C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2008 c300 wont start ~ ESL or EIS? ~ renamed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by menappi
This ESL issue is starting to scare me. I hadn't heard of this before getting my used C350 but now I'm reading about issues all over the place. Is this something that is almost guaranteed to go ? Any preventative measures to hopefully extend the life??
Be scared. There are no preventative measures that you can take. First--The key may not work from time to time. If you have to take it out and try again, consider yourself lucky as this is your warning! Take it in immediately!! It cost me $2,000 for the ESL and the EIS,2 months out of warranty with 35,000 miles on the clock. MBUSA did nothing. I think that they didn't do more is because I hadn't bought it new from dealer! They had the nerve to actually ask that!!
If you are out of warranty they probably won't pay. Maybe you'll be one if the lucky ones and only have to pay "only" a $1000 instead of $2000 because Mercedes won't own up to their failures. It's funny how people think. Look at the state if our country (USA)!
By the way---I took a beating (again) and traded the lemon in on a BMW 335xi and love it! Very quick and easy to drive. Much nicer than the Benz.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:18 AM

C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by Bluehardtail
Be scared. There are no preventative measures that you can take. First--The key may not work from time to time. If you have to take it out and try again, consider yourself lucky as this is your warning! Take it in immediately!! It cost me $2,000 for the ESL and the EIS,2 months out of warranty with 35,000 miles on the clock. MBUSA did nothing. I think that they didn't do more is because I hadn't bought it new from dealer! They had the nerve to actually ask that!!
If you are out of warranty they probably won't pay. Maybe you'll be one if the lucky ones and only have to pay "only" a $1000 instead of $2000 because Mercedes won't own up to their failures. It's funny how people think. Look at the state if our country (USA)!
By the way---I took a beating (again) and traded the lemon in on a BMW 335xi and love it! Very quick and easy to drive. Much nicer than the Benz.
Be very very scared. the same damn lock is used on all MB products. C classes are not the only ones failing.
A whole industry is rising with companies repairing them. You can buy new ones on the internet for 500 euros
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Merce...224124586.html
You 2 can become a EIS repair Mogul
Just buy the kit here and start your own business

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10-22-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 MBZ C230K and '09 MBZ C350
Bluehardtail - I have a BMW 335i and I am about to get rid of it. Sooner or later, the 335i will have some major problems like turbos/wastegate, electric water pump, and other things like that. Very expensive repairs. The A/C system in all 3 series are HORRIBLE.

My wife drives her 2005 C230 Kompressor, the A/C system is much better (ICE COLD). Her old car is much more reliable than my newer 335i. I'm going to get a C250/300/350 (not sure which). Sorry to say, BMW sucks in quality.

I have researched on quality and parts between Benz and BMW, for example, the water pump in Benz is mechanical, it's about $150-$200 cheaper than BMW's electric water pump. Mechanical water pump is more reliable than electric.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (built by Daimler-Chrysler) and it is pretty reliable. No major problems. It's a 14 year old vehicle and the A/C system is still blows ice cold.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 AM

2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by chazzz
Bluehardtail - I have a BMW 335i and I am about to get rid of it. Sooner or later, the 335i will have some major problems like turbos/wastegate, electric water pump, and other things like that. Very expensive repairs. The A/C system in all 3 series are HORRIBLE.

My wife drives her 2005 C230 Kompressor, the A/C system is much better (ICE COLD). Her old car is much more reliable than my newer 335i. I'm going to get a C250/300/350 (not sure which). Sorry to say, BMW sucks in quality.

I have researched on quality and parts between Benz and BMW, for example, the water pump in Benz is mechanical, it's about $150-$200 cheaper than BMW's electric water pump. Mechanical water pump is more reliable than electric.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (built by Daimler-Chrysler) and it is pretty reliable. No major problems. It's a 14 year old vehicle and the A/C system is still blows ice cold.
Hi Chazz! I realize both Marques are very expensive to maintain and don't get me wrong--I liked my c class. I liked the looks (18 inch AMG wheels) and the sport stance was perfect. My cousin has bought BMW exclusively and through many years has had very fine reliability from all of them. I also have a very clean 1998 750il (12 cyl) that runs superbly.
What I didn't like (an understatement!) about Mercedes is how they leave everyone out in the cold when something this common and expensive goes bad and leaves them stranded. That is just bad business! I don't know if you read my other comments, it wasn't the money,it was the principal. I was just out of warranty. For the sake of the others with this problem--this shouldn't be downplayed.
Before you get a newer Mercedes I would reconsider,charge your AC (Lol!) and drive your BMW until one of those things goes wrong. It may never happen. We both have had bad experiences with the cars that we dislike! Maybe both of us should try Jag! Don't laugh!!! I've had three Jags and other than the dealer being crooked, I've had very good luck with them. I just don't like the styling of the new ones.
Chazz--I wish you lots of luck with whatever you drive--just be careful with the '08-'11 c class!
Oh--if you want to sell that 335i cheap just to get rid of it--let me know!

Last edited by Bluehardtail; 10-23-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:23 PM

C350
EIS Issue

I too experienced the same issue. C350 is a 2008 however I'm the original owner with only 65K miles on the vehicle. I just picked up the car this week after the repair was made.. Discussed potential EIS issue with MB service adviser because AAA tow guy indicated he's run into this issue a few times.

MB service adviser said it was some other electrical issue. I didn't question him just made a comment that I hope he's not BS'ing me. That was until I picked up my vehicle. The invoice stated EIS issue. I requested they give me the old part. Turns out it was the MB204 EIS part they gave me.

After reading a number of blogs I'm wondering if this should have been a recall issue.

Has anyone heard anything?

Not pleased with MB

Milo2014
Old 10-25-2014, 06:26 PM

C350
Unfortunately it sounds like your EIS. It just cost me $1026 to get this replaced
Old 10-25-2014, 08:06 PM

2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by milo2014
I too experienced the same issue. C350 is a 2008 however I'm the original owner with only 65K miles on the vehicle. I just picked up the car this week after the repair was made.. Discussed potential EIS issue with MB service adviser because AAA tow guy indicated he's run into this issue a few times.

MB service adviser said it was some other electrical issue. I didn't question him just made a comment that I hope he's not BS'ing me. That was until I picked up my vehicle. The invoice stated EIS issue. I requested they give me the old part. Turns out it was the MB204 EIS part they gave me.

After reading a number of blogs I'm wondering if this should have been a recall issue.

Has anyone heard anything?

Not pleased with MB

Milo2014
Hey Milo! Welcome to the club! Incredible isn't it. I drove all day today in my 2010 c 300 replacement---a 335i BMW. This is twice the car the c300 is. Much more power and 30 mpg and it actually starts every time!! If you don't mind me asking (or you can tell me to pound sand! Lol!) what the total was or if you were covered by an extended warranty. Mine was 2 grand out of pocket. I got 18 grand on a trade in with 35,000 on it. I did get $150 dollars to spend at the MB dealer!! WOW! $150!!
I will never forgive MB for the disappointment and distrust I had for that car. It's a real shame.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 AM

C350
Hey Bluehardtail,

Cost me $1027. Service adviser tried to say it wasn't the EIS when I had it towed in. Told him what I read on various blogs and he basically disregarded what I said. As a previous BMW owner I can say you made the right move. As the original owner and with only 65k miles I'm disappointed with my Mercedes. I Wrote a very detailed email to MB Corporate. May not result in anything nonetheless I had to vent.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:54 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
This will never be a "recall issue". It simply does not fit within the legal definition of a "safety recall" where the manufacturer will be willing to issue a recall or the NHTSA will issue a recall on their behalf (a forced recall). You can read my more detailed explanation of this issue in the other EIS/ESL thread.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:06 AM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
What I didn't like (an understatement!) about Mercedes is how they leave everyone out in the cold when something this common and expensive goes bad and leaves them stranded. That is just bad business! I don't know if you read my other comments, it wasn't the money,it was the principal. I was just out of warranty.
I've bolded the main reason why it was cold where you got stranded.

What is even worse than your apparent refusal to deal with this issue on the level, is that you are now attempting to talk others into the same exact problem that you faced.

Before you get a newer Mercedes I would reconsider,charge your AC (Lol!) and drive your BMW until one of those things goes wrong. It may never happen.
Well,the EIS/ESL issue "may never happen" to other MB owners. And yet here you are suggesting that "it shouldn't be downplayed", trying to victimize yourself. Do you not see how you are contradicting yourself?

Oh--if you want to sell that 335i cheap just to get rid of it--let me know!
Your claim is that you already traded in your C-Class for a 335i... Are you starting a collection?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 AM

2010Mercedes w204
Hey Bluehardtail,

Cost me $1027. Service adviser tried to say it wasn't the EIS when I had it towed in. Told him what I read on various blogs and he basically disregarded what I said. As a previous BMW owner I can say you made the right move. As the original owner and with only 65k miles I'm disappointed with my Mercedes. I Wrote a very detailed email to MB Corporate. May not result in anything nonetheless I had to vent.
Thanks for replying! I doubt whether they will do anything. MB and others on this thread feel that you should pay for this and that it is perfectly normal. You did get off easier. That doesn't mean you got off altogether! After driving the 335 all day to Charleston, I know I made the right choice! It has a much better feel at speed and quieter,too. The only complaint I have is that I find myself driving faster than I realize! I just wonder if MB will realize how they have tarnished their beloved star, before they go down in flames. It's happened to better companies!
Thanks again for the reply!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 AM

2008 C300 Sport 4Matic
2008 MB C300 w/ 30k - ESL Problem 11/19/14

Does anyone have any advise on how i can change the ESL myself on this car?
I hate to have to bring it to the dealership. Please Help. Car is Dead in My driveway and i have 4 tires ($900) for the car ready to go on it tomorrow.

What a disaster. I am looking at a minimum of $2500. to do both in the next week and just so frustrated and sitting at home. Im wishing i drove a $2000 honda with pealing paint at this point.

Thanks,
Broken Down C300 on Long Islandsmash:
Old 11-20-2014, 03:08 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by C300 EIS Error
Does anyone have any advise on how i can change the ESL myself on this car?
No can do.... Parts must be ordered by the dealer and they must be replaced by the dealer since it requires recoding the keys.

Moreover, you have no idea whether yours is an ESL failure or EIS failure... So even if you can replace one or the other on your own, where would you start? And why would you risk A 50:50 chance of doubling your cost (having to pay for BOTH parts), only in an attempt to reduce your cost (by saving labor charges)?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:52 PM

2008 C300 Sport 4Matic
I was at the deealship today to pick up the new key that i bought for $250. Since i don't have a second key for my car this is not a bad idea but, the F$&^ing car is not even running and i was 99.9% sure that the key would not make a difference. I talked with a mechanic at length and he stated that EIS is what he has seen fail most of the time and that this is a much easier job to do that the ESL. Two mechanics at MB stated that the ESL is much more involved to do then the EIS. He suggested that i order part the EIS and stated that he may be able to get the EIS out without opening up the dash entirely. He stated that there is a special tool to release the ring the hold the ignition in place.

I am truly not interested in doing this work since it is impossible unless you have Access to the STAR computer and knowledge of how to reprogram the Keys/ECU/EIS. It just blows me away that any company could manufacture such **** and still be in business. This ignition issue is so ****ing ridiculous it could make me scream.

EVERYTHING THAT I READ ON THE MBWORLD.ORG boards says that i should start with the ESL and not the EIS but, the mechanic stated that that is what he would start with. Also, does anyone know if a MB mechanic can get codes form the ECU of the car since it is not running/starting? That is what i was told that both part can not be tested with out the car running. What **** is that? I have never heard that with any other cars that i have had. Since the car never had a fault code when running to store in the ECU, i can kinda understand. I really thought that MB was the best in business but, they obviously don't have it all figured out and are only looking to rape customers that are out of warrantee.

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM

2008 C300 Sport 4Matic
EIS Problems 2008 C300

BTW- as i mentioned to the mechanic today. My steering column is not locked and the key can be turned but, i get message " remove key from Ignition". This is so frustrating.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:08 PM

C220 CDI SLK 200
BTW- as i mentioned to the mechanic today. My steering column is not locked and the key can be turned but, i get message " remove key from Ignition". This is so frustrating.
http://www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk/online-shop/
You can talk to these people
Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
Dealership quoted $1500 usd to fix EIS/ESL.
Seems this price is accurate.

I'm just going to eat it since the car is sitting at the dealership dead.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
The guy is stressing the fact that his car has been down for ONE DAY. I doubt speaking to someome in the United Kingdom will help trivialize the issue!

-------------------------------------------------

I was at the deealship today to pick up the new key that i bought for $250.* Since i don't have a second key for my car this is not a bad idea but,* the F$&^ing car is not even running and i was 99.9% sure that the key would not make a difference.**
I think you are mixing two independent issue together. Yes, they are both related to the key, but you buying a second key has no impact on your EIS or ESL (or both) issue(s). If there is a need to reprogram a new module, then it will be programmed to the same two keys you currently have (the old one and the new you picked up today).

Two mechanics at MB stated that the ESL is much more involved to do then the EIS.
And yet it makes ZERO sense to get this issue repaired at the dealer only to then opt to skip on the diagnosis part especially since it will not cost you anymore to do so. Your only cost will be "(1) parts and (2) labor to remove and replace those parts".

Moreover, when it comes to the labor charge, automotive repairs follow a standardized # of hours for each job. And therefore this:*

He ... stated that he may be able to get the EIS out without opening up the dash entirely.** He stated that there is a special tool to release the ring the hold the ignition in place.*
Will not help you one bit. The dealer is still going to charge you X # of hours for the job they do regardless of how long it might take the tech to do the job.

I*am truly not interested in doing this work
Well then I am sorry to be the one to have to break it to you. But your option(s) are extremely limited. So why are you busting your brain with the small details???

Start with Step #1-> get your car to the dealer. The rest, I assure you will fall into place!

I would also like to address this:

It just blows me away that any company could manufacture such **** and still be in business.
Maybe you can help me understand ^this^ point more clearly... Can you name ONE car manufacturer (or 'anything' manufacturer, for that matter) who is in the business of manufacturing and selling a product that is designed to last forever? I*am nor aware of any.

Parts failures do occur. And they do occur in every product that we seek, buy, own and eventually have to replace. And Merdeses Benz is no different. Just because this happens to be an EIS/ESL issue and just because it happened to you should make it no different than any other consumer good that is mass markered and sold!

The other angle here is no matter what make car this issue was happening with, there is not one manufacturer who will be willing to foot the bill for any out of warranty repairs. So why is everyone ragging on MBZ, is mind boggling to me!

I'm not trying to start an argument. But simply trying to put things in proper perspective. Hope this helps...
Old 12-22-2014, 02:32 PM

2008 C300, 2000 E320
2008 C300; EIS (Steerling Lock Failure)

So I got stranded in the rain the other night because my EIS (Steering Lock Failed). I towed my 2008 C300 to my local dealer (Mercedes Benz of Ontario California) where my service tech (Jorge) confirms the EIS (steering lock) needs to be replace at a cost of $1055.16. Needless to say, I am not happy with having to pay for a know common issue with this model. So I called MB Corp (800-367-6372) and filed a report. They told me someone will get back to me within 24 hours. Subsequently, I called the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (888-327-4236) and filed a complaint. They took my complaint, gave me a reference number and advised me to get back on this blog and inform people having issues with this vehicle to call them to file a complaint. The volume of complaints will force MB to do a recall and/or own up and pay for repairs. SO FOLKS, COMPLAINING ON THIS BLOB IS GREAT BUT WILL NOT ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING. YOU MUST FILE A COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA TO GET MB TO DO SOMETHING. Good luck to all.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:59 PM

2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by oakhillslake
So I got stranded in the rain the other night because my EIS (Steering Lock Failed). I towed my 2008 C300 to my local dealer (Mercedes Benz of Ontario California) where my service tech (Jorge) confirms the EIS (steering lock) needs to be replace at a cost of $1055.16. Needless to say, I am not happy with having to pay for a know common issue with this model. So I called MB Corp (800-367-6372) and filed a report. They told me someone will get back to me within 24 hours. Subsequently, I called the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (888-327-4236) and filed a complaint. They took my complaint, gave me a reference number and advised me to get back on this blog and inform people having issues with this vehicle to call them to file a complaint. The volume of complaints will force MB to do a recall and/or own up and pay for repairs. SO FOLKS, COMPLAINING ON THIS BLOB IS GREAT BUT WILL NOT ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING. YOU MUST FILE A COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA TO GET MB TO DO SOMETHING. Good luck to all.
Oakhillslake--Great advise! I did both. It's a shame that people have to force MB to do anything. They must read the complaints and know what's happening here. Frankly their quality has taken a nosedive. Look at the hard plastic on the door panels, lift the floormats and check the pile (or lack of) of the carpeting, lack of wood trim on the dash or just feel the quality of the star on the grille that happens to be their trademark. It would be interesting to see just how many EIS/ESL failures are recorded with the c class. Hopefully every one of you on this blog get compensated for your misfortune.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by oakhillslake
SO FOLKS, COMPLAINING ON THIS BLOB IS GREAT BUT WILL NOT ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING. YOU MUST FILE A COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA TO GET MB TO DO SOMETHING. Good luck to all.
Sorry to hear about your troubles...

Unfortunately, and frustrating as it may be, I think you were either misinformed or you misunderstood what was said. Everyone is free to document the problem with the NHTSA but to do so in hopes of getting the NHTSA to do something to -in turn- get Mercedes Benz to cover the cost of repairs, issue a recall or refund those who paid for their own repairs, there is no basis for anything that would support such a contention. This is not a safety issue and as such, it does not fall under NHTSA jurisdiction to force Mercedes Benz to do anything.

If Mercedes Benz chooses to do anything, it would be part of its offering some "good will" and not in any way, shape or form, as part of any sort of legal or regulatory obligation to do so.

But don't listen to me... File your complaints and continue hoping for a recall, or a refund neither of which has any likelihood of materializing any time soon!

Good luck!

Last edited by IGB; 12-22-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Look at the hard plastic on the door panels, lift the floormats and check the pile (or lack of) of the carpeting, lack of wood trim on the dash or just feel the quality of the star on the grille that happens to be their trademark.
Where you blindfolded when you bought your C-Class? As I am sure those same descriptions match what you saw when you bought yours! In fact the C-Class that you bought does offer wood trim, but you obviously went with what you are now claiming to be below standard for you... You're not pretentious at all, are you!

Additionally, Mercedes Benz offers higher priced models that offer leather door panels, plush carpeting and many more upgrades than what you opted to buy. Or may be what you could afford to buy. Which is what makes the C-Class what it is... The opening price point for a Mercedes Benz and an affordable model that captured a HUGE following from one segment of the market that would not otherwise be driving Mercedes Benz.

None of the above obligates Mercedes Benz to cover your repairs for the life of the vehicle. And its nonsense to feel otherwise!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 PM

2008 C300, 2000 E320
IGB - it appears you are an advocate of MB based on your comments and replies to several comments in this blob.

It is logical that if thousands of customers are having the same issue with their vehicle it is definitely something that should be brought to the attention of the manufacturer and others that can make a difference or have the power / authority to do so. Again, nothing will be achieved if we just chat about it between ourselves in the blog.
If each of us calls MB and report said issue as well as file a complaint with NHTSA and report to Consumer Reports, Yelp etc I assure you it will make a difference. No manufacturer or company wants negative publicity.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:04 PM

2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by IGB
Where you blindfolded when you bought your C-Class? As I am sure those same descriptions match what you saw when you bought yours! In fact the C-Class that you bought does offer wood trim, but you obviously went with what you are now claiming to be below standard for you... You're not pretentious at all, are you!

Additionally, Mercedes Benz offers higher priced models that offer leather door panels, plush carpeting and many more upgrades than what you opted to buy. Or may be what you could afford to buy. Which is what makes the C-Class what it is... The opening price point for a Mercedes Benz and an affordable model that captured a HUGE following from one segment of the market that would not otherwise be driving Mercedes Benz.

None of the above obligates Mercedes Benz to cover your repairs for the life of the vehicle. And its nonsense to feel otherwise!
MBMGR. I was blindfolded when I thought that I bought a premium car that I thought would start every time for at least the first 50,000 miles. As far as what I can afford and what I can't afford, you don't even know me. About the wood. I did have the wood option. There was wood at the bottom by the console but Mb's cost prevented wood across the dash where you could see it. You would've known that if you had spent the extra money to get that option. Nobody, but nobody is as dedicated to trying to discourage the people on this blog from filing a claim as you are. Are you MB management? Do you get some kind of gold star on your forehead for this? Do us all a favor and please make mention to your superiors at MB about all of the complaints here. You wanted to be presumptuous. You are awful arrogant---maybe you do fit in at MB!
Oh-did I mention how cheap the c class is made? A streamlined Sprinter!

Last edited by Bluehardtail; 12-23-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:38 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
Click on IGB and look at his past posts, if you can bear it. He's a troll. He was arguing at length against C300 customers getting any relief for the rear light melting connectors because they were out of warranty. Same for the transmission failure thread. I figure one or more dealers or MBUSA itself are paying him to cast doubt on complaints for out of warranty issues due to bad design or manufacturing processes. And now he's plying his trade over here, on this thread too.

By chance last night I was watching the local news interviewing the owner of 2009 Nissan who had the steering lock problem (essentially the ESL), which cost the owner about $1,000 to repair. The TV station contacted Nissan and they said they were reviewing their good will repair policy. What struck me was the consensus that $1000 for an ESL repair was outrageous. Outrage over the premature failure of the ESL/EIS is the appropriate response and adverse publicity will eventually force MB to fix the EIS/ESL problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2008 c300 wont start ~ ESL or EIS? ~ renamed