C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2008 c300 wont start ~ ESL or EIS? ~ renamed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by codeblue5007
Click on IGB and look at his past posts, if you can bear it. He's a troll. He was arguing at length against C300 customers getting any relief for the rear light melting connectors because they were out of warranty. Same for the transmission failure thread. I figure one or more dealers or MBUSA itself are paying him to cast doubt on complaints for out of warranty issues due to bad design or manufacturing processes. And now he's plying his trade over here, on this thread too.

By chance last night I was watching the local news interviewing the owner of 2009 Nissan who had the steering lock problem (essentially the ESL), which cost the owner about $1,000 to repair. The TV station contacted Nissan and they said they were reviewing their good will repair policy. What struck me was the consensus that $1000 for an ESL repair was outrageous. Outrage over the premature failure of the ESL/EIS is the appropriate response and adverse publicity will eventually force MB to fix the EIS/ESL problem.
Code blue! Where have you been? Lol! Are you still pushing your c class? I almost had to laugh when IGB (MBMGR) chimed in right on time. Personally, I couldn't care less what His agenda is. Nobody wants or should take a hit like this in a premium car. I can see a rattle or something minor but not being stranded without warning. Everyone on here is angry about what happened and absolutely should file. If MB wants to make a cheap car they should call it Corvair or Falcon. Both names are available now for good reason.
I hope your luck is changing, too! Good to hear from you! Lol!
Old 03-20-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320 2000
hope this might help someone get their car started

I am currently having the same issue. It seems the ESL is wearing out as described. Usually I can move the steering column adjustment lever back and forth a few times and it works. Twice I couldn't get the ESL to engage and/or disengage. By luck, I removed the dash/cowl under the steering column just tapped on the ESL with a hammer/screwdriver....both times it started right up. So either the pins are sticking or the cogs are wearing out or the pins are finding a spot on the steering column it doesn't like. I now know how to temporarily fix, but need a permanent solution. Do you know about removing the ESL on an 2000 CLK and replacing it with an ESL emulator? Saw a youtube that showed the car working with the ESL removed??? Apparently there are two types of the ESL, type 1 used on pre-2002 MB and type 2 used after. The ESL emulator can diagnose the type 2 but will replace the type 1? Also saw a youtube that showed replacing the tiny motor within the ESL....the sell both these items on Ebay for $30.00 ea. Seems too good to be true but I have found nothing about how to replace a worn out ESL only. I know that this is the only part wearing out. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:02 PM

2008 C300 luxury sport 4matic, C280 2000 sport
If it is EIS it needs to be reported to the NSHTA so they are aware of the problem and hopefully recall. My C300 2008 just cost me $1000. Please take the time to fill out the form.https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 07-09-2015, 07:31 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by Physicsmike
If it is EIS it needs to be reported to the NSHTA so they are aware of the problem and hopefully recall. My C300 2008 just cost me $1000. Please take the time to fill out the form.https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Neither EIS nor ESL carry any safety concerns with their failure. Accordingly, expecting a recall simply means you're setting your hopes up for something that isn't likely to happen!

Quoting NHTSA's "Motor Vehicle Safety Defects and Recalls Campaigns"

When is a recall necessary?
When a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment (including tires) does not comply with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.
When there is a safety-related defect in the vehicle or equipment.
And...

What Is a Safety-Related Defect?
The United States Code for Motor Vehicle Safety (Title 49, Chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety as “the performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring because of the design, construction, or performance of a motor vehicle, and against unreasonable risk of death or injury in an accident, and includes nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle .” A defect includes “any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment .” Generally, a safety defect is defined as a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that:
➧ poses a risk to motor vehicle safety, and
➧ may exist in a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture .
But please, if you feel it is important that you document your case with the NHTSA, whether or not it is safety related or not, you certainly are within your rights to do so...
Old 04-25-2017, 04:46 AM

2008 C200 Avantgarde (W204)
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I had noticed that my ESL was making a funny sound when the steering wheel unlocked. It sound a little slow and strained like it was struggling to release the lock.
Sure enough, it gave up on my last week and needed replacement. They quoted me $975 installed. I contacted MB USA and of course they wanted to say something along the lines of these never fail and I must be the first one ever, etc.... I brought up information I have found on the forums such as MB World, etc and they agreed to give me $200 assistance. I was still out $775 but I guess any discount was better than nothing. Hoping that it finally gets a recall like the tail light issue.
Just curious, has anyone else "heard" their ESL struggling before it died on them?
Last February, my EIS/ESL died on me. I had my independent MB shop take care of the repairs. They repaired the EIS/ESL unit (by replacing the dead motor inside) and reprogrammed so that I can still use the same key.

Yes, over the past few years (3? 4? 5? - I can't really recall) I did notice the ESL struggling before it died. I guess this is the symptom we all have to watch out for.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by stormrider
Last February, my EIS/ESL died on me. I had my independent MB shop take care of the repairs. They repaired the EIS/ESL unit (by replacing the dead motor inside) and reprogrammed so that I can still use the same key.

Yes, over the past few years (3? 4? 5? - I can't really recall) I did notice the ESL struggling before it died. I guess this is the symptom we all have to watch out for.
I only had it happen once! $1900 for both eis/esl! Just out of warranty--thousands of cases worldwide and absolutely no help from MB! Got the car back on a Thursday and traded it in on a BMW on Saturday. I now drive a 650i gran Coupe. I LOVE it and would never ever think of even considering any Mercedes! I wish I could be more positive but I just can't!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 PM

2008 C200 Avantgarde (W204)
Originally Posted by Bluehardtail
I only had it happen once! $1900 for both eis/esl! Just out of warranty--thousands of cases worldwide and absolutely no help from MB! Got the car back on a Thursday and traded it in on a BMW on Saturday. I now drive a 650i gran Coupe. I LOVE it and would never ever think of even considering any Mercedes! I wish I could be more positive but I just can't!
My repair cost roughly $1,600. I won't even imagine how much it would cost me if I had brought it to the dealer instead.

The first thing that came to my mind when I found out about the breakdown was maybe its time to say bye-bye to my W204 and I started car shopping after that. But I had a re-think after realizing I didn't like the W205 and that the alternative (a brand new BMW 320d) may have poorer reliability/quality over my W204.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 AM

C300
Originally Posted by caligreenzzz
It's your EIS, I just had mine replaced last week....don't forgot to ask for 10% discount...
I am having the same problem, they're assuming EIS at the dealership. WHat is this 10% discount? Anything helps haha thanks
Old 07-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Juuju_o
I am having the same problem, they're assuming EIS at the dealership. WHat is this 10% discount? Anything helps haha thanks
It's alarming how common EIS and ESL issues are. I've added some repair solutions from Xemodex for those who are comfy pulling their column. I'm in the middle of doing one on a 2011 right now.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 MBZ S600
I came across few posts describing a well known issue caused by the electronic steering wheel module (ESL) of the Mercedes vehicles. In this blog I will only discuss the W204, W207 and W211 as the hardest to repair. (Feel free to ask or post regarding ESL issues with other models.)

How the lock system works: Mercedes vehicles have a Ignition Lock and Steering lock. Once you insert the key into the ignition, those two blocks authenticate the key and, if that was successful, unlocks the steering lock and allows you to access the engine computer, which will compare the authentication data and start the vehicle.

The authentication process is a verification/comparing of the stored information. We are only discussing the issues of the ESL failure. The ESL module has an electronic chip and the motor, electronic chip controls the operation of the motor, which locks the steering wheel by a use of a metal pin, moved by the motor.Through testing, manufacture knows the approximate amount of operations of the ESL module before it fails. Therefore, the chip controlling the motor is coded to a certain amount of life cycles (operations) until the module is so worn that needed to be replaced. Electronic chip can register a certain wear (for example the motor is not properly functioning). Once the electronic chip registered the failure of the ESL - it completely blocks the operation of the entire vehicle as follows: a fatal error is registered in the ESL chip, which literally dies and cannot be reused. When you enter the key in the ignition, the authentication process gets no response from the ESL unit and vehicle does not recognizes the key. As a result you cannot start your vehicle.

In order to get this vehicle up and running - you need to find a way to get a response from the ESL unit.

One of the most expensive way to deal with this issue is to tow your vehicle to a Mercedes-Benz dealer, who will replace the ESL unit and will have to perform the coding of the chip in the new ESL module so it recognizes the key to your particular vehicle.

The original ESL can be repaired, however you would need to replace the motor and the chip. If you would choose to replace chip only, the motor is likely to fail very soon. Even if you will replace the motor, there are gears which are also most probably old and may cause failure in just a few starts. Anyway, once the new chip is installed, the programming is still required. Programming is a complex procedure which requires a special equipment.

Getting a used ESL - you are up against the same problem - how long will it last and does it worth doing, considering the price of the programming?

The alternative option is to use an emulator. Emulator will act as your ESL unit and will allow your vehicle to start. You would have to make sure that your steering lock is not locked and removing the ESL will normally do it. The procedure is the same - the emulator is installed instead of the ESL unit and is programmed using special equipment.

Programming: the newly installed device needs to be programmed to act/recognize and be recognized by this vehicle. You can obtain the data from your steering lock unit and calculate the "password" for your particular vehicle. Then, using Mercedes data base you can calculate the file which needs to be written into your new device (whether it is an ESL or emulator). Write the new file and you are done.

I spend about 1k on the equipment as I love DIY.

pre-programmed ESL emulators: I saw some plug and play emulators at www.usemulators.com, but those will not work on w204. W207/W207 must have the emulator programmed.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:42 PM

C300
ESL/EIS

Hi guys, im having the same problem. I cant even put it in neutral to roll it out of my storage unit to put it on a trailer. Any suggestions? TIA!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:43 PM

2007 MBZ S600
Originally Posted by Air_Benz
Hi guys, im having the same problem. I cant even put it in neutral to roll it out of my storage unit to put it on a trailer. Any suggestions? TIA!
Remove the ESL, program the emulator and install it instead of the ESL. I do the programming and the emulator for 199
Old 04-20-2020, 11:22 AM

C300
Originally Posted by Paul McCartney
Remove the ESL, program the emulator and install it instead of the ESL. I do the programming and the emulator for 199

which one is that?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, 6M, Dynamic Handling Pack
Does an intermittently failing ESL always throw a code that can be detected with the STAR?

Mine is at the dealer now and I'm pretty sure I have the failing ESL (able to turn the key, but no reaction from the car when turning other than a faint tick tick). But they claimed they couldn't read any code from it.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 E500 Blk Opal/Stone, 321 AMG Package, Lighting Package, Harmon K., Parktronic, Keyless Go, Nav
Originally Posted by DrivingForce
Does an intermittently failing ESL always throw a code that can be detected with the STAR?

Mine is at the dealer now and I'm pretty sure I have the failing ESL (able to turn the key, but no reaction from the car when turning other than a faint tick tick). But they claimed they couldn't read any code from it.
That "tick tick" you're hearing is the motor trying to turn the the plastic gear wheel inside your ESL. If can be repaired by replacing the small motor inside. I've repaired many ESL units. Either by replacing the motor inside or replacing the ESL altogether with an emulator.

I work out of Whittier, CA. I can repair your ESL issue. Get in contact with me if you need advice.

562.233.0989 cell
-Michael
Old 03-20-2021, 01:53 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic, 2007 GL450, 2008 C300, 2018 GLE63 AMG
I can fix these issues