Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
new LED Projector Headlight Pair >

new LED Projector Headlight Pair

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-29-2015, 03:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

new LED Projector Headlight Pair

 
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 AM
  #76  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,279
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Seems like everyone is following the same tutorial, good to know!
Here is the video guys:


I dont think its common for only to go out no. I remember when i did my conversion they both would flicker a lot and i would get errors on the dash.

Good news is that your headlights are OK and only your ballast or bulb might be bad which in that case its a cheap and easy fix. Fishcake seems like a good seller i am sure he will take care of you.

Like i said though to give you some peace of mind try switching the ballasts and see if one works and the other one doesn't.

Also pic of your car with them on please?
Clkboi is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 AM
  #77  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sev7nflow View Post
I installed them myself.. Took about 2 hours. Was pretty frustrating for me since one headlight bolt on the left side when seated in the car is a pain in the *** to take out(the upside down bolt)

Didn't get a chance to make a DIY but if you YouTube w204 headlight removal, I followed the first hit.

As for the headlight is this a common issue for only one to go out? Or if it is truly a computer error should both be out?
The guy in the video makes it look so easy. His car is a pre-facelift W204, so were there any major differences between the video and your car?

Would you consider putting halogens in? How much work would it take to de-retrofit the HID system?
christophsky is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 AM
  #78  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,279
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by christophsky View Post
The guy in the video makes it look so easy. His car is a pre-facelift W204, so were there any major differences between the video and your car?

Would you consider putting halogens in? How much work would it take to de-retrofit the HID system?
I wouldn't put halogens in those headlights. The colors would be so uneven...

One of the kits on ebay already comes with the HID kit installed. After that its plug and play.
Clkboi is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 AM
  #79  
Junior Member
 
luc1f3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by MBSebas87 View Post
haha I got my HID kit from the retrofit source which i know is pricier than most kits out there but maybe that's why you have so many kits lol...haven't had to buy a replacement bulb or ballast in over 2 years
I always buy from DDM. I've only ever had 1 ballast go bad in the 7-8 cars & 3-4 bikes I've installed them in for the past 4 or so years.

I have so much extra because I always pull them out before I trade in a car and the next car NEVER uses the same bulbs and bikes only need one bulb but it's cheaper to buy a full kit.

Retrofit is a great source for retrofitting parts and kits but for just a basic PnP kit they are way overpriced and sell the same stuff as ddm.
luc1f3r is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM
  #80  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 122
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Clkboi View Post
Seems like everyone is following the same tutorial, good to know!
Here is the video guys:
W204 Headlamp Removal DIY - YouTube


I dont think its common for only to go out no. I remember when i did my conversion they both would flicker a lot and i would get errors on the dash.

Good news is that your headlights are OK and only your ballast or bulb might be bad which in that case its a cheap and easy fix. Fishcake seems like a good seller i am sure he will take care of you.

Like i said though to give you some peace of mind try switching the ballasts and see if one works and the other one doesn't.

Also pic of your car with them on please?
Snapped a pic last night for you guys


Left headlight still out... Any help? Losing sleep over here trying to figure out what went wrong since it worked fine for the first 10 mins!

Forgot to mention that I bought the headlights with the HID kit already preinstalled... They should not be giving me any error should they? THe seller said the kit would be error free
Attached Thumbnails new LED Projector Headlight Pair-20140429_211333.jpg  

Last edited by sev7nflow; 04-30-2014 at 10:47 AM.
sev7nflow is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 AM
  #81  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sev7nflow View Post
Snapped a pic last night for you guys


Left headlight still out... Any help? Losing sleep over here trying to figure out what went wrong since it worked fine for the first 10 mins!
Did you swap ballasts per clkboi's suggestion?
christophsky is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM
  #82  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 122
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by christophsky View Post
Did you swap ballasts per clkboi's suggestion?
will be trying tonight. Anyone have other suggestions so I can knock them out all in one day? Removing everything is a pain in the ***. Are there fuses for W204 headlights? I cant seem to find them on a fuse diagram
sev7nflow is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
  #83  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sev7nflow View Post
will be trying tonight. Anyone have other suggestions so I can knock them out all in one day? Removing everything is a pain in the ***. Are there fuses for W204 headlights? I cant seem to find them on a fuse diagram
I'm not sure if they are fused or not, but I suggest searching the forum. You could also try removing the ballasts and installing halogens, just to see if they turn on. I am losing faith in whatever cheap HID system the eBay seller bundled with the headlights.
christophsky is offline  
Old 04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
  #84  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 White C300 Sport
Wink

Not sure what dual filament bulb is...but the fishcake mentioned there's a shield/shutter inside the projector that controls the high/low beam pattern..maybe Seven can confirm?


Originally Posted by luc1f3r View Post
This, have you washed the car yet?



They don't make a 9005 dual filament bulb, how is the projector high and low?


You got ripped the **** off on your HIDs. This is my current spare / left over collection and there's maybe $100 here.
x942k6 is offline  
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 AM
  #85  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 4MATIC
Shame that these can only go on '12+ models? Or can they work on 08+?
ign92 is offline  
Old 05-01-2014, 01:59 AM
  #86  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,279
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by ign92 View Post
Shame that these can only go on '12+ models? Or can they work on 08+?
12+ only unless you change the hood!
Clkboi is offline  
Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 AM
  #87  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C204
Originally Posted by x942k6 View Post
Not sure what dual filament bulb is...but the fishcake mentioned there's a shield/shutter inside the projector that controls the high/low beam pattern..maybe Seven can confirm?
I was doubtful of this but after watching the video on page 2 again I think this is likely the case. You can see how the color temperature does not change when the high beams are switched on and the cut off line seems to disappear. That would indicate to me it is a true bi-xenon setup. This is impressive. The only reason I am assuming the h7 "cornering lights" are coming on when the high beams are switched on is so that the car doesnt think there is a bulb out.
polar13 is offline  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 PM
  #88  
Newbie
 
roseville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 c250
Originally Posted by polar13 View Post
I was doubtful of this but after watching the video on page 2 again I think this is likely the case. You can see how the color temperature does not change when the high beams are switched on and the cut off line seems to disappear. That would indicate to me it is a true bi-xenon setup. This is impressive. The only reason I am assuming the h7 "cornering lights" are coming on when the high beams are switched on is so that the car doesnt think there is a bulb out.
I had mine installed today. It's working great and it is a bi-xenon setup. The ballasts are getting really hot. I am not sure if it's normal.
roseville is offline  
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 PM
  #89  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 White C300 Sport
DO you mind taking some cutoff pics? I received my headlights today but seems like no shops are open on Saturday here in Seattle.

I think its normal for the ballast to be hot. But I bought a pair of Denso AMP ballast and 4300k bulbs from the retrofit source...

Originally Posted by roseville View Post
I had mine installed today. It's working great and it is a bi-xenon setup. The ballasts are getting really hot. I am not sure if it's normal.
x942k6 is offline  
Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 PM
  #90  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by x942k6 View Post
DO you mind taking some cutoff pics? I received my headlights today but seems like no shops are open on Saturday here in Seattle.

I think its normal for the ballast to be hot. But I bought a pair of Denso AMP ballast and 4300k bulbs from the retrofit source...
Mine were delivered today and I installed them myself. They seem to be working well, but I only drove around for about 30 minutes.

I'd like some feedback from the HID experts on here about the cutoff as shown in the attached pic (sorry for the excessive noise). It seems low, and when I was driving I felt as if not enough road was illuminated. The cutoff is also very well defined, as you can see in the pic. Do I need to make some adjustments?
Attached Thumbnails new LED Projector Headlight Pair-photo-1_cleaned.jpg  
christophsky is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 01:22 AM
  #91  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 White C300 Sport
Thanks for taking the pic. Seems like the headlight is aiming really low...when you say the light isnt illuminating the road enough, do you mean width or distance?

also, did you have to take the bumper off?




Originally Posted by christophsky View Post
Mine were delivered today and I installed them myself. They seem to be working well, but I only drove around for about 30 minutes.

I'd like some feedback from the HID experts on here about the cutoff as shown in the attached pic (sorry for the excessive noise). It seems low, and when I was driving I felt as if not enough road was illuminated. The cutoff is also very well defined, as you can see in the pic. Do I need to make some adjustments?
x942k6 is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 01:33 AM
  #92  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by x942k6 View Post
Thanks for taking the pic. Seems like the headlight is aiming really low...when you say the light isnt illuminating the road enough, do you mean width or distance?

also, did you have to take the bumper off?
I mean distance, which would make sense since it is aimed low. Do you know how this is adjusted?

I did not take the bumper completely off, I loosened it so it would hang down just like in the Youtube video previously mentioned in this thread.
christophsky is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 AM
  #93  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 White C300 Sport
I dont have the headlights with me...but i would imagine you should be able to adjust them just like the oem halogen headlight. There should have adjusters on the housing.

Originally Posted by christophsky View Post
I mean distance, which would make sense since it is aimed low. Do you know how this is adjusted?

I did not take the bumper completely off, I loosened it so it would hang down just like in the Youtube video previously mentioned in this thread.
x942k6 is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 AM
  #94  
Super Member
 
w204_Generic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 880
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
I have S2000 Projectors retrofitted inside my OEM headlights. No more ugly halogen....They are really nice and the cutoff is perfect, just need to align them still. I'm running 6000k 35W ballasts.
w204_Generic is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM
  #95  
Newbie
 
roseville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 c250
Originally Posted by x942k6 View Post
DO you mind taking some cutoff pics? I received my headlights today but seems like no shops are open on Saturday here in Seattle.

I think its normal for the ballast to be hot. But I bought a pair of Denso AMP ballast and 4300k bulbs from the retrofit source...
I will post some cutoff pictures tonight.
roseville is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM
  #96  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,279
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Received these yesterday.

First thought was wow beautiful. Installed them with no issues and they work like a charm.

For anyone looking to DIY this is no big deal. Simply follow the steps in the video and you should be OK.

A second person would help out a lot just so they can hold the wheel covers for you to access the bolts. ( I had to bribe my dad with beers)


Only worry with these headlights are bulbs going bad!


If any of the bulbs burns out here dont even think you will be able to change them from the engine bay. MAYBE the Low Beam if you have tiny hands but as far as the high beam forget about it.

Also if the signal LED or the "C" led bar go bad you pretty much will need a new headlight which means taking the bumper off again...

Really hoping these are good quality but time will tell.

Fitment is 99.9% OEM. I notice these headlight stick out from the hood a little more then the regular halogens.


Light output is great i didn't even need to register the beam. Cut off was perfect on mine.

Definitely a head turner though and they change the image of your car so much.

For anyone thinking to buy id say go ahead you wont be disappointed but be ready to do some work if they go bad.

Good luck


Some pic. Taken at night excuse the quality. If anyone needs to see additional ones at certain angle let me know!







Oh also these are Bi-Xenon which is pretty cool. I think you have to order the kit WITH the HID kit pre-installed though but dont quote me on it

Last edited by Clkboi; 05-03-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Clkboi is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 PM
  #97  
Junior Member
 
luc1f3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by dadirtypanda View Post
They came in today and installed.

To adjust the lights screw the screw on the top right of this picture.

Same as the stock lights.
luc1f3r is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 PM
  #98  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by luc1f3r View Post
To adjust the lights screw the screw on the top right of this picture.

Same as the stock lights.
Thanks. It required a 7/32" hex key.
christophsky is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 PM
  #99  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 White C300 Sport
Can someone take a few more pics against a wall?

Is 6000k too blue? I am worried it might be too blue in the rain...
x942k6 is offline  
Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 PM
  #100  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,279
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Unhappy

Originally Posted by x942k6 View Post
Can someone take a few more pics against a wall?

Is 6000k too blue? I am worried it might be too blue in the rain...

6k is Whitter than white don't worry,

8k is when you get that iceberg blue/green
Clkboi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: new LED Projector Headlight Pair


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: