C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Letting My Car Warm Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4matic Sport
Letting My Car Warm Up

While I'm completely prepared to be called "paranoid", I have to ask...

It's 2 degrees out, and I only have one key for my '08 C300. I'd love to let my car warm up for a few minutes before leaving the office at the end of the day. But, I'm worried some auto-lock-time feature may accidentally leave me stuck out in the cold if I don't leave a door cracked.

Has anyone found themselves locked out of their car this way? Anyone do this on a semi-regular basis without issue? Or, like I mentioned, am I just completely paranoid? Ha ha ha!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Doors won't auto lock until all doors are closed, the sensor in the seat senses pressure and the car hits 10 mph
Old 12-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
If your doing it to protect the engine its not necessary, just dont drive it like you stole it for the first couple minutes. If your doing it to heat up the interior , I understand, its in the teens at my place the last week and the first 5 min the interior is cold and need a jacket so if I could let it run before entering the car it would be nice but I dont

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...e_myths/3.html

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1101499

http://www.cartalk.com/content/do-ca...inter-mornings

http://www.autoweek.com/car-shopping...are-myths.html
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM

2008 C300 4matic Sport
I'm just wanting to let the interior warm up a bit. Don't get me wrong. It doesn't take long to get up to temperature (relatively speaking). But, 2 degrees is 2 degrees...
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Wouldn't you be colder/more hassled overall by having to run out once to start the car, run back inside, and then come back out again to drive away, all while it's 2 degrees? Hit the seat heaters as soon as your land in the seat, leave the HVAC on AUTO, so it doesn't blow cold air on you, and at least you're spending half the time in the wind!

OTOH, does anyone make a remote start for the C Class? I never looked, as it wouldn't be compatible with a manual trans in any event.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM

2011 C180 Coupé (prev '99 CLK200)
Car warms up faster when driving it than idle, put a jacket and drive

Pascal
Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Wouldn't you be colder/more hassled overall by having to run out once to start the car, run back inside, and then come back out again to drive away, all while it's 2 degrees?
It somewhat makes sense if your car is parked outside. First thing you do is turn it on, then you spend a few minutes clearing ice and snow off it, and then you jump in and drive off.

Not sure if the OP meant 2 degrees Celsius or 2 degrees Fahrenheit. When it's as cold as 2F, it typically doesn't snow anymore.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Pete7874
It somewhat makes sense if your car is parked outside. First thing you do is turn it on, then you spend a few minutes clearing ice and snow off it, and then you jump in and drive off.

Not sure if the OP meant 2 degrees Celsius or 2 degrees Fahrenheit. When it's as cold as 2F, it typically doesn't snow anymore.
Your scenario is valid, but the implication of him not wanting to leave the door cracked open to avert a feared lock-out suggests he's not staying with his vehicle. So, where is he going.....I presumed back inside to wait for the car to warm up??
Old 12-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Your scenario is valid, but the implication of him not wanting to leave the door cracked open to avert a feared lock-out suggests he's not staying with his vehicle.
We're all speculating here, but why does it suggest he's not staying with his vehicle? If such lock out were to happen (we know it won't), it could happen whether he's just next to the vehicle or inside the office.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Pete7874
We're all speculating here, but why does it suggest he's not staying with his vehicle? If such lock out were to happen (we know it won't), it could happen whether he's just next to the vehicle or inside the office.
It's part of the game....reading the OP's mind!

The way he structured his original post, it suggested to me that leaving the door cracked was something he wished to avoid. By placing the open-door alternative as a clause at the end of the sentence, almost as a last resort, it seemed not his desired solution. So, when I ask myself why that would be, my primary answer was a security concern. What other significant objection would there be to just having it slightly unlatched but not open enough to create a path for possible incoming snow?

Wonder if he'll ever come back to validate or shoot down all this mind-reading!?

Last edited by Sportstick; 12-12-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:03 PM

I see. Makes sense now. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:57 PM

2008 C300 4matic Sport
Fahrenheit. If I needed to warm my car up because it was 2 degrees Celsius, I should probably move to a warmer climate...

Regardless, the same question is valid regardless of the temperature. Perhaps I want to let the car cool off for a few minutes when it's hot out. Perhaps I spot a shiny object in the distance while driving and am compelled to pull over and investigate it for a moment. Perhaps I forget my cell phone before leaving the driveway and want to run inside, yet am simply too lazy/frustrated to want to turn the car off and back on again...

The goal is to leave the car running, doors closed and empty. Assuming that it's still there when I get back (for the sake of it, assume that theft isn't an issue), will I find myself "locked out"?

xXHotelCrazyXx, that info is extremely helpful!

Thanks all!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by timsimons
Fahrenheit. If I needed to warm my car up because it was 2 degrees Celsius, I should probably move to a warmer climate...
But 2 degrees Celsius is warmer than 2 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM

2011 C180 Coupé (prev '99 CLK200)
A no cost solution maybe (not tested, just idea): open the door and enter passenger side, start engine and keep metal key (leave only electronic key), open the door, push the close door button, the passenger side lock mechanism has no security and will close even when the door is opened, close the door : the car should be closed and running.

Come back later to driver side and use the metal key to open the door...

I strongly suggest to test this procedure with windows opened, just in case

Another suggestion: buy a second key, having only one key for a car is a really bad idea, not only if the key get lost but it's mandatory here for insurance : if the car get stolen, the insurance ask us the two keys or they won't pay back as they thought you leaved the car unattended with a key inside.

Pascal
Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
OTOH, does anyone make a remote start for the C Class? I never looked, as it wouldn't be compatible with a manual trans in any event.
Technology has advanced in this dept. Most reputable remote start kits now come with a micro switch and will not allow the car to be started if a gear is selected if you have a standard transmission.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Technology has advanced in this dept. Most reputable remote start kits now come with a micro switch and will not allow the car to be started if a gear is selected if you have a standard transmission.
Next thing you know, we'll all be walking around with telephones in our pockets.......

Thanks for the heads-up!