C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Customer right to observe service work at dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Customer right to observe service work at dealership

Is there a customer right to be able to observe the service performed at dealership to his car? is there anything in the laws?

Im asking because i have very low trust issues with mechanics/dealerships and im going for a CPO covered (hopefully) work done tomorrow morning.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 PM

2009 Mercedes C350
I doubt they would allow you to watch, or even come into the garage area its a huge liability for them and they would probably rather refuse service and make a customer unhappy than risk a lawsuit
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 PM

C300
that makes sense. oh no! how will i survive this?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I thought MB forced all dealers to remodel their show room and service areas this past year. Three of the dealers I've visited in CA have all been remodeled and the service area is now fully visible from the waiting area. There are huge glass walls that separate them but you can see your car being worked on while sitting comfortably in the waiting area enjoying a nice coffee or soda.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
16 E350 4M wagon, 70 911T
Originally Posted by thenew3
I thought MB forced all dealers to remodel their show room and service areas this past year. Three of the dealers I've visited in CA have all been remodeled and the service area is now fully visible from the waiting area. There are huge glass walls that separate them but you can see your car being worked on while sitting comfortably in the waiting area enjoying a nice coffee or soda.
The dealership where I bought my car is a glaring exception to the rule. This article is from almost three years ago and nothing has changed there. http://doylestown.patch.com/groups/p...ooking-to-move

I don't think it's hosted a Food Network show lately, however. http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/lu...g-0112288.html

In any event you can't see the service area from the waiting area.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by thenew3
My dealer's service area is an underground garage, underneath the dealership. It is not visible from the waiting area. My dealership was recently remodeled as well.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Well if you have very low trust and much watch your car being worked on, then maybe find another dealership that has a waiting area that allows you to view your car while its being worked on.

I guess only dealers in California are remodeling to allow full view of the service dept from the waiting area.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Can't see how only viewing can help. You will also need a 2 way speaker system to converse with the mechanic & also a panable zoom camera, all of which is recorded to a take home DVD.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:52 PM

2011 C300 4Matic
As an ASE Certified mechanic for 20 years now who used to own my own full service repair shop, I would just advise you to just go to another dealership that accommodates your concerns and needs if it makes you feel that uncomfortable not being able to watch them.

Unless they have one of these signs posted then go for it (obviously these rates shown are outdated and don't match standard MB rates but I found it funny for this case)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Originally Posted by ||||||||||
I doubt they would allow you to watch, or even come into the garage area its a huge liability for them and they would probably rather refuse service and make a customer unhappy than risk a lawsuit
At my local dealership (Fletcher Jones Imports in Las Vegas, NV), they have a TV screen dedicated to live video of the mechanic bays. There are four or five views that continuously cycle, so you can at least see that your car is being actively worked on.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:38 PM

C300
I survived!!! Not only that, i discovered that my original factory warranty was still in effect until summer, so no need to rely on CPO warranty. Also my service adviser was very helpful, and I spoke to the mechanic that worked on my car..who seems like a really informative guy and knows what he is doing. Replaced burned taillight connector/ground, brief inspection with no issues, and clean/wash of my car. And 0$ expenses from my wallet. Drove off the dealer lot with a big smile on my face.

Originally Posted by Carsy
Can't see how only viewing can help. You will also need a 2 way speaker system to converse with the mechanic & also a panable zoom camera, all of which is recorded to a take home DVD.
I would actually pay to get this option
Originally Posted by capt_paul
At my local dealership (Fletcher Jones Imports in Las Vegas, NV), they have a TV screen dedicated to live video of the mechanic bays. There are four or five views that continuously cycle, so you can at least see that your car is being actively worked on.
YEs the dealership had a tv in the waiting room which was live feed of the service room. But UNFORTUNATELY it was not working today and was getting fixed as I was waiting for my car.... fail!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC
My dealerships waiting room has a huge completely glass wall that leads to the service garage. You can see everyones cars, all the tools, everything. It also has a nice fireplace and a gift shop right next to it so you won't get bored!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 PM

2012 C250
I bought a 2010 Golf several years back, and they freely let me walk back to the service side while a tech finished preparing my car. Spoke with him for a little while he worked; really nice. During my first 1-year service, I was again allowed back to ask a couple questions and check out my car's underpinnings. But after that, the dealer underwent an ownership change and I was no longer allowed back. I understand the safety precautions and risks associated with having non-service personnel back there but it was fun.