the kind of ignorant response I would expect from a Luddite. Prove it doesn't work... Bet you can't.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Originally Posted by Scat01
Doa - this is a re-post, I am a proponent of the Sprintbooster - Buy it, you will not be disappointed..(It does not add HP, and if jam your foot to the floor with or without it, you will most likely get the same 0-60 time, but in every day driving, it is a great enhancement to an already nice performing car).

I realize there are numerous posts already on this subject, I think I read them all prior to making my decision to buy the Sprintbooster. I also read the old “white paper” that is floating around that somebody did a nice job of documenting and attempted to provide a lot of good scientific detail in a less than scientific way (trying to match exact pressure for each test pushing pedal with foot) that the SB provides little to no improvement over the quick and heavy foot method.

The most common debate has two clear sides/opinions:

Those who have not tried it – “It is worthless, you can achieve the same by just pressing the pedal harder”

Those who have installed it – “It is excellent, truly enhances the driving experience in this car, should have come out of the factory this way”

I am now part of the installed group. I love the way this cars pulls now without having to mash the pedal, it is much improved over the stock, sluggish feeling. For the not so great price of 339 bucks, this part truly changes the way the car drives, not only from a dead stop, but on the highway where I do about 70 miles per day. Passing in the 65 – 80mph range is quick and deliberate – there is basically no delay when kicking down to pass and the pedal travel is minimal to engage the lower gears.

To be completely fair, there are a couple things I think could be improved:

Feels cheaply made – especially the switch to go to the different modes. For what the build cost vs. purchase cost is, I wish it was made “more sturdy” (however, it is nice that you can set it and just remove the switch and it will retain that setting).

3 modes – clear, green, and red - stock, sport, and race is what they are calling the modes. I think green and red are too similar, I actually wish the green (sport) mode was a little more mild – more in between stock and race to provide a wider range of driving choices.

Bottom line – do not knock it until you try it – I have had this car for 6 months, this week I have not been able to wipe the smile off my face while driving it, very much improved…Still need to mount the switch, and snapped a quick pic after detailing right after the install.

I agree wholeheartedly..I have a pedalbox on my ML63 and would not go without...I have a sprintbooster on my ZR1 and wouldn't go without..the difference is the pedalbox has more settings than the SP of which I never touch on either....both are set to maximum sensitivity...
Again..wouldn't go without

Last edited by Nanook; 03-17-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
+1 to that!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by thedons1983
Yeah, the word is "lose", not "loose". You lost my confidence with that simple error, as it shows that you don't proof read what you write. Anyone who does that, is not someone I could ever trust.
Sounds like Donald Trump in drag..
Old 03-17-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by thedons1983
Nothing like making friends your first day on the site, especially responding to a post from 2 1/2 years ago.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
The truth has been spoken.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pedalbox