C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2003 E series to a 2010 C300?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E series to a 2010 C300?

Considering trading in my 2003 E500 for a 2010 c300. I've got some trans issues and will be dropping 2-4k getting it rebuilt. Fantastic looking Silver C300 caught my attention today at the dealership.. 36k miles for 22k. I'm considering scheduling a testdrive but would like to hear any input from people that have experience with these. Curb weight is pretty close and interior dimensions are fairly close.. they must have increased the size from the 2103 cuz I'm pretty sure it didn't have as similar dimensions as this new series compared to my w211. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The entire industry indulges in size-creep during product cycles (CLA is about the same size as the outgoing C Class, and the new C next year is about 5" longer). So, you may find the interior sufficiently spacious. However, coming from an E Class, you may be sensitive to the difference in the C Class between the Luxury and Sport models, due to noticeable differences in the suspension calibration. I'm making an assumption here, but I would guess you would prefer the Luxury model to be closer in traditional ride comfort to your current E. Unless the car has been modified, you can look for the upright hood ornament, no large three pointed star in the grille, and same size tires front and rear to identify a Luxury model. If you make contact with the dealer, the paperwork will tell all. In any event, take the test drive. There have been Sport buyers here with buyers remorse over not finding the relatively more rare Luxury model, due to their perception of ride harshness.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by trioxin
Curb weight is pretty close and interior dimensions are fairly close.. they must have increased the size from the 2103 cuz I'm pretty sure it didn't have as similar dimensions as this new series compared to my w211. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Where are you reading that they have similar interior dimensions and curb weights? We've had both the W211 and the W204. The interior of the W204 (at least subjectively) is significantly smaller.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 PM

yahoo autos has all the dimensions of each car>> http://autos.yahoo.com/mercedes-benz...fications.html
>>>
http://autos.yahoo.com/mercedes-benz...fications.html

.............they are really pretty close or the same in hip/head room in the front seats.. a little less leg room in the back. Length and width of the entire car is within 2 inches. Obviously if you noticed a difference maybe the small dimension difference are very noticeable. What did you think in driving terms.. does the w204 have the comfortable smooth driving? And yeah to the previous poster what I like about the e500 is the heavy feeling smooth ride.. I like the power the e500 has but the solid comfortable ride is more important to me.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 AM

2012 C250 Sport
yahoo autos has all the dimensions of each car>> http://autos.yahoo.com/mercedes-benz...fications.html
>>>
http://autos.yahoo.com/mercedes-benz...fications.html

.............they are really pretty close or the same in hip/head room in the front seats.. a little less leg room in the back. Length and width of the entire car is within 2 inches. Obviously if you noticed a difference maybe the small dimension difference are very noticeable. What did you think in driving terms.. does the w204 have the comfortable smooth driving? And yeah to the previous poster what I like about the e500 is the heavy feeling smooth ride.. I like the power the e500 has but the solid comfortable ride is more important to me.
Not sure how you're reading the specs you posted. The W211 is 8 inches longer overall and 300 lbs heavier. Those aren't small difference. 2+ inches for rear leg room and 2 inches for shoulder room aren't considered "small" differences for interior dimensions.

Sit inside the cars themselves (esp the back seats), and you'll notice an obvious difference. The W211 will seat 4 normal sized adults relatively comfortably; not so w/ the W204.

Can't comment about the E500, as I've never driven one. The W211 E320 we owned had horrific light steering at low speed, decently weighted steering at high speed, and totally artificial-feeling steering at all speeds. The seats were bigger than the W204 but very thinly padded. The ride was superficially smooth but has an unsettling sideways hopping motion over bumps at speed.

The W204 is even less smooth (at least w/ the sport suspension; no weird sideways hopping, though) and not particularly heavy-feeling. The ride is well-controlled, but it's pretty bumpy. I actually think the pre-facelift version had a better ride (more superficially bumpy and firm but didn't wander as much as the post-facelift). The way the W204 bounds over speed bumps is particularly un-MB like. Steering is well-weighted at low speeds but a little too light at high speeds. Still, it's a relatively comfortable drive. Not sure how the Luxury version rides, but I'm definitely not getting a Sport model for my next MB.

Also realize that increasing exterior dimensions don't necessarily result in a proportional increase in interior dimensions (since some of the size and wt increases are related to structural changes for better crash protection).

If you're looking to seat 4 or for a very comfortable ride, I don't think you should be looking at a C-class.... (unless you can test drive a Lux version)

Last edited by alsyli; 12-12-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Considering trading in my 2003 E500 for a 2010 c300. I've got some trans issues and will be dropping 2-4k getting it rebuilt. Fantastic looking Silver C300 caught my attention today at the dealership.. 36k miles for 22k. I'm considering scheduling a testdrive but would like to hear any input from people that have experience with these. Curb weight is pretty close and interior dimensions are fairly close.. they must have increased the size from the 2103 cuz I'm pretty sure it didn't have as similar dimensions as this new series compared to my w211. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You might just really like it! I've had my C from the same generation since the first year in 2008. The test drive should help you decide.

I don't find the ride too harsh. Without being too soft, I feel it takes on road imperfections with confidence. I've driven W212, newer Es, and it wasn't over the top difference in ride difference. Of different cars I have actually owned over the years (more generic family cars), I'd say it (C Class) handles bumps and whatnot best. Of course, I know you have a different scenario coming from an E, but I don't think it's so bad at all. My SLK is oddly less stiff than the C probably, but yet you feel lots more of the road imperfections.

Now, when it comes to interior, it is fairly tight in the C. It's my preferred size car as I don't want to drive around extra space I don't need, etc. but it will definitely be smaller inside and out.

I've had a dealer of another brand recently tell me they don't know how people drive the modern Mercedes with the oh so hard suspension. I really don't know what he was talking about. I know they have gotten stiffer, but the ride is still so much more composed and controlled compared to rental cars I drive.

Overall, my biggest fear for you would be the space difference inside. Again, when I first got my C, I came from a much larger car, but I knew I liked the size of the C Class. I would spend some time with the car on the lot to make sure you are also comfortable with the size.

Just make sure you feel good about the decision. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Luxury
If you take frequent trips with two or more on board, you will find the trunk of the C300 to be much smaller than the E series trunk. I have the C300 luxury model and have found few differences in ride quality between it and the 2004 E Class. but the big difference is that the E500 I believe is an eight cylinder car (if not, I'm a dummy) and is pretty peppy compared to the C300. I have some time with an E55, and its a very different car than the C300.

But I like them both very much.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Hey thanks for the responses, I'm test driving on Saturday. Wish I could rent one for a week.. I'd know for sure then. I'll definitely test drive the luxury version.. they have 5 or 6 2008-11 C's at the dealership that I'm going to so i'll try both sport and luxury. And yeah.. guess I was reading the specs wrong. I do have the road hop in the e500 which is weird , I have a bridge I go over daily that has a connector on the corner and it feels like the car jumps 6 inches to the right going 60 around it.. kinda scary!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Hey thanks for the responses, I'm test driving on Saturday. Wish I could rent one for a week.. I'd know for sure then. I'll definitely test drive the luxury version.. they have 5 or 6 2008-11 C's at the dealership that I'm going to so i'll try both sport and luxury. And yeah.. guess I was reading the specs wrong. I do have the road hop in the e500 which is weird , I have a bridge I go over daily that has a connector on the corner and it feels like the car jumps 6 inches to the right going 60 around it.. kinda scary!
Glyn mentioned in another thread why the wheel hop might be happening. It hasn't been an issue in any of our W204s, though. =)