C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Pano Roof Shattered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Exclamation Pano Roof Shattered

So I was watching the world cup at a bar here in Houston and decided to go to a different bar at half time. When I got to my car, I immediately noticed my panoramic roof had shattered. At first, I thought someone had tried to break in but I quickly realized that the piece that had shattered was not the actual sunroof, but the small forward strip of glass that seems to have no reason to be glass at all.

Considering that when I got in my car and the in dash thermometer read 105° I am fairly certain that the glass buckled from the immense heat and therefore shattered into a trillion pieces (photo to come soon).

I will take my car to the dealership, however I'm just out of my manufacturer warranty (less than a year) so I doubt they will replace as a goodwill gesture but perhaps someone could lend me some advice as to how I could increase my chances. This is clearly a manufacturer defect because I would think a car should be able to tolerate a little sun.

I haven't had the parts/labor priced, but I assume its not a cheap repair. I do have comprehensive insurance with a $50 deduct so I can go that route if I have to. I just wanted to avoid going through insurance because I am claim free and I assume this might effect my premium.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c250, 08 vette blown with meth (680 rwhp)
another guy a few months ago had the same thing happen and the dealer was fighting him about fixing it. I believe his car was less than a year old. Both of my c class MB's have pano roofs in 115 degrees here in Vegas and no problems yet. good luck
Old 07-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 PP
That's a real bummer, sorry to hear! The thread speedraider is referring to is here

Please let us know how things pan out if you go to the dealer.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
I don't think this is pano-roof specific, but any moon roof in general. Good luck with your claim OP...keep us posted.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
So I was watching the world cup at a bar here in Houston and decided to go to a different bar at half time. When I got to my car, I immediately noticed my panoramic roof had shattered. At first, I thought someone had tried to break in but I quickly realized that the piece that had shattered was not the actual sunroof, but the small forward strip of glass that seems to have no reason to be glass at all.

Considering that when I got in my car and the in dash thermometer read 105° I am fairly certain that the glass buckled from the immense heat and therefore shattered into a trillion pieces (photo to come soon).

I will take my car to the dealership, however I'm just out of my manufacturer warranty (less than a year) so I doubt they will replace as a goodwill gesture but perhaps someone could lend me some advice as to how I could increase my chances. This is clearly a manufacturer defect because I would think a car should be able to tolerate a little sun.

I haven't had the parts/labor priced, but I assume its not a cheap repair. I do have comprehensive insurance with a $50 deduct so I can go that route if I have to. I just wanted to avoid going through insurance because I am claim free and I assume this might effect my premium.
A forum member that had his pano roof shatter contacted several local news stations regarding the incident with his service manager CC'd. Several of the stations wanted to do an interview. Mercedes answer was a free replacement, even though they "Didn't have to" as they were trying to put the blame on the forum member.

This is pretty heavy handed, but will probably work. It would have been a major safety concern if you had been driving at the time.