C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Which floor jack should I get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Which floor jack should I get?

I need to raise the front end of the car (driver's side) to remove the wheel and inner fender so that I can see which part of the washer components need to be replaced. I've got that check washer warning appearing on the dash and when I put fluid in the reservoir, it all runs out of some hard to see area.

Problem is that there are so many different floor jacks, I don't know which one to get.

Apparently, I can go low profile that starts at 3" or 5" and expands to 13" or other lengths and can handle 1,500 lbs to 3 tons.

Which one should I get? Keep in mind that this may be the one and only time I'll need to use it?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
Since it's a one-shot deal, why not just use the stock jack??? Will give you an excuse to use the white gloves the factory included.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Never ever use the stock jack to work under the car as it is a hazard and might cause your life or lost limbs. Always have a stand to hold the car up. I wont dare to even to put my foot under the car with a tiny jack in place and take a lot of caution wheen replacing my wheels as one small slip and the car might fall down.

So I will say invest on car stands instead.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Never ever use the stock jack to work under the car as it is a hazard and might cause your life or lost limbs. Always have a stand to hold the car up. I wont dare to even to put my foot under the car with a tiny jack in place and take a lot of caution wheen replacing my wheels as one small slip and the car might fall down.

I agree 100%, your life and well being is never worth saving some money or making a simple mistake. Invest in a pair of jack stands instead of relying on the stock jack alone. They are relatively cheap and might be useful later on. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo

Seems that I have a car stand up in the attic somewhere.

My thinking now is to use the stock car jack to raise the car and put the stand under the the car...then lower it such that the stand is supporting the weight of the car.

Not to necessarily take a shot at Mercedes, but couldn't they have made servicing the windshield washer assembly a bit easier to get to. You shouldn't have to remove the wheel and inner fender to get to the components.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 Sport
Without getting into huge debate over which brand, etc. based on what the OP noted, I would recommend a decent "low profile", 2-ton floor jack from either harbor freight, craftsman or even tirerack....AND a good set if Jack stands. Even with low profile jack, drive the front wheels up on 2x6s to reach the center front jack point easier.

NEVER use ANY Jack to support a car while working under it. Even the best hydraulic floor jacks can blow a seal and collapse.

Last edited by 95_993; 08-30-2014 at 09:09 AM.