C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Spoiler Fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Hello, (this is an AMG spoiler)

I recently got my spoiler installed by a body shop for free.(I know you all are saying why the F didn't you do it yourself, well when it comes to this kind of stuff, I am a profectionist and want it done perfect) When I got home, I realized the right side is not attached because the adhesive tape seems to be only sticking to the car but not the spoiler. The spoiler is also a little mis-aligned. I will definitely go back for him to fix it, but how can we remove it if it is securely taped down, but not so much on the right side? I do not want to ruin or bend the spoiler.

Thanks

Last edited by w204_Generic; 02-04-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
removing the spoiler isn't hard, just heat it good and use fishing line (I am sure there's videos on youtube on this). After removal, align it and either use new 3M tape or some other form of adhesive.

Using some tape to check for alignment prior to actually sticking the spoiler to the trunk really helps.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by makeinu0
removing the spoiler isn't hard, just heat it good and use fishing line (I am sure there's videos on youtube on this). After removal, align it and either use new 3M tape or some other form of adhesive.

Using some tape to check for alignment prior to actually sticking the spoiler to the trunk really helps.
No way to do this without heat?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by w204_Generic
No way to do this without heat?
No if you dont use heat you will tear or try to pry the tape without heat the adhesive will not soften.

Use either a hair dryer or a heat gun on low (be careful with the heat gun) and use fishing line or floss. Its no different a process from debadging a car, be patient, apply some constant pressure and heat as you see or feel the tape giving work the line through to fully release it. After it is off i like WD40 and a micro fiber cloth to remove residue, IMO its not as hard on the clear coat as some adhesive removers

Last edited by xaran; 02-05-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
I had this done by a body shop worker during his lunch break. Cost $20. All went fine, but the kit from Hong Kong had double sided tape and an adhesive. The little extra adhesive probably helps. Been on for 9 months and everything seems fine. The paint matched up well also.

PS This was the AMG style rear deck spoiler and it went on a 2013 C300 perfectly.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Please search for the word "urethane" and my name and read lots of prior discussion. Tape has too high a failure rate for all the reasons you will read about. It works often, but in a mission-critical situation such as a rear spoiler, you should use a more secure method than one which works merely "often".
Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I actually kind of regret not having a shop install my rear spoiler from SC dynamics. I'm not sure if the spoiler was made to fit well without the use of gel/glue/foam. Pre-fitment on the trunk without adhesive wasn't very good unless I planned on bending the spoiler at different angles in order to make full contact. My friend and I didn't do a professional job lol, but I still love it.

My friend and I purchased a roll of 5lb per inch 3M adhesive tape and some 10lb per inch adhesive tape. We use one roll on each end of the spoiler. The top side made good contact but the outer-rear side did not. In fact there seems to be a small gap from the outer edge to make contact. I was going to make a thread but I was too embarrassed to show everyone my noob mistake. I don't think its noticeable unless you catch it from the side. I think I should show you guys since this thread is already here and maybe you guy could help me out.

Anyways, in terms of strength of 3M tape: I was skeptical at first. When I first put the spoiler on I'd always check in my rear view mirror if it was still there while driving on the highway. For a whole week, I'd check the strength before I get in the car. It always felt solid, still feels solid. I still check very frequently. As for the bead of urethane: everything I do to my car, I want it to be easily reversible. I do not want an almost permanent spoiler, but that's just me. I've also heard a pretty nasty story about a C63 getting its spoiler torn off while in a parking lot...so "take Sportstick's advice if you want that extra peace of mind but the tape should do it's job as long as they're using 3M tape or better."
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Forgot to mention:

The Quick update is that I went back to the body shop and he just used a wedging tool to pry up the spoiler on one side and we just added more tape. Its fine now, but the only flaw is it still won't stay down on the right side. However, it is very minor and you won't be able to tell unless you are actually looking for it.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550
Installed a trunk spoiler on my w212 with 3m tape, would not stay down. So i did some researching, and decided to use adhesive that BMW uses to install trunk spoilers on their cars. Could not be happier! Seems like the trunk will shear off before the spoiler will!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Forgot to mention:

The Quick update is that I went back to the body shop and he just used a wedging tool to pry up the spoiler on one side and we just added more tape. Its fine now, but the only flaw is it still won't stay down on the right side. However, it is very minor and you won't be able to tell unless you are actually looking for it.
Should take care of that before you're driving on freeway at 70mph and the guy behind you suffers from a flying spoiler. Seriously, that thing can peel right off given enough force.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:55 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by makeinu0
Should take care of that before you're driving on freeway at 70mph and the guy behind you suffers from a flying spoiler. Seriously, that thing can peel right off given enough force.
It is not that loose....
Old 02-08-2014, 03:47 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Alright update:

I just HAD enough looking at that little gap on the right side, so I decided to take it off by using the hairdryer and floss method. Doing this worked flawlessly. I then bought new black industrial 3M tape instead of the gray ugly tape that came with the spoiler, and applied it in one strand of tape and no multiple strands. I had four people including myself align it and it came out flawlessly. No more gap, no more seeing the ugly gray tape, and perfect fitment. Looks like it came factory installed like this.

Thank you xaran and everyone else who suggested to use the floss method! I will be posting in a couple of weeks, as I am getting something done that is rare for these W204s, and want it to be a surprise. That is why I haven't posted any pictures for a while.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:57 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Cool, glad you took care of it.

Alright update:

I just HAD enough looking at that little gap on the right side, so I decided to take it off by using the hairdryer and floss method. Doing this worked flawlessly. I then bought new black industrial 3M tape instead of the gray ugly tape that came with the spoiler, and applied it in one strand of tape and no multiple strands. I had four people including myself align it and it came out flawlessly. No more gap, no more seeing the ugly gray tape, and perfect fitment. Looks like it came factory installed like this.

Thank you xaran and everyone else who suggested to use the floss method! I will be posting in a couple of weeks, as I am getting something done that is rare for these W204s, and want it to be a surprise. That is why I haven't posted any pictures for a while.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM

C300 sport
Here is an album of some pictures of the spoiler, sorry my car is dirty lol

http://imgur.com/a/aBAa6#0

If you guys feel that I could make the fitment any better, please let me know.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM

SLK 350 & C 300 4matic
Alright update:
yes rod ... I think you could have a cleaner job there...obvious gaps, which will eventually let go.

Looking forward to seeing Generic's fotos for comparison.

In this vein, who makes the best value spoiler?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Alright update:

Glad it worked out for you. Every body kit Ive seen, OEM or aftermarket uses some or all double sided tape to hold it on and they work.

Its great the info we get to share on these forums and hopefully save someone else the troubles.

Looking forward to seeing the "surprise" you are doing on the car, post pictures...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by xaran
Glad it worked out for you. Every body kit Ive seen, OEM or aftermarket uses some or all double sided tape to hold it on and they work.

Its great the info we get to share on these forums and hopefully save someone else the troubles.

Looking forward to seeing the "surprise" you are doing on the car, post pictures...
Yeah it is nice. This helps, because some people are probably too nervous to post such an easy mod screw up and feel embarrassed.

Anyways, the "surprise" is not big deal really, it is a clean mod that you don't see much on pre-facelift w204s.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:36 PM

C300 sport
Just an update on my spoiler re-fitment: I removed the spoiler and tried to re-fit without tape to see how it is. My memory from when I first had it installed was correct, this spoiler will not fit without massive gaps. The way I had it in the pictures before was almost as good as it gets without gaps along the top or edges. Maybe using a foam adhesive will provide better results. I've decided not to try refitting it myself because the best I would be able to do is minimally reduce the bottom gap. I'm going to take it to a shop to have them verify the fit. I'll keep it updated if anyone is interested.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
After all the surfaces are clean, wipe them down with alcohol to remove any remaining residues for a better bond.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM

C300 sport
Originally Posted by acr2001
After all the surfaces are clean, wipe them down with alcohol to remove any remaining residues for a better bond.
I always do, my friend, but thanks for the tip!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 PM

C300 sport
After getting multiple quotes up to $150(depends on time needed) for professional fitment, I decided to try my hand at it again before completely giving in. The fitment is better than before but still a small gap remains. I doubt even a professional installation can change the shape of the spoiler. I've tried contacting Tony at SC Dynamics by email AND via PM and after waiting two weeks, I have yet to receive an answer. I think they may have given me an LCI version of the spoiler by accident. I might just post on the spoiler sale thread, and request assistance with this issue but it appears they have been MIA for a while...

I'll post new pics if people are interested. I'll wait a little longer for SC dynamics to respond...