C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Backup camera stayed on, even in Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
16 E350 4M wagon, 70 911T
Exclamation Backup camera stayed on, even in Drive

Early this morning I ran a quick errand on my way to my office. When I left the store, I backed out of the parking space to pull away and the backup camera display appeared in the COMAND display screen as per usual. After shifting from Reverse into Drive, the backup camera display remained on rather than reverting to the radio display! Turning the radio/COMAND off and on again did not change the display; the backup camera view remained. I drove about another 500 yards and pulled to the shoulder, then turned off the ignition and restarted the car. The display then reverted to its default radio display. It hasn't happened since, and I've shifted from Reverse to Drive and back several times in the intervening hours.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Was this an isolated occurrence, or can I expect it to happen again? It qualifies as the first non-"it's supposed to do that" moment I've had with the car since new. The car is fitted with the Multimedia Package, so the backup camera is the factory version (not an aftermarket camera) if that helps the analysis.

TIA.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
very strange indeed. it may have looked pretty neat to drive fast with the camera on hopefully it was truly an isolated incident.

my steering wheel is set to raise when exiting the car, and on just a couple of instances, it doesn't raise, or stays in it's upright position after starting the car.

even with new cars an electrical glitch is bound to happen here and there. it's when it happens over and over when you need to worry.

good luck with everything!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by djejglk
very strange indeed. it may have looked pretty neat to drive fast with the camera on hopefully it was truly an isolated incident.
Given that I drove only about a half mile before pulling over I don't think I got above 35mph, so not so much neat as disconcerting.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by crater64
Given that I drove only about a half mile before pulling over I don't think I got above 35mph, so not so much neat as disconcerting.
I bet it was a cool view though as you drove
Old 03-03-2015, 06:06 AM

It happened again yesterday afternoon! Same scenario, shifted from R into D and the camera stayed on as I drove off. This time, however, just turning the radio/COMAND off and on again cleared the display; I didn't need to turn off/restart the car. I very much doubt that it's something I'd be able to replicate for the dealer service department, particularly if it happens only once every 9 months or so. If it becomes more frequent, however, I will get it checked out.

Coincidence: a couple of weeks ago I had a Chevy Equinox as a rental and its backup camera stayed on in Drive every time I shifted from Reverse. It would resolve itself after driving for a few seconds and never required turning the unit off/on. It made me think about the problem I had in the C and wonder if it would happen again. Wonder no more, I guess.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sport Sedan
Never had that problem and I personally think it would be really cool and would actually enjoy this gift and not be concerned!