C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Back Door Panel Removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300
C300 Back Door Panel Removal?

I have all the proper tools, and saw a video for the C63 -

Obviously things are a bit different, for example, the bolts are T30 torx as opposed to T20.

What I'm trying to do is remove the back door panel to replace the lock pins. The front ones were easy enough...but I digress. I unscrew the bolts and I try to pull off the back panel, but holy! I felt like I'm pulling and pulling, and nothing's getting done...

I'm positive someone here will be able to help me with this.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
I literally did this mod like 3 nights ago after seeing this video a month ago. The 2nd door was a lot easier, so don't worry too much. Pulling the doors off was nerve-racking, because I felt like I was going to break something, but nothing broke. You will feel like you broke something. lol.

My advice for pulling the door panels off is get both hands under the panel along the bottom. Find an area where one of the clips are, because the other clips come out a lot easier after the first is out. Fix your hands to where your left hand is to the left of the clip and your right is to the right to give you even leverage and slowly and gradually pull harder until it pops out.

In my opinion, the way the orange clips clip into the door panel, if you pull at an angle, you risk them slipping out like in the video and staying clipped to the door. The first door, I had 2 clips not come out, and the second door, I had none. Also, if you have some that don't come off with the door panel, I suggest not using a pair of pliers to pull them off like the guy did in the video. I totally destroyed one of the orange clips trying to get it off. The second clip, I found this tool that looks like the other end of the hammer but flat instead of curved, and it pulled the last one off perfectly. Sorry, don't know what it's called.

Pulling off the stock pins from locking mechanism was hard, too, because you don't have much to hold onto. But I found that if you stuck the end of a flathead into the pin like the guy did in the video and turned really hard, basically cracking the stock pin in multiple points around the base of the stock pin, they pull off a lot easier. To put the aluminum pin on, use pliers like the guy said and grip HARD and push really hard until the aluminum pin clips onto the "o-ring" like in the video.

It's a frustrating process, but don't give up.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 PM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by Richard2011
I literally did this mod like 3 nights ago after seeing this video a month ago. The 2nd door was a lot easier, so don't worry too much. Pulling the doors off was nerve-racking, because I felt like I was going to break something, but nothing broke. You will feel like you broke something. lol.

My advice for pulling the door panels off is get both hands under the panel along the bottom. Find an area where one of the clips are, because the other clips come out a lot easier after the first is out. Fix your hands to where your left hand is to the left of the clip and your right is to the right to give you even leverage and slowly and gradually pull harder until it pops out.

In my opinion, the way the orange clips clip into the door panel, if you pull at an angle, you risk them slipping out like in the video and staying clipped to the door. The first door, I had 2 clips not come out, and the second door, I had none. Also, if you have some that don't come off with the door panel, I suggest not using a pair of pliers to pull them off like the guy did in the video. I totally destroyed one of the orange clips trying to get it off. The second clip, I found this tool that looks like the other end of the hammer but flat instead of curved, and it pulled the last one off perfectly. Sorry, don't know what it's called.

Pulling off the stock pins from locking mechanism was hard, too, because you don't have much to hold onto. But I found that if you stuck the end of a flathead into the pin like the guy did in the video and turned really hard, basically cracking the stock pin in multiple points around the base of the stock pin, they pull off a lot easier. To put the aluminum pin on, use pliers like the guy said and grip HARD and push really hard until the aluminum pin clips onto the "o-ring" like in the video.

It's a frustrating process, but don't give up.
Thanks for the help. With your encouragement, I got the door off. I was so happy about that, because I thought it was the worst part. However, for some reason, try as I might, the new pins will not latch on. I'm not weak by any means, so it's not a strength factor. I gripped as hard as I could, and pushed down the aluminum pin as hard as I could, and it just wouldn't fit right. In the video, he made it seem so flawless.

I got the right product - "Mercedes Benz ML CLASS W163 C Class W204 C300 C350 METAL Door Lock Pins 4pcs" from VD-Cool.

I have no idea what the problem could be... Anyone experience this? I spent over a half hour on it, trying to get it to work.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
All I can tell you is push harder and grip the pliers harder so it doesn't slide any. I got those same pins. You can use the pliers and kind of "crush" the o-ring just ever so slightly. I tried that with my first pin, and it may or may not have helped, but I got it on when I pushed harder. You can try to hold onto the pliers with your "pushing" hand to give you some leverage (i.e. grip pliers with left hand and latch on right hand fingers to nose of pliers and push pin with palm).
Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM

2008 C300
I caved in and bought some heavy-duty epoxy. No matter what I did, or how hard I pressed, it just wouldn't work. I used all my strength, and even had someone help hold it, but there was nothing I could do.

Anyway, I took before, during, and after pictures and made a collage.

C300 Back Door Panel Removal?-gyrq40f.jpg

Thanks for your help and encouragement, Richard2011, and I also give thanks to the person who created that video tutorial.